Software
Houzz Logo Print
ben_tso

What new roses did you order for 2020?

I thought it’d be fun for us to see what everyone else has ordered!

Comments (28)

  • 6 years ago

    Here’s my orders for 2020:


    Hortico

    2 Chandos Beauty


    Regan

    Calfornia Dreamin

    Marc Chagall

    Julie Andrews


    Palatine

    Dee-Lish

    2 Augusta Louise

    Double Delight


    Edmunds

    Perfume Factory

    Fun in the Sun

    Charlene Princesse De Monaco

    Scentuous


    I’ll get a Queen of Elegance bud-n-bloom potted to support a local nursery.

  • 6 years ago

    I ordered Augusta Louise of course...LOL

    Abe Darby, Belle Sans Flatterie, Jenny Duval, Sally Holmes, Madame Isaac P, Henri Martin, Darcy Bussell, Peace, an extra Miss AAB and several extra Francis Dubreuils and Boleros, Queen of Denmark, and I think I'm forgetting some LOL.

  • 6 years ago
    last modified: 6 years ago

    Ohhh I’ll have to enjoy everyone else’s list. I will only be getting quicksilver from palatine and lady Emma from David Austin. I’ll be taking a break from gardening after this fall to study and take boards in early June. I have promised myself a big bunch of roses if I pass =).

    Pippa you will love Augusta L. I have never seen a better hybrid tea. This rose has bloomed all year and very healthy. This is from the weekend and we already had some frost.One day I want to plant a big batch of AL together, I bet it would be glorious.

  • 6 years ago

    TOO many.


    This week I have Justine Ramet coming.

    And for 2020:


    Eugene de Beauharnais

    Comtesse Emmeline de Guigne

    Comtesse Festetics Hamilton

    Fair Bianca

    Arthur de Sansal

    Mary Washington



  • 6 years ago

    Hmmm...not done ordering as I really enjoy Black Friday rose shopping. Last year was the first time I did it and it was such a fun start to the holiday season.

    But I have placed a couple orders....

    Regan’s


    Generous Gardener

    Rose Marie

    Brother Cadfael

    Lavender Crush

    Stormy Weather


    Palatine’s

    Augusta Louise

    Pomponella

    Duchess de Montebello

  • 6 years ago

    I have already received a good chunk of what will be planted in the spring of 2020 from K&M

    2 Ring of Fire

    1 Liz's Charm

    1 Hot Prince

    1 Scepter d' Isle

    1 Soroptimist International

    Still to come some time in the next week or two from Wisconsin Roses.

    3 Robert Bruce


  • 6 years ago

    This order is mostly based on what looks great at the USC rose garden. I have no idea where I’m going to put these, maybe I’ll just turn the whole front yard into a solid hedge

    Regan-

    Stainless Steel

    Hotel California

    Koko Loko

    Marmalade Skies

    Camille Pisarro

    I would also like to get Life of the Party but haven’t bought it yet

  • 6 years ago
    last modified: 6 years ago

    Fun idea Ben!

    My Palatine order (will arrive by 11/19!):

    Ascot, Barock, Mothersday (polyantha), Desmond Tutu, Poseidon, Honeymoon Arborrose (Black Caviar was cancelled rom this order and hope to get it next year)

    RVR: Mrs William G Koning (poly)

    ARE: Mrs R.M. Finch (poly)

    Regans: Queen of Elegance is in my cart , just wanted to do more research as there is not much out there yet!

    Not sure where they will all go as I still have Yolande Aragon, Paul Bocuse, Florence delattre, Mme Joseph Bonnaire, Gloire Lyonnaise, Snowbird, La Reine and Alfred Colomb in pots.... !

  • 6 years ago
    last modified: 6 years ago

    I’m still considering, but so far for 2020 I’ve ordered:

    - Evelyn
    - Kew Gardens
    - The Lark Ascending

    Plus I just received a Princess Charlene de Monaco from Heirloom yesterday - I think this late in the season counts as 2020 :o)

    Note: I was going to cancel The Lark Ascending as I have one already, and changed my mind about the spot I was thinking of. But, it’s on the same DA bare root order as Evelyn, which is now listed as sold out on the DA website? Possible they might still update their inventory, but I didn’t want to risk updating the order & losing my place in the Evelyn queue....

  • 6 years ago

    So far:


    2 Augusta Louise, Deelish


    I am considering Julie Andrews, Betty White, and Emily Brontë.

  • 6 years ago

    ..just a few.. most of these bare roots are already in the ground..

    'Sally Holmes'.... 'Souvenir de St. Anne's'... 'Commandant Beaurepaire'... 'Mrs. Paul'... 'Duchesse de Brabant'... 'Liverpool Hope'... 'Jude The Obscure'... 'England's Rose'...

    I may order a few from Petales de Roses in France... Brexit permitting... and the next Austin in March at the end of the season... depends on what they offer there at the time... I may also be wanting 'General Kleber' a Moss..

  • 6 years ago

    From Rosaplant, in Poland: Lavender Flower Circus,EstherQueen of Persia,Purple Lodge,Persian Dawn, Picotee Vaza,Royal Celebration,and perfume Flower Circus. Yes, I decided to take the risk on getting PFC...I also wanted Lavender Vaza, but it had sold out.

  • 6 years ago

    Ordered from High Country Roses and shipping next spring are Oranges N Lemons (shrub) and Jean Kenneally (mini). Still watching for some sales on a few others that I am on the fence about so it might be more later.

  • 6 years ago

    I hope people will take pictures of some of these flowers, especially the relatively unknown ones, and post the here. :)

  • 6 years ago

    Ben, I am torn between Easter Basket and Rosie the Riveter. Don't you grow Rosie?

    If I am not mistaken it is one that you really like.

  • 6 years ago

    So far,

    Violet's Pride

    Poseidon

    Quicksilver

    Blue Boy (Interplant)

    Indigo

    Old Port

    The Prince

    Still looking for own-roots Evelyn, Spirit of Freedom, Huntington and Charles Rennie Mackintosh.

  • 6 years ago

    Boy oh boy, what a color.

    Thanks Ben

  • 6 years ago

    For 2020, so far have just ordered from Regan Roses:

    Della Reese

    Singin in the Rain

    Burst of Joy

    Queen of Elegance

    Julie Andrews

    Elle

    Hollywood Star

    Rainbow Sorbet

    Distant Drums

    I have my Edmunds order planned as well as my David Austin order. I have an order in with Hortico, but Nicole cant tell me if they are available or not and might not be able to until January. Know I am ordering too many, but so many I really want to grow! Its hard to quit!

    Judith

  • 6 years ago

    julie andrews


    a replacement koko loko that barely got started then died


    Lavender crush


    marc chagall


    maurice utrillo


    barkarole


    acropolis


    earth angel


    missed out on pomon veranda again this year, which was my first choice. maybe buying some more will make up for it.

  • 6 years ago

    Thanks to the suggestions on this board, I ordered the following from Regan:

    Laguna

    Fiji

    Earth Angel

    Olivia Austin

    Pretty in Pink Eden

    Repeating Cecile Bruner CI


    Regan’s site says the Cecile Bruner is the repeat blooming kind and I sure hope it’s true!


    I am only looking for one more this year: a white climber with pink bud, just like Mme Alfred Carriere, but hardy for zone 6. My best friend from childhood had one on her family’s fence and I still remember the sweet fragrance. Their house has been replaced by a high rise and her mother has passed away years ago but I always remember their beautiful little garden and her lovely family. I guess this is why white climbing roses will always have a special place in my heart.

  • 6 years ago

    Ben - I think we may have similar tastes. Lots of overlap!


    And, since you seem on top of things - do you know anything about Sweet Honey Kormecaso -- a Kordes rose that won 2020 rose of the year in England (Hampton Court)? Web says, "But this award-winning plant has many more accolades to its name. In addition to the Rose of the Year title, Sweet Honey has received the prestigious German ADR certificate and medals in International Rose Trials at Baden-Baden, Belfast, Courtrai, Lyon and Paris."





  • 6 years ago

    I saw this rose online earlier in the year. Does anyone know if it will be sold in the US and if so, who will sell it? Looks like a must have for me.........

    Judith

  • 6 years ago

    Three of my "bucket list" roses, coming in the spring, from Wisconsin Roses:

    Twice in a Blue Moon

    Permanent Wave

    Pride of England

    I so hope I can get it right this time!! A story for another thread, perhaps, but three years ago I bought eight roses and managed to kill them all. This is my first try after that debacle.....Hope they grow. If I mess up this time, I'm going back to tomatoes and brocolli.

  • 6 years ago

    Verdantcroft -- were you a victim of a series of unfortunate events -- or did you do something to kill them and now you know what went wrong? I'd love to hear your story! I think the easiest roses I've grown is a CA native rose and floribunda Hot Cocoa and a climber called High Hopes. I hope your new roses knock your socks off!


    Those in cold climates -- do you grow Griffith Buck roses? I don't need the cold hardiness, but I love Distant Drums.

  • 6 years ago

    Deborah

    I had also seen the pics of Sweet Honey, but didn’t know of anyone who was importing her.


    Verdancroft,

    Permanent Wave, how exciting, haven’t seen that one in ages, always loved how the name matched the bloom.

  • 6 years ago

    I have had Permanent Wave for years and love it - glad to see it available again. It roots easily from cuttings so you might have fun trying that and making more.

    Judith

  • 6 years ago

    I’m trying to not order any. What a challenge! But I did finally get Darcy Bussell this past season and love it. It had blooms, not loaded, but about all season and give it plenty of room to grow!