dianela7bnorthal

Need help from all those great color/design people here please

dianela7bnorthal
last modified: November 7, 2019

ok so this is kind of jumping the gun since my project is a year away, but it is killing me. Those of you with great imagination, and design talent can probably think through it better than I can.

ok so this house will be all white washed, windows replaced with clear picture windows (no lines in the windows at all just clean clear glass). The metal railings will be painted oil rubbed bronze and the wood fake shutters possible cleaned and clear coated. I want a pergola extending off the house on front of house like the image posted at the bottom. The front of the house has no front door, just one to the side so there won’t be anyone walking under the pergola, thorns are not a concern.

My big problem is I can’t decide if I want pink, yellow or apricot roses on the pergola. Should I grow different colors in each post??? Maybe that’s just too weird and I probably should pick one color. My big debate is between spirit of freedom, pinks like James Galway or awakening (no traffic zone here) or a yellow like teasing Georgia or even peach like lady of Shalot.

What would look the best against a white brick house. I just can’t picture it, maybe it will be easier once it is white. I would appreciate any ideas you can offer.

sorry all this has been pressured washed but I didn't retake the picture. The soffit will be white also.

I want something like this along the entire front with climbing roses.

• oursteelers 8B PNW

I love pink against white so my vote is for Spirit of Freedom!

dianela7bnorthal thanked oursteelers 8B PNW
  • dianela7bnorthal

Ohhhh thank you oursteelers for your comment. It really is very hard to choose. Things used to be better when I only liked white and pink. So pick one rose and repeat? Or would different pinks in similar color range work?

Dinning room needs help!! Please, all dine and design LOVERS, Help!!

WOW - you have received tons of ideas. I couldn't help but add another thought for you because I recently updated a dining room table/chair set that I found at an antique store very similar to yours. I needed chairs for my new trellis table, and my girlfriend needed a table so we split it up. My chairs were the same coloring as yours even down to the upholstered seat cushions - very 60's (see before photo below). I chalk painted the wood in a cashmere taupe and added a small amount of distressing by adding 2 coats of liming wax followed by a charcoal wax. I then reupholstered the seats in a beautiful new natural linen. I LOVE how they turned out. My girlfriend's house is more rustic and she chalk painted her table in black and distressed the edges slightly to bring out the original wood color. Depending on what your style is - more French or more rustic - you could consider something similar. Here are the before and after photos of the chairs. I found 6 chairs, but wanted 8 for my table. So, I purchased 2 parsons chairs and made these slipcovers for them to create the 8 total chairs I wanted. You could also consider the slipcover idea on the 2 chairs you have with the cane tears. .

Moving into a new house, and would like some suggestions from all of you wonderful people on houzz. This bathr

Luckily... the layout seems functional, so you will save lots by not having to more any plumbing. I would replace the flooring, countertop,hardware, plumbing fixtures, enamel the cabinetry and re tile the wall. I would put together a budget and assess what is most important to you of those items. Just because you live on the water, you don't have to go putting shells in your bathroom. If you want to introduce the "ocean" feeling, I would select blues, grays and whites as the color scheme. This way you still get the "ocean" vibe but it doesn't look "themed." I like the idea of the round glass tiles that have the "bubble" look otherwise a clean subway tile is classic and affordable. You could even choose a color, depending on which style you are going for. Best of luck!

Decor dumb here. Need all the help I can get please.

I would stay away from any more dark wood. Go light and bright. http://www.potterybarn.com/products/tanner-coffee-table/?pkey=ccoffee-side-console-tables|coffee-tables|&&ccoffee-side-console-tables|coffee-tables| http://www.potterybarn.com/products/louise-marble-nesting-tables-set-of-three/?pkey=ccoffee-side-console-tables|coffee-tables|&&ccoffee-side-console-tables|coffee-tables| http://www.westelm.com/products/rustic-storage-coffee-table-walnut-antique-brass-h1182/?pkey=ccoffee-side-tables|coffee-tables| http://www.havertys.com/furniture/occasional-tables/antigua-cocktail-table http://www.havertys.com/furniture/occasional-tables/denmark-cocktail-table

Need help in kitchen please from design newbie

Yes - my countertops are quartz. I was fortunate to be able to see a large piece of it as I would not have picked it from a sample. It has some warmer creams and pearlescent areas that help it to read more "warm" which is good with wood cabinets. I also did not pick my backsplash till after the countertops were in. I thought I wanted white, but found with the whole countertop in that the cream looked better in my case. I like Darcy's soapstone sink, but it would require major renovation to your sink base cabinet - as would most farmhouse sinks. Since your cabinets were made by a local carpenter, he may be able to help with that - the doors under the sink will need to be made smaller, or else you can use a curtain. I actually think this is a sweet look, but I have no place for my wastebasket but under the sink and a curtain would not keep the dogs out. The Kohler Whitehaven "short apron" style has a two inch shorter apron so it does not interfere with the doors - and it is just as deep as the regular Whitehaven. The only modification to the sink base cabinet is the removal of the upper front faux drawer panels and part of the frame. The Kohler Vault, which is stainless steel, also fits on a standard sink base. The Whitehaven is an under mount sink. The Vault comes in different installations. There is also a two bowl style to both sinks. Kohler "short apron" farmhouse sink - doors do not need to be changed:
  • Kristine LeGault 8a pnw

I agree, with the Spirit of Freedom against the white brick really popping.

Personally, I love it when all of the same roses are used en mass to really make a huge visuavisual statement

dianela7bnorthal thanked Kristine LeGault 8a pnw
  • oursteelers 8B PNW

Oh, I’m a really bad one to ask because I have such a hard time getting multiples even though I know they look really spectacular amassed.

Since there are so many wonderful roses to choose from I would do an assortment of fragrant pinks.

• rifis (zone 6b-7a NJ)

I am responding, not as one of those great color/design people, but rather as someone who knows this is a design dilemma.

www.houzz.com/discussions/design-dilemma

dianela7bnorthal thanked rifis (zone 6b-7a NJ)
  • katyajini

Dianela I was going to ask a similar question ....I will be watching this thread with much interest. A whole big bunch of fragrant pinks sounds wonderful. How wonderful its going to be to come home everyday!

dianela7bnorthal thanked katyajini
  • joeywyomingz4b

I love ombré effect planting, if you have multiple pergola pillars what about a pale yellow on one end, a darker peach on the next one, a more pink-peach, and then a true pink on the next and so forth?

dianela7bnorthal thanked joeywyomingz4b
  • dianela7bnorthal

Thank you Kristine, I feel like they look amazing in multiples also when I see them.

oursteelers the multiple fragrant pinks was also something I thought would look great.

rifis you are very good in design and color for sure. I know this is a design dilema but I don’t like to post anywhere except in roses where I know the people love roses as much as I do and can understand me.

Katya It is great to be able to get ideas from the gardeners here who probably have tried all these projects at some point or another.

Joey the ombre effect is definitely one i did not consider. That sounds very intriguing.

Thank you everyone for giving me ideas and opinions. Please feel free to share any pictures of similar projects inspiration.

Another thought I had was maybe choosing two roses (spirit of freedom and James Galway maybe) and putting them together on each column? This would give me two roses and maybe the mass effect also?

• nanadollZ7 SWIdaho

Dianela, maybe you could try something like this, as seen on my friend's arbor which is the entry to her special area of roses. I believe it's two Eden roses on the arbor itself (I know Eden wasn't one of your selections, and a pergola is a little different from an arbor). Various pink Austin roses are on each side of the arbor. I'm seeing my friend today, and I'll ask for details about the roses she used. Diane

dianela7bnorthal thanked nanadollZ7 SWIdaho
  • dianela7bnorthal thanked nanadollZ7 SWIdaho
  • hugogurll

What direction does your wall face? If it faces North, you can forget roses. Don't get wigged out on your color selection. It's your garden. Plant what you want. If you don't like your first choice, change it. That's part of the joy of gardening. It's always a learning experience.

dianela7bnorthal thanked hugogurll
  • Marlorena-z8 England-

I'm not a landscaper but if I had a large pergola with say 6 posts going up, assuming 8 foot apart... and beams going across the top...and | could plant each post.. I would be wanting my longed for selection of special roses that I couldn't normally grow in a border... and that would mean 6 different ones so I would NEVER be bored...

...top of my head over here, something like... 'Deprez a Fleur Jaune'... 'Clg. Devoniensis'... 'Alexandre Girault'... 'Adelaide d'Orleans'.... 'Purple Skyliner'.... 'Adam' ['Mme. Berard']…. something like that... there are enough repeaters there to keep me happy... and all would mix in together colour wise....

...best of luck Daniela !... agree with hugogurl… plant what you really want, without thinking whether anyone else might like it or not..

...I enjoyed that bit of fantasy...

dianela7bnorthal thanked Marlorena-z8 England-
  • dianela7bnorthal

Wow WOW Diane That looks spectacular. Please let me know what your friend says. I love the look of Eden but I am trying to choose a bit more disease resistant roses for this garden and Eden has very poor blackspot resistance. I was considering spirit of freedom since it seems to be doing well in Florida and they should have plenty of blackspot there. I am so excited about this project, the house needs like a million updates but I don’t care much about that lol. The garden is my dream.

thank you Hugogurll this house faces south so I will have plenty of sun on this area. Also in my other garden I grow roses on the north side also, Alabama sun is I should say “very warming” =). Thank you for stopping by.

• dianela7bnorthal

Marlorena reading your post made me smile. I don’t know enough yet to recognize half of those names, so I have some good research to do now. Thank you! Thank you very much for the recommendations.

• Amanda Zone10Socal

I like white climbers on a white house, usually I'm a color person, but it looks really fresh with the green :)

dianela7bnorthal thanked Amanda Zone10Socal
  • Amanda Zone10Socal

this is a picture I stole from the internet, looks like a barely blush white. The white climber on my house is still a baby

• dianela7bnorthal

Beautiful Amanda I love it, a lot. I have always lover white and blush roses, but my biggest issue here besides blackspot are the thrips, and they make all white blooms look dirty after the first flush in the spring. interestingly some pale pinks and yellows don’t show as much thrips damage, particularly Olivia and Other Austin’s (maybe they drop before the damage is too obvious). Sorry I didn’t mentioned it before but no whites unless they are thrips resistant. I LOVE the look of that picture you found, very romantic.

• kathyc_z10

Wow, what a great design dilemma! Really drooling over Amanda's picture with the dark green and white. Of your choices I would go with pink, but perhaps a darker pink for drama and contrast against the white. Like Laguna or Pretty in Pink Eden. Cant wait to see pictures whatever you decide!

dianela7bnorthal thanked kathyc_z10
  • Vaporvac Z6-OhioRiverValley

If you go darker, don't forget to look at Parade and Victorian Memory. For a mid-range pink look at Setina and Jean LaJoie for smaller flowers, perhaps layering them with larger ones in a similar colour or ombre for contrast. I'll find the post that illustrates this beautifully.

Are you going to make this a veranda of sorts tying the post style into that on the covered parking area? It would be nice for coherence. Just out of curiosity, why are you eliminating the divided windows? They add a bit of interest to my eye, but I'm sure your vision exceeds my feeble imagination! : )) In any case are the casements going to be something other than white? Sorry for moving into 'Design Dilemma' territory! LOL! : D

Perhaps a single white wouldn't show thrips as much and then you could layer with others. My mind is going crazy thinking about it. All the climbers I planted on the front wall this year were originally bought for an arbor. I'm still a ways away from that dream, but it was a good thing as I've discovered what will grow to cover it.

dianela7bnorthal thanked Vaporvac Z6-OhioRiverValley
  • Amanda Zone10Socal

Daniela, Cloud 10 at my house is completely thrips free, but it's not a fast grower here, I'm not sure what it would be like in your yard. Coquette des blanches also no thrips yet, but I haven't had it long.

• Amanda Zone10Socal

oh and for pale austins, for me, Jude has no thrips but Port Sunlight gets eaten up. They are basically the same color. Explain that!

• titian1 10b Sydney

I can't help, but I'm curious, dianela. Is this a second home? Nice lake in the background.

dianela7bnorthal thanked titian1 10b Sydney
  • nanadollZ7 SWIdaho

Dianela, I just got home, and haven't had time to catch up on this thread, but I did ask my friend about the roses she used around her arbor. There are two Edens, like I thought, on the arbor itself, and to the side is just one Bonica, blooming its head off and quite large. I highly recommend Bonica, a Meilland shrub rose that is a continuous bloomer of light pink blooms. I'm thinking it might be pretty carefree in your area. Another rose, thorn free, but a darker color is Zepherine Drouhin, which grows against my friend's gazebo. Diane

• oursteelers 8B PNW

Diane, do you know how old your friend’s Zephy is? Mine was just planted in spring so I was wondering how long til it gets that big. Oh, I hope mine looks like that when it grows up. That is absolutely wonderful!

• nanadollZ7 SWIdaho

It's at least several years old--I'll have to ask because she had something else climbing on the gazebo previously, and I can't remember exactly when she got Zephy.

• Perma n’ Posies/9A FL

What a wonderful project, Dianela! It sounds beautiful.

I think for myself, since it’s all across the front of the house, I’d mix varieties. If it was a shorter section, all one variety might look good, but a long stretch needs something to break it up.

I love the idea of a riot of pinks, and varying lights and darks, big and small, singles and doubles. And definitely do fragrant, so you can get some wafting into the house. :-)

dianela7bnorthal thanked Perma n’ Posies/9A FL
  • dianela7bnorthal

Wow Vapor I will look into those roses for sure. do you grow them? Any idea about blackspot resistance? I am hoping to have a bit of lower maintenance garden here. You have some really good questions. The current windows are leaking (from the 60s) and since I love my picture windows in my home I ordered the same for these. I feel like all those little squares are a lot of trouble to keep clean. I also have a lake view in the back and wanted to “merge” the outside with the inside? I am struggling through the whole process. I have thought about maybe doing the frames in oil rubbed bronze but haven’t decided because I can’t picture it. I am planning long term expanding the carport and closing it in like I did on my house.

the windows will be like this so I can look at the roses in the front

planning on closing the carport like I did here with glass doors.

2018 Also · More Info

I have always loved the look of the concrete balustrades that give a Spanish old world vive, but I have no idea how I could incorporate it. I’ll consider any ideas you could give me.

• dianela7bnorthal

Amanda thank you! I have 4 cloud 10s and they are the worse with the thrips, isn’t that crazy how different roses behave in different areas. I am not familiar with coquette so I have added to my list to research.

• dianela7bnorthal

Trish this is a second home that we purchased to fix it up for when I am back home permanently. We are hoping to have a baby in the next couple of years, and hopefully have my family come and stay with us for a few months at a time. Our current 2 bedroom home isn’t large enough for baby, parents and grandparents. This one does have a nice lake in the back with enough water to make me feel at home. Having spent half my life in an island water makes me feel comfortable. I am hopping to be able to make this a comfy place with a nice if small rose garden in the front. I want to try growing a rose in the back area to the balcony, but I am pretty sure I want teasing Georgia for that project, because I needs to be able to take shade.

here is the back porch view

• oursteelers 8B PNW

Dianela I also love the clear sheets of glass. Even when it’s the “off” season I think they are nice. It feels like you’re surrounded by the rain, snow, trees...

• dianela7bnorthal

Diane =) I am sure every one says the same thing but WOW what an amazing place your friend has created. I am in awe of how perfect, clean, romantic and beautiful it looks. Ok I am absolutely adding every rose you mentioned to my list and researching how they do here in humid Alabama. I am trying to get at least decent black spot resistant roses that won’t completely defoliate without spray because I am not sure I will be able to maintain the garden as well in the future when a baby is hopefully added to the picture. Lilyfinch makes it look easy =), but I am afraid it may get challenging.

• titian1 10b Sydney

dianela, what a gorgeous outlook. You could replace the railings in the second photo with balustrades, but they might block your beautiful view too much. A word of warning about Zepherin Drouhin: I had it and it blackspotted so badly I removed it. It is a lovely rose though, great perfume, and though the bloom is rather loose, it has bucketloads of charm. For your pergola, Cori Ann mixed pinks and reds to great effect. You might want to look at Renae - I don't remember if anyone has mentioned it. It's a pink, thornless climber with fairly pliable canes.

• dianela7bnorthal

Oursteelers we posted at the same time. I also enjoy the clear windows a lot. I also like very simple clean interior decor that allows me to clean up very quickly so I can spend more time gardening and less time cleaning =]

• dianela7bnorthal

Thank you thank you everyone for all the ideas. It is so hard to think about all the possibilities. Thank you for all the support and for sharing your knowledge of roses and creativity. I appreciate you!

• dianela7bnorthal

Thank you Trish again. Cori Ann definitely has a good eye for design and her patio project came out spectacular. I definitely have a lot of good options I didn’t even know existed to research now.

• dianela7bnorthal

Perma thank you! For some reason my original post to you is gone. After everyone’s suggestions I am definitely going to go with pinks for this project and maybe some blush or white added in. I love the idea of mixing smaller or single blooms also. Because I couldn’t wait to at least do something I planted 1 Mels heritage, laguna, flamenco rosita and earth angel last weekend in a few spots I thought would get enough sun around the property. This area will need to wait until the pergola could be built but I like being able to plan ahead.

• nanadollZ7 SWIdaho

Dianela, I haven't seen any of Trish's comments on this thread. What's Houzz up to, anyway? Maybe, your post is in the ether with Trish's. So frustrating. Diane

• dianela7bnorthal

Ughhh Diane Houzz is so insane these days. I can’t believe how many posts I miss all the time for days until at some point they show up randomly.

• nanadollZ7 SWIdaho

OK, now I see Trish's comment. I was going to ask if you grow Colette because I would suggest her. Thrips are so strange. I have just a few roses that get them, while their neighbors are ignored. One of the worst infected is The Prince, and you can't get much darker than that rose--so much for the theory that thrips prefer light colored roses. If you're interested in Jude the Obscure, take a look at the seasonal thread. I've posted an album of my Jude over the years (he is 15 years old), but a lot of people have trouble getting him to repeat well, including me. No thrips, though. Diane

• austinkisses2008z8a

Design is my field, I think you have been given some good suggestions. The choice boils down to personal taste and that has no right or wrong. There IS NO WRONG OR BAD TASTE.- this, the most important design rule..., for interiors or out. However not any choice will work without magic and what creats magic is BALANCE. . This may relate more to your structure and how it relates to your house.. This is where the magic starts. Get that part right and then address function. Design is wrong when things do function easily. . Balance is basically how the visual and physical weight of things play off each other. . YOU know when things balance and when they don't.. When it is correct it gives you a sense of peace and correctness, like taking a deep breath and relaxing your shoulders. An ahhh. Remember to look from all sides, all are importance, one bad view ruins the whole. . Sadly when balance is wrong you will also know and it will project feeling of disquiet, kinda like a junk closet if you are a neat freak or sticky floor if cleanliness is you thing. Forgive me if this is repeating what you know. Incorrect balance or neglecting function are the wrongs most often saw in my work.

On rose selection, You might try one of those everblooming ramblers as they are intended for your purpose. The thread on Rose Structure trending here had some good ideas and a great utube link on planting an arbor. I learned a lot from that tread. I think you will find it helpful. Best luck sorry to go on and on...

dianela7bnorthal thanked austinkisses2008z8a
  • dianela7bnorthal

Diane I actually bought Jude this year after seeing on one of your posts that the thrips leave him alone in your garden. He is very small but I love the few blooms I have had so far. I have always admired your Colette and definitely has the look of the roses I love. I wonder if anyone else around here grows her in a humid area like mine. Thrips are such horrible little creatures. Does the prince open slowly? In my garden they seem to affect those roses that open slowly like Moonstone, earth angel and cloud 10 the most. I hope they leave your Prince and AL alone next year so you can have lots of beautiful clean blooms. I have up on my first crush after two years of not being able to enjoy any of her blooms and dug her out.

• dianela7bnorthal

Thank you Austinkisses! I understand what you mean and the “ahhhh” feeling is definitely what I am going for. Some people are just talented at creating that balance and others have to work for it. I have to work for it lol. I normally just buy roses I like and go dig a hole anywhere I have space. I am glad I posted here to get ideas in advance so maybe this time I won’t have to dig up roses and move them 20 times.

• katyajini

dianela your property is so beautiful and to my eyes so balanced already you cannot go wrong. I am where you are...the house needs a million and then some more things fixed but I dont care I am just about the garden, its my dream. I really love the views in you new home.

dianela7bnorthal thanked katyajini
  • dianela7bnorthal

Thank you Katyajini. This is the reason I posted my dilema here and not directly on the design forum. I needed people with a good eye but mostly with a crazy passion for roses, because that’s the main thing. Thank you for all the support, I’ll definitely update once I have anything blooming. The property has terrible red clay and lots of gravel so it is going to be some work. :)

• Vaporvac Z6-OhioRiverValley

Your new property is gorgeous and you obviously have a great eye as your current house is adorable. I love the entire thing and can see how you wouldn't want to obstruct the view in any way. It's great that you have a vision and can work towards that step-by step. It's also a wonderful idea to do these outdoor things early on so it can start to establish. I love Marlorena's idea for the balustrades, but they can wait.

I do grow Parade and so far so good, but it was just establishing thing after wallowing in a pot. I'm a terrible pot parent. Maybe this would be a good area to try Cl. Clotilde Soupert since it could be semi-protected from the rain. Her foliage does well for me as does VMemory's. although she's still small in a pot. One vigorous healthy climber I grow is Gold Blush. Very thorny as is Parade. Probably similar to Quicksilver. Setina is a sweetheart of a rose generally. I missed her fall flush so no pics in the ground. She spent the summer getting used to the ground, but I'll look for pics of her in a pot. Another is Cl.Caroline Testout. Since that was my original plan, I'd try them all in varying shades of pink, punctuated with some darker climbers and prepare to swoon. Although not pink, Ghislaine de Feligonde is rock-solid in a difficult place......RVR? sells PInk GDF. Don't forget Peggy Martin and Cl. Pink Pet. PP is a power house of a bloomer for me with impeccable foliage so I would hope her climbing sport is the same. I'm looking forward to Felix LeClerc, but too soon to comment. Since I know you love fragrance give Cl. LaFrance and Nahema a chance. The only climbers I've had for any length of time are New Dawn and Viking Queen. Everyone knows how I feel about those two, but ND may be too vigorous as a climber with her long, long laterals. I always feel she's best and easiest to manage on a fence. Perhaps on your someday balustrades! : ))

P.S. Don't forget Blossomtime. You're in a zone where you can probably plant Archduke Charles at her feet to echo her gorgeous opening buds.

• dianela7bnorthal

Thank you, a million thanks to you Vapor. Wow so many amazing roses to choose from. I adore Blossom times and didn’t know Archduke charles. Wow I am going to go with multiple pinks for this project. I just can’t pass up the chance to grow more than one rose type. I also like the echo idea as it will grow at a different height and make it fuller. Thank you very much! I am much more inspired now and optimist that I can make it a special place.

• Vaporvac Z6-OhioRiverValley

Here is one of the links I mentioned prior on Mixing Large and Small-flowered Climbers that look similar. Cori Ann took this thread to heart, so you may want to search her old posts, as well. I'll see if I can find my other inspiration post. Here it is: Small Roses and Their Big Sisters! There is a gorgeous picture of Eden growing with Jean LaJoie over an abor in this thread: Ideas for a climber? Enjoy!!!! : ))) I am also going to plant bush forms at the feet of their climbers sisters.