Software
Houzz Logo Print
christy_parker73

Modern farmhouse exterior choices

6 years ago

Have to make a decision this week. White? Grey? Original plan called for white with black shutters & door. Was set on that until someone suggested grey with white trim. Help!!

Comments (22)

  • 6 years ago

    I would stick with white. Gray will just blend in with your roof.

  • 6 years ago

    I feel like so many new builds are gray. To me, black and white is so timeless. So that's my vote.

  • PRO
    6 years ago

    What color speaks "modern farmhouse" to you the most? Perhaps you have to weigh the "original plan" versus "someone suggested" to determine what has more validity and substance.

  • 6 years ago
    last modified: 6 years ago

    There has been a trend of modern farmhouses popping up and they are all white and recently it has switched to Gray. So just pick a color you like and go with it. love your roof. The trend is also no shutters, but again do what you like.

    Search pinterest houzz and instagram. And then try them out [paint on sample paper, etc. and put on your house].

    Best of luck.

  • 6 years ago

    White.

  • 6 years ago

    My vote is white too. With the gray roof, it will look great!

  • 6 years ago
    last modified: 6 years ago

    It’s a shame there couldn’t have been an accent siding as well as trim used on one or both of the gable ends to lend some more personality on the facade. There’s a whole lotta beige going on. It wouldn’t amount to a large investment either down the road if you wanted it switched out. In the example below it shows how trim and well chosen accents elevated this exterior substantially.

    Lake House Cabana · More Info


  • 6 years ago

    The house does have trim, the hardiplank is just factory primed grayish/beige but nothing has been painted yet.

  • 6 years ago



    I guess this requires black windows, but I like the simple black and white combination.

  • 6 years ago

    I think white since your roof is gray.

  • 6 years ago
    last modified: 6 years ago

    nuthinontv.....Christy’s home is a different style compared to the one in your pic. What gives that structure personality are the cedar shakes, flared siding, wood garage doors along with the cupola, stone base and roof pitch....it’s really a completely different animal.

  • 6 years ago

    Another vote for white and black.

  • 6 years ago

    A better color for the shutters would be a very dark green.

  • 6 years ago

    Funny you say that my horse barns and arena are dark green but to be honest I’m a bit tired of green!

  • PRO
    6 years ago
    last modified: 6 years ago

    I (of course) vote for Hunter Orange; it will be very helpful when guiding first time visitors to your house.

  • 6 years ago

    Christy, since your first inclination was white with black ,which is classic , this may be out of your comfort zone — and not knowing how much land surrounds your home and how close neighboring homes are, also makes it hard to know what might be appropriate choices . Just throwing this out there ,however, to show that a farm style house can really be any color you like. I love white with black shutters, but also really like red, (bright or muted shades ) or pale yellow with white shutters . Iterations of chalky navy blues are nice, also. Some examples -

  • 6 years ago

    I should have mentioned I’m on 10 acres on a real horse farm. No neighbors!

  • 6 years ago

    I vote white!

  • 6 years ago

    are there plans to have window boxes or something to fill the large space underneath the windows?

  • PRO
    6 years ago
    last modified: 6 years ago

    BTW most modern farm houses have black windows and no shutters but the black and white is classic for this style and that is what I would suggest even with the white windows you could add simple wider black trim to those windows to get that look No window boxes but of course good landscaping will add a lot to the look

  • PRO
    6 years ago

    What a lovely home! Here are a few photos from our customers after they installed their custom Timberlane Shutters.