Software
Houzz Logo Print
webuser_39177052745

Help me choose Island Light

6 years ago

Thought I loved one, then I received the second one today...now I can't decide.

Hubby is OK with both, even though he prefers one over the other.

Kitchen cabinets are:

White Dove

Brass Handles

Stainless Steel Hood, range, & fridge

Thank you!




Comments (54)

  • 6 years ago

    Thanks Cheryl!

  • PRO
    6 years ago

    IMO a lot will depend on the ceiling height for hanging so I am nort much help there I find the one on the right quite cluncky and a PITA to keep clean in a kitchen with all the addons etc.

    Jora thanked Patricia Colwell Consulting
  • PRO
    6 years ago

    Hard to say without seeing your kitchen. Just as a matter of design though I prefer the fixture on the right. Good luck!

    Jora thanked Norwood Architects
  • 6 years ago

    Patricia - Kitchen ceiling height is 10'. Unfortunately, I'm a regular cleaner, so that won't bother me.

    Norwood - Completely agree! Deign wise, they both look great. That's why it's so difficult to choose! :)

    Steph - Thank you!


  • 6 years ago

    I like them both as well but IMO I would take a rod over a chain..


    Jora thanked Jeanne Seefus
  • 6 years ago

    Both gorgeous but I prefer No. 1. Has a nice presence. I agree with the rod debate. Where is it from? Just lovely.


    Jora thanked M K
  • 6 years ago

    M K - Which are you referring to as No. 1? The one on the right? It's from Lamps Plus! Found it while searching on pinterest.


  • 6 years ago

    Left one gets my vote.

    Jora thanked kkid77
  • 6 years ago

    Oh sorry lol wasn’t clear! I love the one the left! The all-gold.

    Jora thanked M K
  • 6 years ago

    Did you end up choosing? I am in a similar dilemma!

    Jora thanked M K
  • 6 years ago

    I like both!! but I'm going to go with the left because it's got a rod and has a cleaner look to it

    good luck!

    Jora thanked Deb M
  • 6 years ago

    I prefer the all brass fixture. The other one is pretty, but too fussy.

    Jora thanked T B
  • 6 years ago

    Left fixture, all brass.

    Jora thanked megs1030
  • 6 years ago

    M K, not yet. Having them both installed and then will decide. Easier to make a decision that way!

    Would you like to post yours? I'd love to see your choices.

  • 6 years ago

    I have another thread going lol. I will attach it for you. Do you have pics of your kitchen?

    Jora thanked M K
  • PRO
    6 years ago

    I like the one on the right, it looks unique.


    Jora thanked Filipe Custom Woodwork
  • Jora thanked M K
  • 6 years ago

    Lovely kitchen. I just responded to your post! I actually LOVE the ones your currently have up.

  • 6 years ago

    Thank you all!

    I had hubby install one of the lights, the one on the right, tonights. PAIN IN THE REAR to put up. Decided that. I def NOT a fan of the chain. If the piece was attached by a rod, I might seriously think about it. SOOOO, now we are re-thinking it all.


    Below is the picture of our kitchen 'in the works'.

    Thinking of whether to put in three lights in chrome, three in brass, or just one modern chandelier right over the center of the island. I'll post pix of the light fixtures I'm thinking about. I would also love suggestions on any other items.


  • 6 years ago

    Here are a few pix.

    Please note that thee 'modern' ones are not the exact ones I'm thinking about. But something along the lines, but not quite as intrusive.


    Three of the below chrome?



    Three of the below brass?


    Only ONE of something similar to the two below?




  • PRO
    6 years ago

    With a 10’ ceiling, a post style it would require a couple rods and that is a problem. That last fixture is very pricey and it would be a cleaning nightmare. What about white with gold inner lining. Bbl

    Jora thanked Flo Mangan
  • 6 years ago

    HI there Flo. Glad you are here!

    I assumed the last fixture might be pricey, but put it in to give all of you an idea.

    I'm not sure what you mean by 'a post style requiring a couple of rods'. Can you please explain?

    Also, any pix you can send my way of what you would suggest would be fantastic!

    Thank you again.

  • PRO
    6 years ago

    Posts usually come in 6”-12-24” lengths. With countertop at 36” (btw that island countertop is stunning!!!) and 30” from bottom of fixture to countertop gets you around 66” or 5.5 feet. Then assume the fixture is 16” tall. That gets you to about 7’. That means you need 3’ of post or chain. Chain is much easier to deal with. These are quite beautiful. They come in brass too.

  • PRO
    6 years ago

    Interesting one

    Jora thanked Flo Mangan
  • PRO
    6 years ago

    Check around on Lightogy.com

    Jora thanked Flo Mangan
  • 6 years ago
    last modified: 6 years ago

    Thank you Flo, for both the explanation as well as. the suggestions. I hadn't taken the length of the rod into consideration, simply because I'm not a fan of chains!

    I really like the last one you posted.

    I'm getting on that site now. See what I can find.


  • PRO
    6 years ago

    Jora. Is your island Taj Majal and a great slab and fabrication. Or is it onyx? It is so gorgeous!

    Jora thanked Flo Mangan
  • 6 years ago

    Thank you for the compliment Flo.

    Store tagged it as Moscovita Oro, but it's actually Cristallo.

    We'd originally picked, and purchased, Labradorite Blue, but my heart fluttered when I saw this, and switched at the last minute. Hubby still wishes we'd gone with L.B.

    I ADORE Onyx, and would have put it in the kitchen in a heart beat if it wasn't so porous! :)

  • PRO
    6 years ago

    Both stones are gorgeous, but this will stand the test of time better. Great choice.

    Jora thanked Flo Mangan
  • PRO
    6 years ago

    Did you see this one on Lightology! Price and delivery timing are nuts but OMG the styling and what it would do to dazzle your stone would be amazing. This is cool too.

    Jora thanked Flo Mangan
  • 6 years ago

    You have a beautiful kitchen. I'm sure anything you finally choose will look wonderful. Your island top is to die for. I think after seeing the picture that the brass is the the choice.

    Jora thanked Cheryl Smith
  • 6 years ago
    last modified: 6 years ago

    Simplicity and ease of cleaning would be priorities for me. Kitchens can be such grimy places. I think a rod would be easier to keep clean than a chain.

    Jora thanked decoenthusiaste
  • 6 years ago

    Definitely something with brass. I like the linear chandelier idea as it seems to best go with the glam look of your kitchen. And it doesn't appear that you need task lighting, per se, over your island

    Jora thanked Gcubed
  • 6 years ago

    Hi Everyone,

    Flo, I'd love your recommend lights. We need to purchase two really nice chandeliers (on for the family room and another for the stair landing, and would prefer to save up for those. GORGEOUS THOUGH! :). Thank you.

    we've done so many things to the house already, and we also still need two cthat I don't think I want to spend quite that much! GORGEOUS though.

    Cheryl, Thank you! I'm def. gearing towards brass, but - like we all do - started questioning myself.

    deco - I agree with you completely. I am already a neat freak, and can see myself doing a daily cleaning with anything we put up! :). No joke!

    Gcubed - The picture I took was with an iPhone, so the lighting doesn't quite show through, but you are correct. The kitchen is very bright and we do not need any task lighting.

    One reason that I'm gearing towards no pendent lighting, and prefer to go with ONE linear chandelier is because, I believe, it will take away from the brightness of our kitchen with the existing canned lights. :)

    I know exactly what I want (in my head), I'm just having a hard time finding it.

    I'll try to post a little later again. Thank you all! :)

  • PRO
    6 years ago

    I think the plainer styling would be best. But I never let a moment for a great lighting solution get away. Have you considered a linear crystal chandy! That could be great too.

    Jora thanked Flo Mangan
  • PRO
    6 years ago

    Along this line.

    Jora thanked Flo Mangan
  • 6 years ago
    last modified: 6 years ago

    HI Flo,

    This s along the lines I was thinking...



  • PRO
    6 years ago

    I love that. However check to see how long the wires are to get in down enough to b viewed properly. You have recessed lighting so actual light isn’t vital. If I recall that doesn’t through much light. Also ask if replacement lights come with it or if you can purchase extra light leafs. You probably need 2 of those. How wide is your island?

  • PRO
    6 years ago

    So many errors. This darn IOS update is miserable on words and keyboard. Hope you can figure out what I was trying to say. ;)

  • 6 years ago

    Thank you for the GREAT pointers Flo. I will make sure to keep them in mind.

    Our Island is 7' long.

    The pix dropped into my FB page (from Wayfair), but. I'm having. a difficult time locating it on their site.

    I don't know if this is the 'one', but thinking of something along these lines. I would prefer to see in person prior to purchase, or purchase from a site that doesn't charge me for the return if it doesn't work out. I find that, with professional photographers and proper lighting, almost everything looks much better when shopping online.


    Your message came through without any grammatical/spelling errors. OR at least none I noticed! :)


  • PRO
    6 years ago

    Smart thinking. I always want to see fixtures in person whenever possible. Even smaller pieces from same collection so you can assess quality. I have a source for that I believe. Let me look and see if I can find it.

    Jora thanked Flo Mangan
  • 6 years ago

    Thank you Flo! :)


  • 6 years ago

    Love the one on the right. So unique and would really pop in that gorgeous kitchen. The color of the one on the left is beautiful but the design a lot more common IHMO.

    Jora thanked kriii
  • 6 years ago

    kriii...Thank you! I felt the same when I first saw it. STUNNING light and I loved that it's not the 'norm' pendent light.

    Hubby installed one last night, and it really doesn't work in the space, and I HATE chain.

    I really appreciate your input. :)

  • PRO
    6 years ago

    Found it. Not bad price.

  • PRO
    6 years ago

    Wayfair Donellen 45 light Firefly Sputnik chandelier

    Jora thanked Flo Mangan
  • PRO
    6 years ago

    Here is one you posted.

    Jora thanked Flo Mangan
  • PRO
    6 years ago

    Having trouble posting it. But go to Wayfair and in the search box enter Nalley Firefly 108 light LED Wagon Wheel chandelier $749.99

    Jora thanked Flo Mangan
  • 6 years ago

    Hi Flo, you are AMAZING!

    Thank you for finding it. For some reason I could not bring it up in Wayfair!

    In your first pix the chandelier looks round, not linear. Could very well be my computer.

    Do you know if there is any other source that sell either the above, or something similar, which I can see in person first?

    Also, below is a pix of a chandelier we have in the hallway leading to the kitchen.

    I'm looking along these lines, only linear and in brass - or mix of brass/chrome! :)

    Excuse the poor lighting. It's night and using iPhone!



  • 6 years ago

    Just checked Wayfair and it is round, not linear....and from the pix, it looks very plastic. That will BUG me forever. I thought it was similar branching to my light above.

    The search continues.....