Software
Houzz Logo Print
katyajini

Chartreuse de Parme

6 years ago

Here is a rose that I did not know much about... but now that I see it, what a beauty! And noted to be very fragrant, even wafting the fragrance.


If you grow this rose, please comment how it is for you? The habit, the blooming-ness, fragrance, ease of culture, anything that you would like to say about it.


I get it is a small shrub? So best to get it grafted? Or own root would be OK?


Marlorena....I saw you decided to part with it? You know, like you, I dont much like HT, they dont look natural to me. A little too stiff and naked, I dont have the words at the moment. But I am buying so many as they are recommended for their fragrance and appearance of the flowers by many forum members. How did the total plant CdP look to you? The flowers do not look like HTs to me



Comments (19)

  • 6 years ago

    katy.... I thought it very hybrid tea but nice big blooms.. and I prefer to keep these in pots because they don't suit my style of gardening too much... and over time I like a change from them... that's the only reason I don't have it.... the fragrance is superb, no doubt of that... very large blooms mostly born singly... healthy foliage when I had it.... I might have liked a quicker repeat but the scent will knock you out...

    I wish I still had it if I'm honest...

    katyajini thanked User
  • 6 years ago

    Thanks Marlorena! I might give it a try!

  • 6 years ago
    last modified: 6 years ago

    I’ve had it a year, MultI flora from Palantine, so far rather disappointing. The plant is lanky and ugly with an alarming amount of dieback, fragrance is only moderate. Repeat bloom is ok. Color and form are quite distinctive .I’ve had some varieties that take a long time before fragrance develops...Aloha , for example, after being totally scentless 2.5 years and barely escaping the shovel, is finally smelling wonderful this fall. So maybe CdP is slow to develop, I’ll keep it another year. But there are others that are so amazingly scented from the 1st bloom and almost every bloom under every condition ever since, such as Lavender Crush, Life of the Party, Neil DIamond, Lemon Spice.

    katyajini thanked BenT (NorCal 9B Sunset 14)
  • 6 years ago

    I've had this one on my long-term wish list, so thanks everyone who's responding. GORGEOUS picture mossy!

  • 6 years ago
    last modified: 6 years ago

    Beautiful, large, fragrant blooms, when they come. It’s been a low growing HT type for me. I’m impressed by the blooms when I get them, which is not as often as I’d like. It’s disease free, but almost everything is in my dry climate. I too, have noticed quite a few dead parts that I cut off. It’s certainly not from winter damage in this climate (zone 10a). I’m not sure what’s going on with this one. It could be that it’s in an area with very poor soil or something, because the roses in that area just don’t grow like the rest of the garden does. It’s adjacent to the neighborhood park, and even though the park crew said they wouldn’t spray that area with weed killer anymore, I’m not 100% convinced that they have stopped. In that case, none of what I’m saying about CdP being a very slow grower and stingy bloomer would hold true for this rose across the board. Mine is on its own roots, btw. I don’t know if that helps at all, but this has been my experience with Chartreuse de Parme. Lisa

    Edited to add; I’ve grown my CdP for about 3? years.

    katyajini thanked Lisa Adams
  • 6 years ago
    last modified: 6 years ago

    Sounds so nice! Does it have a typical HT kind bush, one rose at the top a stem, or more shrub like? Lots of stems and dense? Thanks!

  • 6 years ago

    Lisa, while I have your attention, how did Indigo do for you this year? I'm still thinking of that one.

  • 6 years ago

    Vapor, it’s still in the pot ghetto. I have been really low on energy, and I haven’t been doing much other than keeping things alive. It’s growing one long cane, but I have not seen a single bloom. Great memory, Vap! Lisa

  • 6 years ago

    Shortish stems for me, but one to a stem. Like I said, I’m not sure what to think of CdP. It’s kind of shrubby for me. Lisa

    katyajini thanked Lisa Adams
  • 6 years ago
    last modified: 6 years ago

    Thanks Lisa and don't apologize. It's taken me two years to finally plant the majority of my pots and now I have a zillion more cuttings to tend. At least I know it doesn't like pot culture! I'm just surprised more folks don't grow it, so I always remember when you got it from Burling?

  • 6 years ago
    last modified: 6 years ago

    I actually got mine from High Country Roses. I think it’s been about 9 months ago. I’m not totally sure, but I think it was the very last time I ordered any new roses. I’ve finally put a stop to the rose ordering obsession, and I’m trying to work on what I have. There’s only so much space, and I have only so much energy. I’m not nearly as strong as I was a year or two ago, so it’s getting difficult to get things done. I work on one little thing at a time. Indigo always enticed me, and I needed to use the discount gift certificate I had purchased when HCR had that gift certificate special. I also got Tamora, which I really would like to get in the ground. I was accidentally sent a wrong rose in that order, which Matt fixed immediately. The mistake rose I first received was a mini, called ‘Innocence’. That little neglected rose has been blooming up a storm, right next to Indigo. Go figure!

    The weather should start cooling down anytime now. We just have to get through our Santa Ana season, and then it should be good planting time. I just hope “good planting time” coincides with “feeling up to it time”!

    Katyajini, I’ll try to get a picture of my CdP bush for you today or tomorrow. It’s out front and I’m not dressed yet. I do need to get out front and see how the roses out front weathered the Santa Ana we’re still in the midst of. IIRC, CdP didn’t have any buds on it a short week ago, so it will just be a picture of my small plant without blooms. Lisa

    katyajini thanked Lisa Adams
  • 6 years ago

    Thank you Lisa, the blooms are indeed beautiful, in everyone's pictures, as they are in your picture. I would love to see the plant if you find the time. We are having non stop rain. Its either pouring or drizzling but it does not stop. I wish I could send you guys in CA most of it. What a tragedy that is coming to pass.

  • 6 years ago

    Sorry it took me so long to get a picture. The roses out front didn’t fare as well as the ones in the backyard. They took the full force of the wind.

    Here’s my poor Chartreuse de Parme. Lisa

    katyajini thanked Lisa Adams
  • 6 years ago

    My Chartreuse De Parme looks just like Lisa’s ...here a cane, there a cane.

    katyajini thanked BenT (NorCal 9B Sunset 14)
  • 6 years ago

    That’s kind of a relief to hear, Ben. If yours doesn’t look that great, maybe it isn’t just me and something I’m not doing right for CdP. The blooms are amazing, but mine really don’t come often enough for me to forgive its poor growth and bush form. Lisa

    katyajini thanked Lisa Adams
  • 6 years ago

    CdP is ending its 3rd summer here in my zone 5 with southern exposure. I mulch the base about 6" for winter and it dies back to the snow or mulch line as most of my modern roses do. The fragrance is divine, and so is the color. It is a purplish hot pink that is hard to capture in photos. It stays the size (<3') and upright of a hybrid tea, but the flower has an old-fashioned style and is packed with petals.

    katyajini thanked Bumblekim
  • 6 years ago
    last modified: 6 years ago

    Thank you for that picture Lisa. Its good to know....BenT thank you too. BumbleKim I am attracted to that color and fragrance!



  • 6 years ago

    Bumblekim, thanks for the note of encouragement from a fellow zone 5 gardener. I've tried mine in the south side of my zone 5 garden and failed to overwinter it at least two times. I suspect the magic word "snow line" in your message is the key, as it can make a huge difference for winter survival during the colder months. I'm glad it does well for you, but we don't have reliable snow cover and I suspect it just won't survive here.

    Vap, Indigo survives fine here in a relatively poor spot but it doesn't rebloom much. Mostly spring bloom with a flower here and there later on.
    Cynthia