FOR PROS
Business tools custom-built for our industry

Say 'so long' to generic business software. Houzz Pro is designed for industry professionals like you.

highcolddesert

How big a pot for curry leaf? (Murraya Koenigii)

HighColdDesert

I received a curry leaf plant in February in terrible condition, and transplanted it into a pot about 10 inches in diameter. It is now almost 2 feet tall, and growing fast. We've been harvesting leaves to fry into South Indian food regularly, and loving it.

I am in a cold-winter climate, so I had it out in the sun for the summer, and brought it in to a sunny south-facing window for the winter. Online info says it grows to 12-20 feet(!) but if I need to keep hauling it in and out every year, I'll have to keep it in a container.

This photo was mid September when I first brought it indoors. It's almost twice as tall now, a month and a half later.

1) What size of container is needed? Would pruning help?

2) My unheated solar greenhouse has nights below freezing for about 3 months of winter, with warm days. Rosemary and all the leafy greens thrive over the winter in it. Is there any chance that curry leaf plant would survive there? If so, I could plant it in the ground in the greenhouse and give it enough space.

Comment (1)