Software
Houzz Logo Print
nancyjane_gardener

Tomato/bread soup?

I remember making a tomato/bread soup that turned out very creamy, but during our move the recipe got lost (as did a zillion other things!)

We're at the end of our tomato season and looking at some cooler weather and would love to have a creamy tomato soup and grilled cheese!

Any help out there?

Comments (5)

  • 6 years ago

    nancyjane, I remembered this one from Ina G, although I haven't tried it. She also has a Roasted Tomato Basil Soup I have tried that's good.

    https://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/ina-garten/pappa-al-pomidoro-recipe-2013973

  • 6 years ago

    if you are comfortable without exact measurements and substituting here and there, this one is very much like mine...found by searching here.

    The key is roasting the vegetables.

    Roasted Tomato Garlic Soup
    Recipe By :Katie

    12 tomatoes -- *see Note

    2 carrots -- cut in 1" pieces
    1 large onion -- quartered
    2 whole heads garlic -- peeled (or more, to taste)
    olive oil
    2 cups chicken broth -- (or 3)


    1/2 cup chopped fresh basil -- (or 1 Tbsp. dried)
    cream -- to taste

    Core tomatoes and cut in half. Place, cut side up, on foil covered
    cookie sheet with carrots, onion and garlic. Brush with
    olive oil. Bake at 400F for about an hour, or until vegies
    are roasted and a little blackened. Place in a large
    saucepan with the chicken broth and basil and
    simmer for about 10 minutes. Blend with a stick
    blender (or in small batches in a blender) until
    almost smooth. Add cream to taste.

    My recipe makes more sense seeing the one above. I do simmer mine more like 30min or kept warm for an hour or more...especially if I toss in a parmesan rind, yum. A little red pepper flake is nice. I offer hot sauces and warm cream at the table. Oatley and/or almond milk, yogurt/horseradish cream. A small potato quartered (to the roasting veg) and/or a half slice bread torn added with the stock before blendering...will add creaminess without needing dairy.

    I use parchment instead of foil.

    We keep a varied but minimal pantry/fridge crisper. A small amount of many things so I rarely need to hit the market. Even works well with frozen halved garden tomatoes. (no need to thaw first). Even better is to roast a couple trays when the garden is abundant. Then freeze in one soup amount packets. About a quart. In the Summer months I really like use fresh garden tomatoes but still roast the veg. Red pepper in the roasties is good.

    I'm not a recipe writer or even trying. I do this for my own reminder and family and friends ...if they ask I can quickly print a hard copy or e-mail.


  • 6 years ago

    Oh yay! Thanks to you both!

  • 6 years ago

    I have made Katie's soup and I think it is fabulous! (I was ready for the cream, but I felt it was rich enough without it.) Soooooo good.

  • 6 years ago

    I am a complete novice at harvest/preserving on my own, though I have helped my sister and sister-in-law dry, can, etc over the years. I am curious about whether you leave the tomato skins on and how that effects the texture of the soup.

    Martha