Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
rddee

built ins or floating shelves

rddee
4 years ago

Debating on what to do with this space. Fireplace is not complete, but Depends on the budget but Floating shelves with two matching cabinets Underneath or built ins on the bottom with floating shelves on top? Or any other advice. Tv will most likely stay on the right side not over the fireplace at this time.

Comments (57)

• PRO
    Patricia Colwell Consulting
    4 years ago

I like matching lower cabinets on weach side with the TV above one and A nice piece of art above the other . No one seems to have a plan for what to display once the get the builtins so the shelves just get filled with a bunch of stuff that adds clutter to the space. I am really glad the TV will not be above the fireplace The TV can be munted on a arm that can be pulled out for viewing BTW I don’t like TV in my LR at all but sometimes there is no choice when builders seem to think you need the TV and the FP in the same room. I design to have the FP in the LR and the TV in the family room solves many issues.

• rddee
    Original Author
    4 years ago

Here is my layout. I don’t have a family room so this is my living/family room and only place we have or can put our tv for viewing. I don’t want to block my slider as this is a pretty view to our backyard and. The room is narrow and long so I don’t have room for the sofa with seats on either side of the fireplace. I bought white media consoles for both sides but am debating on keeping them or putting in built in cabinets on bottom to house our record player, photo albums dvds etc. Is this helpful?

• rddee
    Original Author
    4 years ago

Thank you for your input. I got quotes for built in bottom shelves and they are actually more expensive than matching tv consoles. But if it looks much better I may have to bite the bullet. Or I can just keep these and see how they work out. It is pushed back all the way but What do you think?

• decoenthusiaste
    4 years ago

No. It isn't working stuck out in front of the FP like that. The person in the recliner won't mind TV above the mantel as they will be in a prone position. If another person lies down on the sofa, they can enjoy it from a prone position too. If more than two people watch TV here, it needs to be right of the FP because not everyone can lie down to watch. What size is the TV?

• everdebz
    4 years ago

I don't mind it, and you picked similar lines with fireplace - it's what you have, and not so bad. Canvas art might be best with light [white], medium-strength neutral, and dark grey - in attempt to make white/black tv to look part of the visual.

• everdebz
    4 years ago
    last modified: 4 years ago

One I grabbed -

"L'Allee des Alyscalps Arles" Framed Canvas Giclee by Paul Gauguin, 36x30" · More Info

"L'Apres-Midi, Soleil, Avant-Port De Dieppe" Artwork, 36"x29" · More Info

Framed Art Print 'Forest - set of 2' by Gretchen Hess, Outer Size 20"x22" Each · More Info

https://www.houzz.com/products/framed-art-print-forest-set-of-2-by-gretchen-hess-outer-size-20x22-each-prvw-vr~133537526

https://www.houzz.com/products/lapres-midi-soleil-avant-port-de-dieppe-artwork-36x29-prvw-vr~51305118

https://www.houzz.com/products/lallee-des-alyscalps-arles-framed-canvas-giclee-by-paul-gauguin-36x30-prvw-vr~55987140

• spraguec
    4 years ago

Due to your room being narrow, I would lower the mantelpiece. This will give your room a feeling of being wider and will also allow your tv screen to be viewed at a more comfortable height. If this is not your forever home, I would forego the money spent on built ins and buy two matching three drawer chests. They can not only move with you but have many other useful lives elsewhere in future homes. Adding a lamp and some art above each piece will warm the room and provide some nice symmetry to completely finish the wall visually.

• groveraxle
    4 years ago

Built ins, for sure.

Renderings · More Info

• everdebz
    4 years ago

I guess I saw book shelves on the left - are they staying there? if so, do you need/want more shelving nearby, at left of fp....

• everdebz
    4 years ago

My vote only, but your tv set isn't a decorating offense - what about a nice chair in that corner [left of fp] or bench?.. well, at least 20 people like it for $141.

Sorrento Retro Upholstered Wooden Lounge Chair, Gray Fabric · More Info

https://www.houzz.com/products/sorrento-retro-upholstered-wooden-lounge-chair-gray-fabric-prvw-vr~51172757

• rddee
    Original Author
    4 years ago

The tv size is 43 inch, we were thinking of getting a 50 inch but maybe stay with a smaller size. I will not be lowering the mantel so kinda stuck with where it is at.

• rddee
    Original Author
    4 years ago

It is not our forever home so we are not looking to put tons of money into it. Just something to make it look nice and functional and livable at this time. Any recommendation on cabinets?

• hollysmother
    4 years ago
    <?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?><md>Everything Patricia Colwell Consulting said
  • summerhappytime
    4 years ago

Built ins. We did this to ours. Similar space if it helps.

Before with stand alone bookshelves

After with semi custom built ins and shelving. The cabinets and top along with the shelves were $3,600 installed if that helps.

Styled shelves. Now renovating kitchen to match.

• summerhappytime
    4 years ago

• decoenthusiaste
    4 years ago

So, here's how much floor space you need between seating and TV for it to be viewed best.

• rddee
    Original Author
    4 years ago

Well, Your shelving looks awesome but i can’t afford to spend that much on built ins. I put in the matching cabinets to see how it would look and here it is. What do you think? Are they told short? Will they look better if I get a bigger tv, add some floating shelves above and put a mirror over the fireplace? or should I forgo it and try to sell them and start over?

• groveraxle
    4 years ago

They're a little deep and a little short, but not too awful. Let's see if we can make them work. I'll try some floating shelves here. Back in a bit.

• groveraxle
    4 years ago

Try to be more intentional with your decor. Plan a vignette instead of just sticking tiny decorations here and there. It will have a lot more impact.

• Elaine Ricci
    4 years ago

I'm not a pro. That said, here's the art that used to be above our mantel when we had a fireplace (it's now above our couch). Perhaps something similar would work with your decor.

• everdebz
    4 years ago

Yeah groveraxle. :)

Enjoy your pretty rug and pillows and all...

When she added other items, the necessary black box of a tv looked better. The identical unit looks good too. Above the mantel, idk.... something very neutral... if you want to add height above the units.

• housegal200
    4 years ago

If you know a carpenter, you could have that person hack the consoles from the back so that they're more shallow and not protruding so far out.

• rddee
    Original Author
    4 years ago

I think maybe the shelves will help. My DH thinks it will look too busy, but maybe it will balance it out better. And for over the mantel Something neutral like Perhaps a round or arch shaped mirror??

• groveraxle
    4 years ago

I would choose art over the mantel. What will a mirror reflect?

• felizlady
    4 years ago

I prefer two cabinets and shelves or art above. Console on right to hold 42” tv.

• trishgrummett
    4 years ago

I had a similar situation. I had bookshelves built and floating shelves above.

• rddee
    Original Author
    4 years ago

Maybe I should paint the bricks white

• everdebz
    4 years ago

Why?

It's hearty hearth red to 'match' green of rug.

• Gcubed
    4 years ago

following

• rddee
    Original Author
    4 years ago

To give it a fresher updated look but I think it’s the mantel and cabinets that is throwing me off. I can have them redo the whole mantel but it was just placed so that would be a lot of work and more money, and drive my DH nuts. Maybe changing out the cabinets would be my best bet.

• rddee
    Original Author
    4 years ago

Though perhaps it’s the mantel? Too wide and too high?

• everdebz
    4 years ago

Was thinking.... a shape above mantel, not squared, could break the visual of cabinets and mantel's widest part. This forms a nice soft triangle with widest mantel part. I like the first.

Haldron Wood Arch Mirror, Rustic Brown 24x36 · More Info

Gothic Diamond Mirror, Venetian Finish · More Info

• everdebz
    4 years ago

staring at your photo - I think the brick brings floor warm color up onto the wall so to speak - eliminating that by painting white would cool off alot, and make black tv stand out more....? unless you want a stone-natural paint color !

• everdebz
    4 years ago

Strong color in middle of wall might help: brick and earthy above it... it's ok but there are others. I bought a cheap kind at Target which is above my tv, on a dark wall to blend but add something.

Decorative Metal and Mirror Construction · More Info

• everdebz
    4 years ago

28" might work -

Cleo Mirror · More Info

• everdebz
    4 years ago

for whimsy - for your pillow. ;)

it's more important that you like how you're living in home: what you prioritize to spend on, and so if you like what you/yours decided, and if you are proud that you used your own resources. If you can have an adequate built-in, less expensive, fine, Me I wouldn't bother a bit. Can't anyway. In other words, 'no' to decor guilt.

Round Eucalyptus Mirror · More Info

https://www.houzz.com/products/round-eucalyptus-mirror-prvw-vr~86225312

• everdebz
    4 years ago

Pleasant green 29 wide -

be back later.

Eucalyptus Mirror · More Info

https://www.houzz.com/products/eucalyptus-mirror-wall-art-prvw-vr~133101911

• everdebz
    4 years ago

Like grover's work, I'd like to see photoshop of chair at left of fp - ?

Kenneth Mid Century Modern Arm Chair, Heather Gray · More Info

https://www.houzz.com/products/kenneth-mid-century-modern-arm-chair-heather-gray-prvw-vr~117627003

• everdebz
    4 years ago

Could be turned to face out from corner? W 35.5" / D 35.25" / H 37.25" big?

Haywood Channel-Backed Fabric Club Chair, Beige · More Info

https://www.houzz.com/products/haywood-channel-backed-fabric-club-chair-beige-prvw-vr~7585626

• everdebz
    4 years ago

I read your first post again - I think with simple lines and all white - a new less patterned or different rug would be worth trying. And not a dark, a solid ottoman.

• everdebz
    4 years ago

Be nice to know what colors and such you have in rest of your home?

• everdebz
    4 years ago

Would this transition the room into more casual and relaxed / aged and distressed does that !?

Jewell Collection Vintage Illusion Biege Rug, 8'x10'3" · More Info

https://www.houzz.com/products/linon-jewel-8x104-illusion-rug-beige-prvw-vr~93385038

• everdebz
    4 years ago

If curtains and sofa are solid [do I see lovely piping?].... you could play a little pattern into a rug -

Safavieh South Hampton Collection SHA241 Rug, Beige, 8' X 11' · More Info

Weave & Wander Pellaro Rug, Pewter/Light Gray, 7'6"x10'6" · More Info

https://www.houzz.com/products/weave-and-wander-pellaro-rug-pewter-and-light-gray-76x106-prvw-vr~62790520

https://www.houzz.com/products/safavieh-southampton-handmade-rug-beige-8x11-prvw-vr~85559166

• everdebz
    4 years ago

Another rug in 'art silk'.... for 256.

Weave & Wander Pellaro Metallic Ikat Rug, Gray/Beige, 7'6"x10'6" · More Info

https://www.houzz.com/products/weave-and-wander-pellaro-rug-pewter-and-gray-76x106-prvw-vr~62790581

• gls6334
    4 years ago

There could be a reason that your mantel is located where it is. Check your state and county building codes to make sure that if you lower your mantel, you are not creating a fire hazard. I think that there are ways to work around this some with a noncombustible mantel, but depending upon the state there could be rules on this also. I just ran into this problem w/ a direct vent gas insert. I am not sure if there are any requirements for electric fireplaces.. It is frustrating because you see so many pictures of lower mantels in designs that look so good, but cannot be repeated in an actual project. Good luck

• violetsnapdragon
    4 years ago

I get it that built-ins are cost-prohibitive. I'm a fan of putting the seating with the back to the sliders and the tv on the wall where the sofa is, but I guess then access to the sliders would be tough. I feel like the tv next to the fireplace is not good for viewing and also looks awkward.

• rddee
    Original Author
    4 years ago

I dont want to block my sliders. Ive decided to leave the brick color for now and see how I like it. I have not added floating shelves as of yet as I just took down some christmas decor and starting over on decor. I am considering narrowing the mantel on both ends to make it less wide. either that or just getting new cabinets. also Need some help on mantel decor. considering an online interior designer for help. Anyone ever use anything like modsy or havely?

Sponsored
Miller Woodworks
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars21 Reviews
Franklin County's Trusted Custom Cabinetry Solutions