Software
Houzz Logo Print
maisie_christiansen

What is this vent by the furnace?

I've got some succulent plants growing under lights in my basement and was wondering why it is so cold in there. From my experience basements are 8 to 10 Celsius cooler that upstairs main floor, and that's fine, but am trying to get it a bit warmer down there without adding an oil heater.....

Anyway, there is this vent that is attached to the forced air furnace. It does not go into the furnace, it seems to be just externally attached, and feeds to the outside wall. At the bottom of this vent, the previous owner has stuffed polyester batting to this vent. I felt that part, and it is very cold, seems to be air coming directly from the outside. Whatever is this vent for, can anyone tell me?

Can I block it or just seal it off instead of using batting there? The vent is circled in red. Where the black arrow is just points to where the air filter goes in for the furnace.


Comments (5)