Software
Houzz Logo Print
macd27988

Galley Kitchen Advice

6 years ago

I'm looking to spruce up my kitchen and was hoping to get some advice from you folks that are much better at this than my wife and me. Thanks in advance for any advice!


Originally my wife and I were thinking to do a full kitchen remodel removing walls, new cabinets, appliances etc.. However, unfortunately, we just don't know how long we'll be in this house and it'll never be our dream house no matter what we do in terms of renovations, so we are thinking to do something lower scale. That said, we might very well be here 5-7 more years (or could be 1 year for that matter), and we'd like to give the kitchen a touch nicer. Nothing specific, since we are terrible with design stuff - we just want a nicer spot to cook. We're giving ourselves a budget of $10k, but don't need to spend all of it if it isn't worth it.


We're debating whether or not to remove the pantry to open it a little to the living room, but then we don't have a great spot for our TV (which would probably have to be hung on the load bearing wall, not sure if that's weird or not). We haven't gotten this costed out yet either so maybe it's not within our budget anyway. We're OK with the floors (newer), cabinets (repainted good color), and appliances (newer). Countertops need to go and some kind of backsplash.


If this was your kitchen and you had $10k budget, what would you do?


I'm attaching some pictures. I appreciate any tips or advice!



Galley kitchen with entrances both sides. Other side of load bearing wall is pantry (that isn't used much)


Pantry view and adjoining non-load bearing wall


Other side of non-load bearing wall is pantry. Living room is small, so only spot for TV is either non-load bearing or load bearing wall pictured below.


Comments (11)

  • 6 years ago

    I'd recommend getting some quotes on all those items you listed that you would like to do and then whittle down your choices from there, because countertops and floor/backsplash tile alone could use up the budget depending on your choices. New appliances alone could take the budget depending on your choices. If you are seriously thinking you'll move in a few years' time, I'd put the money into savings. We're in the middle of a flood-induced remodel, and although our house isn't our dream home either just as you said in relationship to yours, the investment is making us plan to stay put for a long time to get the use out of it. You won't recoup all your expenses at sale based on national averages. Kitchen remodels generally end up costing more than you'd think. A professional prep and re-paint of that cabinetry could cost half your budget, for example.

    macd27988 thanked Aglitter
  • PRO
    6 years ago

    Extend flooring from adjacent room into kitchen.

    Do cabinet doors close nicely? Several seem ajar; perhaps, reface cabinets with new doors.

    Keep pantry.

    macd27988 thanked mdln
  • 6 years ago

    Most of the money you spend on this house is money you will be gifting to the next owner and won't have to spend on your next home.


    If I were you, I would concentrate on what will make the space function better for the time you are going to be there. It looks like you are struggling with storage space. I would concentrate my efforts on creating better storage.

    macd27988 thanked Jennifer Hogan
  • 6 years ago

    Nothing will make a bigger impact than clearing off the countertops and fixing the cabinet doors that don't shut. Consider hiring a personal organizer to optimize your cabinet and pantry space. There may be some fairly inexpensive things like pull outs in the base cabinets that could make a big difference in everyday use. Lighting in the pantry can be a big help. Bigger knobs instead of the tiny ones on the pantry would be more comfortable to use.

    macd27988 thanked apple_pie_order
  • 6 years ago

    There's a big difference between staying for 1 more year vs 7. Either way, I think I would probably look at redoing your pantry to make it more functional, so you have less stuff on your countertops.

    macd27988 thanked laurafhallen
  • 6 years ago

    Thanks all for your comments! A lot of great ideas and definitely makes me rethink some things. Storage shouldn't be a problem for us as is - we have a lot of empty cabinets, but we do need to be more intentional about putting things away. That's a free way to make it better :)

  • 6 years ago

    Lots of good advice. I agree, forget about moving walls and focus on smaller tasks. If those cupboards don't shut, that would be my #1 priority + new pulls. I'd also re-do the pantry so you can be better organized & get rid of all the clutter; install an in-cabinet trash barrel to get that out of the way. Under counter lighting is another easy one & looks like you could use it.

    macd27988 thanked PN _Bos
  • PRO
    6 years ago

    I think the pantry is a great selling point - I would not get rid of that. Maybe some nicer doors. I agree with others about the cabinet doors - do they stay closed?? Can that be fixed? Look into refacing if you want, but that can be as costly as a new kitchen sometimes so make sure to shop around.

    The floor isn't horrible - it may look better if you have a professional steam clean done and regrout it in a color that almost matches it.

    After that...I don't know

    macd27988 thanked Debbi Washburn
  • 6 years ago

    Self-inflicted on the cabinet drawers not closing :) and easily fixed.


    When we moved in, the cabinets banged really loud when we shut them, so I installed some "soft close" attachments inside the corner of the cabinets. Some work great, others not so much. Probably a good idea to remove with everyone pointing that out!

  • 6 years ago
    last modified: 6 years ago

    I'd price out base drawer cabs on fridge side. you have 60 in or so? You can get two 30 in stacks for 1500.00 approx . Butcher block top from IKEA on that side will help w costs , but you want new counters anyway ....so price out corian or what you expect to do. New hardware , floor runner. Get slab fronts on the drawers to blend w sink side. .....it won't be that hard . Those base cabs w hinges in a galley do not make the galley user friendly .....a galley can be one of the best kitchens so get going w base drawers / you will reap the benefit as well any living soul who lives there.

    macd27988 thanked herbflavor