Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
ninapearl_gw

jorah got his angel wings

Ninapearl
4 years ago

it's been a really emotional few weeks for me. my dane boy was diagnosed with severe kidney failure on december 2. special food, numerous medications, subQ fluids every other day and last monday/tuesday/wednesday, hospitalization with i.v. fluids to try and bring him out of this crisis. when it was obvious that he was failing fast and would not recover, my vet and i agreed it would be a kindness to lay him to rest.

jorah had been with me for only a year and 4 months. he was the embodiment of what a great dane should be...happy, goofy, lovable, just a total joy to everyone he met. i miss him so much and still have a hard time with losing him so suddenly and unexpectedly.

hug your furry friends tight, we just never know how long we have with them.

Comments (20)

• Stax
    4 years ago

I share cooper8828's sentiments. It does seem like just yesterday he came to you!

Ninapearl thanked Stax
  • Ninapearl
    Original Author
    4 years ago

indeed, our time together was much too short. jorah was only with me for one year, 4 months. thank you for the kind words.

• arkansas girl
    4 years ago

That is so sad! How old was he? I know that Dane's don't live to be as old as some smaller breeds. :(

Ninapearl thanked arkansas girl
  • Ninapearl
    Original Author
    4 years ago

thanks, everybody. @arkansas girl jorah was 8.5 years old. danes are living longer these days due to better foods being available and better vet care. it isn't unusual to see them reach double digits nowadays. my oldest girl, olivia, will be 13 in april and she is 2 years post-diagnosis for a leaky valve in her heart. meds are working wonders for her and she is still a happy girl!

• anniesjacuzzi
    4 years ago

Oh Ninapearl❤️ I am so very sorry:(. I remember you writing when you first got Jorah. This is the part about loving our pets that isn’t fair. My Heart will be with you in the coming months....Robin

Ninapearl thanked anniesjacuzzi
  • Ninapearl
    Original Author
    4 years ago

thank you, robin. i took so many pictures of jorah that now, of course, my facebook "memories" remind me every day of what i lost. it's been one week now and i miss him terribly. the girls are getting better but olivia took it hard to the point she stopped eating for a couple of days. :(

• socks
    4 years ago

So very, very sorry....it hurts so much. He was gorgeous and I know he loved every moment with you and the other dogs. He got to be himself. It was probably the best part of his life. I feel your sadness especially because we are missing our dear kitty at this time. There are worse losses than pets, but it sure does hurt! Thanks for sharing.

Ninapearl thanked socks
  • murraysmom Zone 6a OH
    4 years ago

Jorah packed a lot of living in that year and 4 months. His last year + was probably the best in his life. He was quite the character and I know you will miss him dearly. Please give the girls a hug for me. I'm so sorry for your loss.

Ninapearl thanked murraysmom Zone 6a OH
  • anniesjacuzzi
    4 years ago

Nina....hugs to you and the girls. I had to take Annie to the vet on Monday...Bugsy slept next to her that night....they have feelings just like we do:(. Hugs to all of you

• Sylvia Gordon
    4 years ago

I am so sorry.

Ninapearl thanked Sylvia Gordon
  • christine 5b
    4 years ago

Nina, I am only reading this now, you have my deepest condolences on the loss of Jorah, he was such a beautiful boy, he may have only been with you a short time but that time was a lifetime of love to him.

Ninapearl thanked christine 5b
  • castle81ma6b
    4 years ago

Long time reader/lurker and have recently started posting. I'm very sorry to hear about the loss of Jorah. What a beautiful dog and wonderful pet. I have loved reading about your Great Danes over the years and seeing their pictures. My 13 year old rescued chocolate lab died in June of cancer so understand the deep sense of sadness and loss you feel. I admire your knowledge and love of your dogs. Peace and sympathy.

Ninapearl thanked castle81ma6b
  • Ninapearl
    Original Author
    4 years ago

@castle81 i'm so sorry for your loss, too. thank you for the kind words. i brought jorah home yesterday, i'm expecting delivery of his urn this week. that will make it final for me and i will be able to move on although i will never stop grieving him. he was such an awesome dane!

it's so nice to know others see my pictures and admire my pups. they are my world and with each loss, i say no more but i just can't help myself. there are so many danes in rescues all over the country and the seniors always tug at my heartstrings!

olivia was also impacted by this loss, more so than destiny and eden. she and jorah were so very bonded and the first few days he was gone, she refused all food. she's doing much better now, much to my relief!

• pamghatten
    4 years ago

Oh Nina, I am so very sorry for your loss! Glad to hear Olivia is doing better, it's always even more heartbreaking to watch the furry brothers & sisters grieve for the loss of one of their family members.

Ninapearl thanked pamghatten
  • Ninapearl
    Original Author
    4 years ago
    last modified: 4 years ago

@pamghatten yes, so true. olivia has been through a couple of other losses with me and she was allowed to say her good-byes after the procedure was done. both times, she sniffed her friend, gave him a nudge and then walked away. this time was an emergency matter and she wasn't with me. so, i took jorah away and came home without him. i'm sure she was confused and obviously, she was sad for a few days. i was expecting this so she got lots of extra attention and i hand-fed her for a few days. i worried a lot about her since she has heart disease but she seems to have rallied. she has her 6 month follow-up cardiac ultrasound in a couple of weeks.

• Ninapearl
    Original Author
    4 years ago

• anniesjacuzzi
    4 years ago
    last modified: 4 years ago

Ninapearl❤️

• Nancy in Mich
    4 years ago

What a nice box for his ashes. I am sorry for your loss, Nina. One of our rescues went into kidney failure after having surgery to remove a bleeding cancer on her toe in 2012. The surgery was fine, but she never started eating again. She was a very nervous creature, never becoming used to even being touched after living her first four years in a hoarder's kennel, so this minor surgery became a major trauma for her. I imagine your last weeks with Jorah were similar, not sure that it was serious, then getting worse and worse until all of a sudden, the dog is gone. Looking back, you can see how it all snowballed. I am glad your Olivia is doing better. Best wishes to you and your family.

Ninapearl thanked Nancy in Mich
  • Michele
    4 years ago

I’m sorry. It is so hard. I hope you find comfort in the happy memories in time.

Ninapearl thanked Michele