Software
Houzz Logo Print
iklj123

Color klutz needs help -

13 years ago
Please? I go to the store and get so exasperated I just leave.
Have 5 more yrs to live in home before selling.
The whole house needs painting, carpet and 3 bathrooms need floor tile.
What color for wall paint, carpet and bathroom tile?

Cabinetry in kitchen AND bathrooms natural maple which turned (photo)
Countertop in kitchen granite tile (photo)
Bathroom sinks, toilets, shower tiles countertops are white
Appliances in kitchen are white.

Comments (16)

  • 13 years ago
    It sounds like you have a lot to do! There are a couple of ways to go about this. 1. You could start with the main room with the most exisitng colors you can't change (probably your kitchen), and figure out what you want to do with it. Complete that room and make sure you are happy with it and then using the "domino theory of decorating" - move onto the room next to it and then on to the room next to that, coordinating colors as you go. 2. You could also contact a reputable interior designer or decorator in your area, pay a consulting fee and have them work out the details so that you could implement them yourself. Fees vary of course, but it may be worth a few dollars to get it done right and give you piece of mind.
  • PRO
    13 years ago
    Sherwin Williams has an app called color snap that is really cool. U can snap a pic and the app will show you colors that match.
    http://m.sherwin-williams.com/mt/www.sherwin-williams.com/homeowners/color/try-on-colors/colorsnap-for-iphone-android-and-blackberry
  • PRO
    13 years ago
    last modified: 13 years ago
    I would remove the granite back splash tiles in favor of a white glass tile in a subway format. The granite tile is way too busy . You have enough of the granite with your counter. A simple white subway tile all the way up, with a beveled edge or some texture would help the appliance white tie in better. As far as paint, white would be great for your wall color too. The white/wood combination is classic. That would make your cabinets look great too!! Consult a professional in your area and they can help you source the perfect tile, accessories and lighting to make it look its' best.
  • 13 years ago
    OMG, yes, love ur idea. TY!
    All the Bathrooms (2 full, 1 half) need floor tile. Use the white subway tile concept in those too, or too hospital like?
  • PRO
    13 years ago
    White sub tile would look like a medical testing facility.. take your color palette and work with it. Someone spent lots of $$$ on the granite backsplash, I think the cabinets need to be painted a caramel/tawny rub down or something to jazz around the existing granite. Are you sure they are maple? look like golden oak box cabinets in the pics. I would not use white tile on floor unless I was living childless.... In the baths you can use color/paint to work around the white without spending a fortune.. the Sherwin-Williams app is great for that.
  • PRO
    13 years ago
    We as designers can have a lifetime of experience and/or schooling but so much of design boils down to personal preference. I would love to see a bright spring green (like the desk pic) tile or glass as your backsplash to add a bold contrast to the orange and yellow tones in your woods. That's a moot point though if you hate green and enjoy the blank, safe canvas of white.

    A good designer will talk with you about more than just colors you may like and should help "guide" you as opposed to "tell" you what is right for you. Personally, I find it disturbing when a designer puts their stamp on a room and proclaims it beautiful according to all the principles of good design and then you are left to learn to live with it, whether you like it or not!

    This is why I suggested the Sher/Will color snap app. This gives you some solid guidance with complimenting colors even if you don't understand color theory. And remember, it's just a theory anyway,LOL!
  • 13 years ago
    We bought 28 in. tile at Lowes on close out and it looks great. It is a cream with gold running through it
  • 13 years ago
    Be sure and look at a sample of any tile in the light of the rm you
    Are going to place it. I bought a cream one recently and it was pinkish tinted in my room for some reason. We returned it and bought marble.

    If you are selling in the future, decorate with an eye for that. What you like and what a buyer likes could be two different things. HGTV has more than one show which tells you to only go with neutral colors (which can be beautiful) The twins from property brothers have a new show where designers are competing and realtors just subtracted points on 2 occasions for lime green. Said it decreased the value of the home. Another show on there is designed to sell.

    Plus some colors may be trendy but will go out of style. If you like to paint that is fine. In fact, the rooms (except a kitchen and bath - ligh chocolate brown) in my house are going back to antique white. They are just brighter and cleaner feeling and I use colors in accessories.
  • PRO
    13 years ago
    I never recommend a white floor...the only client I have had that ended up with a white floor owned a cleaning company, lol! Good advice above about bringing samples home...definitely important. White will not "cheapen" the look of the granite counters. The white tile should ideally be as close to appliance white as possible. The look of the current back splash and the fact that the appliances do not really tie into anything there is what is definitely cheapening the look. Good luck on the hunt!
  • 13 years ago
    You can do what you like now, but in five years time when you want to sell, I would paint a neutral colour {white/grey/beige}. I agree the granite is a bit busy, but it's not economical to redo so you have to work with it {but go more neutral for your next home http://www.marble.com/materials/granite/Bianco-Romano}. The most awkward bit is the space under the microwave/fan -- it would have been better not to carry the granite all the way up, but to just have it the same height all the way across. If you can cut out and remove the higher bit, that would help. Another alternative would be to cover it up with a white glass similar to the cooktop / front of oven. Failing that, I agree that painting the wall colour may help, the problem is that you have the phone and the electric wall switches that are white and will stick out like a sore thumb against any darker paint colour. {like dark taupe}..but maybe give it a try and take another photo? The black rug is too heavy a statement, replace with lighter or taupe coloured rug. I can't comment on the bathroom flooring tile, without seeing your photos?
  • 13 years ago
    last modified: 13 years ago
    I totally understand; we are building a new house that needs it all and it is overwhelming. I managed to narrow down my choices. Budget is a big player in the game. Know your budget and don't give in to whims or extravagance. If you are moving in 5 years keep the costs minimal. Let the new owners replace anything that is not necessary to replace now.

    My walls will be a neutral in Sherwin Williams Kilim Beige, trimmed in creamy ivory. Our walls in our current house are S-W Buckram Binding and I have been very pleased. The master bedroom is in Jersey Cream, a creamy pale yellow. The guest bedroom is in Believable Buff, a warm tan with a sage undertone.

    A neutral floor tile in all your floor spaces will keep it flowing (kitchen and baths). Keep it light in color; it shows dirt and dust less. A warm tan or ivory would be perfect.

    Your kitchen backsplash does not seem to be an issue and once you paint the walls it will fall into place.

    For the baths, a very serene pale blue, like Sherwin-Williams Topsail, or Sea Salt, trimmed in white, is fresh and calming and coordinates with the beige wall color in the other spaces and your neutral floor. Keep all bath plumbing and towels in fresh white and brushed nickel sink and tub fixtures for a classic look.

    Carpet in a neutral color as well. I have been pleased with our carpet from Home Depot, Coastal Living Fiji, in color Terra Tone, a warm beige with darker flecks that remind me of a sandy beach.

    Good luck.
  • 13 years ago
    I would not do anything now. If you remodel now, in five years styles, colours and materials will change. You could update your kitchen and in five years it might be "outdated". I would just live with what you have for now. Hold onto your money, browse the westies, magazines and just look at what is happening. Take the stress of the situation off your shoulders for the moment regarding your kitchen. One thing I have found regarding the bathrooms. Go all white. White tile on the floor and wall tiles. NO wallpaper. My parents designed and built five houses from the fifties through the seventies. Absolutely none of the houses have been remodeled. My mother used white tiles in all the bathrooms. What was told to me when I visited them a year ago, was that the women loved the bathrooms because they could change the looks of each bathroom, by a simple change of towels, rugs, curtains and artwork. I thought this use of white was genius and we have done the same in my bathrooms. The current trend of different materials and colours will be outdated in five years. White can always be accessorized to meet the current trends. Regarding the carpet, five year old carpet will need to be cleaned or changed if there are wear spots or dirt from travel paths. Lowe's has a light coloured Berber that holds up well and is neutral for all who might be interested in purchasing your home. I would suggest for the walls to stay away from the beiges and go with a white, very light off-white. The beiges are out and look passe and dirty. Greys are also a colour that is trendy and just may be out in five years. You want a fresh, clean look. Decorate the colour with artwork, throw rugs, pillows, and throws. This way anyone can see their furniture in your home. Lastly, ask as many questions as you feel you need to. Learning your options always helps you to refine your choices.
  • PRO
    13 years ago
    last modified: 13 years ago
    Even if you sell your home in 5yrs, I would suggest you to paint your home with some warm tones. Paint is the cheapest way to upgrade your home. I wouldn't worry about spending money there, especially one color throughout the house. As a designer, I would recommend no white walls please.. Don't be afraid of color, it gives you new look every time you paint.

    Regarding Bathroom tiles- need to see a picture of it, before we suggest anything. Need to know what cabinets and cabinets you have...
  • PRO
    13 years ago
    You can hire a pro from $75-125 per hour in most places. Maybe in Manhattan its 200-300 I don't know. But for this many spaces rolling with your best guess from the local hardware store is a bad idea. Even 5 years will go by quickly and most likely you could sell as is IF the right choices are made now. In other words, be smart about spending several thousand dollars on paint and labor, tile and installation, baseboards, setting toilets etc. Hiring a designer can feel intimidating, but Houzz makes it easy for you to check local pros, read their reviewer comments and star ratings, then place a call. If they're snarky or dismissive don't hire them. This may not be a magazine photo shoot project for them, but why shouldn't someone talented in your area make $500-800 in consult fees to save you doing all this again aka "double-buying" in a few years to sell fast at your asking price.
  • 13 years ago
    Thank you everyone, your ideas have helped me immensely. I also have more confidence going into this project.
    In 5 years we will either completely redo the house or sell.
    What I have decided so far:
    1. Color: Warm neutrals, light/medium muted greens, taupes, soft tans on carpet, walls, tiles. Trim in white.
    2. Tile: Powder room will be 20" porcelain tiles in a marble pattern that matches marble on fireplace and in entranceway (Botticino Fiorito). Mostly a beige (green undertones) and white with a hint of gold/orange lines. Using same tile on floor in Master Bath but in 13" size and in a diamond pattern. I hope this will give continuity to the house and they are very neutral. The last full bathroom, off the hallway, I haven't decided yet. Maybe rectangles? if I can find a good color.
    3. Carpet: aiming for a beige/light taupe with green undertones. Shaw makes a color called "washed silk" which looks nice in the house but it's not a low pile cut/loop pattern, which I would like. Anyone have a suggestion?
    4. Backsplash: not worth replacing because it is also installed up the sides on some of the cabinets and to remove it will probably destroy the cabinets. Not worth it at this point.

    Thank you again.