roberta_long12

ongoing dilemna on Refrigerator choices

Roberta Long
last modified: December 2, 2019

Hi -

We did a full renovation in 2012 - my DH insisted on the All-Refrigerator and All-Freezer models - we went with Electrolux and planned around them. I have a 66 inch space for fridge/freezer.

About a year later the problems began - the fridge has broken in 2014, 2016, 2017 and now, So many times that they actually replaced it 2014 with a brand new one - which is subsequently breaking. The door switch that alarms when open has failed, the seal has failed, lighting has failed and it is leaking on the floor.

When it failed in 2017, I bought the Whirlpool sidekicks for my mudroom with the intention of swapping them out with the Electroluxes when they failed again. When I did try the Whirlpool sidekicks in the kitchen, they don't fit the space well and frankly the interior design is awkward. They are deeper than counter depth also and we are dealing with a limited walkway width, so counter depth is critical.

So I have 2 pairs of all-fridge/all-freezer -

- 1 Electrolux set (failing, still installed in kitchen)

- 1 Whirlpool set (working ok, but not the right fit for my kitchen, installed in mudroom/dog kennel room)

I don't want to spend more $$$ on fridge that has failed me so many times. But I don't want to be impulsive.

I am thinking of replacing the pair with 2 counter depth fridges - either fridge on top model or french door model - I like idea of the fridge on top models since easier access to the cold food - and having more cold food instead of freezer spaces makes sense for how I cook (family of 9 - 4 humans, 5 canines, I cook for all of us)

Here are my concerns:

1. I am concerned that french door style will be too many small doors to open and will smack into each other next to each other.

2. There are almost no options for fridge on top counter depth at 33 inches wide. The only option I could find was this https://www.lowes.com/pd/Hisense-17-1-cu-ft-Bottom-Freezer-Refrigerator-Stainless-Steel-ENERGY-STAR/1001105742

3. I could go with a wider french door fridge such as a 36 - but then I have a 30 inch gap to fill. I have enough leftover cabinet parts and pieces (IKEA) that I could fill in 30 inch space by DH is worried that I am going to rip the kitchen apart (which I have been known to do) and us still not like it. I tried a similar option in 2014 - but the fridge was standard depth and stuck out way into the walkway.

Any suggestions? Have I lost my marbles? I don't want to spend more $$$ on fridge that has failed me so many times. But I don't want to be impulsive.

Thank you for any suggestions!!!!!

Roberta