Software
Houzz Logo Print
ladybug9a

SDLM ROUGE need information

Can anyone tell me what more? I have and love SDLM, just for Rouge from RPN, came with a bloom that looks nothing like SDLM, which is fine. Wondering about form, size etc. Thanks!

Comments (7)

  • 6 years ago

    I’ve grown it for about 4? years. These first two bloom pictures were taken when it was still in a large container.

    An unusual “double nosed” bloom. The second picture contains a more typical bloom along with the unusual one.

    The picture below shows the bush shape, somewhat. This was taken after it went into the ground.

    To my dismay, it’s not real happy with the spot I chose for it. I thought I was doing it a huge favor by giving it a coveted afternoon shade spot. It continues along, but it hasn’t been as healthy nor bloomed as well as it did it full sun.

    The bush shape has been remained fairly low and spreading for me. It’s about 3.5 Feet high, and a bit wider than that. I do keep cutting one side back to keep a little pathway between it and the next rose.

    To me, the blooms look nothing like SDLM’s blooms. They are not only much brighter pink, but the petals are arranged differently.

    I do enjoy this one, (which I call ‘Leveson Gower’). It really shines here in the months of September, October, and November for some reason. I’m glad you’re growing it. It’s a rose I don’t hear much about. I think you’ll like it. It does seem to be a heat lover. Lisa

    ladybug A 9a Houston area thanked Lisa Adams
  • 6 years ago

    This rose isn't a sport of SdlM, but was so-named because of a perceived similarity. The real darker sport of SdlM is 'Capitaine Dyel de Graville'.


    :-)


    ~Christopher

    ladybug A 9a Houston area thanked AquaEyes 7a NJ
  • 6 years ago

    I think your rose is really pretty, Lisa. Picking the right spot can be tricky. I have a couple I should move.

  • 6 years ago

    Thanks for this post. I've struck some cutting and now really hope they take! What a pretty rose. : ))

  • 6 years ago
    last modified: 6 years ago

    Mine came with a couple of blooms and it looked nothing like SDML, but I think I'll like her. I will report back next year, I will be putting her in full sun, hope she likes it there.

  • 6 years ago
    last modified: 6 years ago

    I wish I had put it full sun. Annie Laurie McDowell has since been planted behind it, (WAY more shade), and loves it there. I bought mine from Burlington Roses as SDLM Rouge, but after researching (I remember someone or several someone’s, pointed the facts out to me on this forum years ago), I decided that SDLM Rouge wasn’t really what I wanted to “know her by”. Since then, I’ve always called this rose ‘Leveson Gower’. Since I had just gotten it, it wasn’t hard to get used to calling it ‘Leveson Gower’. Mine bears very little resemblance to the SDLM that I grow, but that’s another story. My SDLM has been a big disappointment. Maybe I got a dud plant, because it looks absolutely nothing like Ingrid’s two specimens. (I hope hers are still doing ok). Mystic Beauty has been a superior plant to SDLM in every way in my garden.

    Funny that you get those double blooms too, Erasmus. I haven’t seen many, but this is one of the only roses that does this for me. I wonder what causes this? Nice pics, btw.

    I think you’ll like it, Rekha. It doesn’t get enormous, can display some unusual colors, and I can even detect a little scent, in the right weather. Lisa


    ladybug A 9a Houston area thanked Lisa Adams