Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
wei_chen86

Backsplash tiles on butler pantry looks weird?

Mikey
4 years ago
last modified: 4 years ago

Hi folks:

Building a custom home, the tile contractor just finished. We have to-ceiling tiles on the back wall of the butler pantry.

The side backsplash looks a bit weird to us. We thought of not having backsplash at all on the two sides, but contractor said that's not possible since the granite countertop has been cut with too large a gap to the side walls.

Can anyone share thoughts on this?

Question 1: Backsplash as-is, or have it all the way to the ceiling?

Question 2: Stop at the edge of the countertop, or extend it further out, wrap it around the cabinet and stop at the floor and wall edge?

Thanks for any input.

Comments (9)

• Jora
    4 years ago

Hi there,

We had a semi-similar situation as yours - and a similar situation as the left side of your pix.

We opted to only put backsplash against the back wall and left the sides free. Just a 'cleaner' look in my opinion - I don't prefer the 'half-done' look on the walls.

Is there a reason they cut the granite short on the sides? I would think the pantry is a small area - is it possible they can fabricate a new piece (do you have any granite left over) for that one area?

I'm sorry, I know I'm not being much help answering your question...but I know that would bug me forever.

• colleenoz
    4 years ago

I think it looks fine. Pretty sure that's more or less how our laundry tiling is, but we have a row of pattern tiles across the top. You could do this or see if you can find a quarter-round curve bit to finish off the top if you liked.

• daisychain Zn3b
    4 years ago

The general rule is that tile goes only under the cabs unless you are doing the whole wall. Otherwise it looks disconnected.

ETA: Beautiful kitchen, btw. I love the tile.

• PRO
    HALLETT & Co.
    4 years ago

I would have skipped the sides (I always skip the sides) but that detail would have needed to be discussed with the granite contractor because they always undersize the granite to make it easier to install. I agree that the tile above the window looks disconnected and heavy.

• herbflavor
    4 years ago

Luckily the neutral color lends itself. Is the tile above window apt to be harmful? I would paint the walls around the tile a similar color a shade lighter or darker....maybe a little warmer tint...nice semi gloss...get rich beautiful stylish hardware and gussy up this nice space ...light fixture or whatever ways you can and call it a day....no I wouldn't call anyone back for a do over ... just keep going and do more things in the fun space.

• makmartell
    4 years ago

So, the granite people screwed up the template? I’d be tempted to tell the contractor that you shouldn’t have to live with ‘weird’ just because someone messed up.

• eam44
    4 years ago

Your on the right track, but it does look weird, an Jan points out, tiling above the window.

Another option for the side splash would have been to only extend the tile as far as the upper cabinet. Given the large format of your tile, that wouldn’t necessarily have been the way to go either.

The last option I like to call the “tray”. You get a 1-2” sidesplash the same material as your counter. Unlike the “no sidesplash at all” option, this will still protect your cabinets and drywall.

Everything looks better when it’s finished, even if you change nothing. I’d pull the tile down above the window and go with the tray.

Just FYI, this is what a 2” bs looks like

• flopsycat1
    4 years ago

Totally agree with Jan, tiling above the window should go. In general, I think that over-tiling has become the norm. Backsplashes have gone from functional to, literally, over the top. A short side splash, or none at all, would have looked fine. At this point, consider removing the tiles above the window, then reassess.