Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
shoponrodeo

What color should I paint my walls?

Stacy Dill
10 years ago
Hello Houzz Community! So my walls have been this color for 7 years, and I have been slowly replacing all the furniture and curtains in my LR. Also our furnace backed up so the walls are filthy and they need a new paint job! I love my new sofa, the purple recliner will be replaced with another paisley chair like you see in the pic. I will be removing the oval thomasville end table and putting two tall lamps on either side of my sofa. Now the wall color is just too much for me. I want to do a grey, taupe or white. What do you think would be best? This is the room in our house we spend the most time in, and the adjoining DR is brown. Options I was considering these Benjamin Moore colors - Gray Huskie, Silver Fox, Shenandoah Taupe, La Paloma Gray, Stone by Valspar. Thank you for your help, I will be painting this weekend! A side note, do you think I should replace the area rug?

Comments (187)

• abbyjean
    10 years ago
    last modified: 10 years ago
    Menard's is one of my favorites.
  • jen046
    10 years ago
    I'm glad you are still considering Mindful Gray. I think it is the warmest gray I've ever seen.
  • PRO
    Rug&Rugs
    10 years ago
    What about using an overdyed or patchwork carpet?

These are from www.carpetbasket.com
    Stacy Dill thanked Rug&Rugs
  • Laura Starzyk
    10 years ago
    Wow! What a fun room! You have so many options! Windows: If you love the curtains, keep them and accent with black. I am with Denise, blinds are wonderful and the faux look like the real and you can adjust your lighting in your room. Paint: definitely a light grey. I like the idea of using toy box for coffee table and use a black tray with your accessories inside for easy removal. I love your picture! I like the green accent wall for the tv with the black credenza (wall mounting is expensive!!! So if you plan to take your tv In 18 months do not wall mount) Rug, go for comfy and kid friendly; easy on the pattern for resale appeal.
    Stacy Dill thanked Laura Starzyk
  • Nancy Walton
    10 years ago
    I like the rug you have now, I think when you paint the walls gray, you will like it better. I would wait until you see what the wall color will do for the room before you spend money on a new rug...
  • abbyjean
    10 years ago
    Nancy, that has been my thought all along, too. It may be a pleasant surprise!
  • jen046
    10 years ago
    Hee hee! Had to Google "subway scroll." As a west coast girl, I had no idea what you all were talking about!
  • Stacy Dill
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    Thank you everyone for your input! Just a few short days and I will be painting! I will wait til the color is up to buy a new rug, we will see how this one looks. The search continues for a credenza!
  • PRO
    B.L. Rieke Custom Home Builders
    10 years ago
    Keep us updated, Stacy!
  • industrialing
    10 years ago
    Maybe a light griege (grey+beige) or a light minty green- or with a white. Replace the rug with a lighter color. Get a pouf? Try lightening things up
  • Denise
    10 years ago
    I can't wait to see your progress!
  • jen046
    10 years ago
    The suspense is killing me! Paint! Paint! We want paint!
  • Stacy Dill
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    Hi everyone! Okay, I am really leaning towards taupe or greige- because with the grey paint samples, I am always seeing a blue undertone. Does anyone have any good pics they can send over of a grey sofa with taupe or greige walls? I really want the space to feel comfy and cozy. Tomorrow is the day I am painting! Can anyone suggest what I should clean my walls with before I paint? They have soot all over them.
  • jrobertson7148
    10 years ago
    I suggested you paint the walls taupe and I see that others have suggested grey. I love grey and would suggest that too if you had more white trim to lighten up the room. But since you don't and your grey sofa is right up against the wall, I really think a contrasting wall color like taupe would make your sofa standout and not blend right in to the walls. Plus I think you'll get a warmer feel with taupe. Either way, you can't go wrong with taupe or light grey walls.
  • PRO
    10 years ago
    I have a few pictures. The first is of a violet taupe wall, the second is of a soft beige wall, and the third is of a creme beige wall--all with grey sofas.

As for cleaning your walls, the go-to is warm water with a soft sponge--use as little water as possible without scrubbing to avoid over-saturating the paint. If that doesn't work, use a solution of mild dish detergent diluted with water. Also, here are some tips for cleaning your walls: http://www.benjaminmoore.com/en-us/for-contractors/washing-latex-wall-paint
  • Denise
    10 years ago
    I know many grays do have blue undertones. I recently painted my bathroom with a color called "Smooth Stone" by Glidden. It has a beige undertone and I love it. I used it for the vanity and I painted the walls "Driftwood Gray" which is a much darker gray.
  • Stacy Dill
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    Jrobertson, I agree. I was originally debating between the 2 and most people said gray. But lately my gut is saying- taupe, taupe! Thanks or the pics BL!
  • shortped
    10 years ago
    When my husband bought his previous home, someone had smoked a TON....walls were gross....he used "Mean Green" to de grease the walls, then mild soapy water....after they dried, then painted and they were beautiful
  • shortped
    10 years ago
    Did u paint yet?
  • RedRyder
    10 years ago
    If your family is moving within 18 months, keep the costs of your renovation DOWN! You should leave your curtains. They're great. By using the lightly colored wall paint, the moldings will look better. That's a key selling feature so the light contrast is a good idea. Re-purpose the toy chest as a coffee table as suggested. Then stop, take new photos for all of these great contributors to see and then think Part II.
  • Stacy Dill
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    Okay everyone, here it is! What do you think? Just pinned the curtain up there to give you an idea of one of the options. Just in case anyone ever has to clean soot off their walls, they make a special sponge for it and then a special primer that u have to use before painting.
  • Stacy Dill
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    The toy box is too tall to use as a coffee table, I have moved it to the right of this photo in front of the window.
  • bumblebee728
    10 years ago
    Hi Stacy, the color is beautiful! May I ask the name of it?
    Stacy Dill thanked bumblebee728
  • abbyjean
    10 years ago
    It has to feel like a whole new space! Time and effort well spent! AND clean for you now, too!
    Stacy Dill thanked abbyjean
  • PRO
    10 years ago
    The room feels much more comfortable and warm now! The taupe is a lot easier on the eyes as well. The curtain is a bit dull however, and seems to die against the taupe walls. I'd suggest bringing in a brighter pop of color for the curtains to really bring pizzazz to the room. Adding some patterned throw pillows would also increase the "casual" effect.

The first picture below shows beautiful long green curtains, and the second two provide great ideas for throw pillows.
    Stacy Dill thanked B.L. Rieke Custom Home Builders
  • Laura Starzyk
    10 years ago
    Love the paint! Now everything should start falling into place. What color did you use?? In order to use the curtains you love, keep them pulled back and tight from the window and do an inexpensive inside window mounted pull down type shade to give you privacy when needed?? Really like the coffee table you have.
    Keep the colors on it neutral with whites, taupes, greys and maybe a pop of the green in the chairs...it will look great! It may also balance the black credenza you are wanting under the tv. A little black is always GOOD!
    Stacy Dill thanked Laura Starzyk
  • Stacy Dill
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    I used Pismo Dunes by Banjamin Moore. I have some green curtains that I will put up today, It's either between them and a teal pair. I will send pics.
    Problem is I only have 2 panels of each, and both sets I bought 5+ years ago, so I have to go to the store and see if they still carry either one. I also have another wood coffee table that I put in place of the black ottoman. My husband likes it better. But I think it is too small, I will post a pic showing that as well.
    Now for the credenza, I need your help! My TV is 48 1/2" long, how long should the credenza be? I found 1 that I like on craigslist. The white one is 50" long, and the wooden one is 60" long.
    Which one do you think would look better? I also bought some cool throw pillows yesterday that I love, very fun and funky which is what I want to do to make the room interesting. Thanks everyone!
  • abbyjean
    10 years ago
    Those are both great pieces for the tv!!! Do you need to worry about the long one fitting on the wall? If not, it seems like the longer one will be a better proportion for the tv. That will only be about 6 inches on either side. The other would be less than an inch. Yikes! Are you giving up on your dream curtains in this home? I would love to see them with this color on the wall. I loved them with the couch, that is for sure!
  • PRO
    10 years ago
    Extra wide TV consoles (relative to the width of your TV) provide extra room for display and decor items, such as picture frames, vases, floral arrangements, etc. That's a big pro for the wide wood credenza; however I'd suggest painting it matte black (if you have other black accents) or antique white (and distressing the edges) or sanding off the current stain and then re-staining with a dark walnut color. The white credenza is too narrow for your TV (at least couple of inches on each side is ideal) and will likely be dwarfed by it. Not to mention that the TV would be easier to knock off of the credenza that way. The white one is such a precious piece, though! Very classy.
  • Stacy Dill
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    I was afraid that the white one was gonna be too small! Okay, I'm gonna buy the wooden one. I'm a little nervous about re-staining, I have never done that before. That one is only $40, so that's good, I just hope they still have it.
  • bumblebee728
    10 years ago
    I like the wooden one, great buy!
  • abbyjean
    10 years ago
    Just curious....what color of wood is your new coffee table in the room? Does it match this maybe???
  • nlim143
    10 years ago
    Stacy - where did you find that graphite credenza you posted above? Thanks.
  • Stacy Dill
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    That one is from Etsy, it is so beautiful, but out of my budget! The coffee table is a medium/dark wood- I think this one is more honey. I will post a pic soon, re-arranged the furniture again and this seating arrangement is much better for the room. Before my son didn't have any space to play. Will be getting curtains this weekend, cannot wait! And the new pillows I got look awesome on the couch. Still waiting to hear back about the credenza on craigslist. And good news, I sold my purple chair!
  • nlim143
    10 years ago
    Thank you.
  • abbyjean
    10 years ago
    Things are really falling in to place for you, which to me, always means it is a GOOD SIGN that THIS is the way it is all meant to be!!!
  • PRO
    Hummingbird Designs
    10 years ago
    Here are a few colour pallets .... What ever colour you chose bring it in with accessories ie pillows , vase ,curtains
    Stacy Dill thanked Hummingbird Designs
  • Nancy Travisinteriors
    10 years ago
    Dove gray.
  • PRO
    Arlene Awarda Architect
    10 years ago
    This is a most interesting 'Houzz' discussion. I hope to see the transformation, made by Stacy with all these ideas!....
    Stacy Dill thanked Arlene Awarda Architect
  • lincolnlover
    10 years ago
    I think grey would make your sofa blend in and white is a great color i bedroom but the room you spend most time in you would want something soothing like green but since your chairs are green it might clash i say match the darker green in the chair
  • PRO
    10 years ago
    Now that I look back on the picture of the credenza you're buying, I think buying some funky new hardware (i.e. knobs and pulls) in brushed satin silver or stainless steel would be a great way to make it more modern and fun.

Also, how do the insides of the drawers and doors look? If they're stained in similar fashion to the outside and look attractive, perhaps you could take off the four drawers, doors, and hinges on the lower half and then filling the screws holes with wood putty in a honey color. Having open spaces in a credenza is both a modern and casual look. If the insides aren't attractive, you could paint the entire thing a soft matte black. That, with new silver-toned hardware, would look fabulous. :)
  • Stacy Dill
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    Here is another pic for you guys! The blue curtains are just temporary! I am loving the seating arrangement, works so well. Blk- yes I will do fun knobs for sure. Something bright and unusual! But sadly, they sold the credenza before I could get to it! So I'm on the hunt again.
  • Stacy Dill
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    On a side note, I changed my DR into a play room for my son. But I am thinking of buying the white credenza above that was too Hirt for my tv to use in my new play room where the black ottoman is now. What do you think?
  • sullenbj
    10 years ago
    I can see from the photos that your room is quite small but what about using your sofa as a divider so when you come in the front door the BACK of the sofa is creating a bit of a hallway/entry? Love those 2 wood chairs so I would try them in the living room side by side as they have a small scale and won't overwhelm the space! Love the wall color and the green drapes for punch. Wouldn't mind seeing the black ottoman in the living room. Give it a try! If you hate it you can always take it out. A coffee table/ottoman with a lower height will serve you well.......keep going, you are doing well on a tight budget!
  • PRO
    10 years ago
    Uh oh! Well, there are lots of credenzas out there... everything happens for a reason, so I bet you'll find a great one!

That white credenza would look wonderful in the play room, especially since it looks sturdy and "safe" for little ones. If it rocks back and forth, you might want to anchor it to the wall, and I'd recommend installing a child lock mechanism on the doors (you can find them at Walmart or Home Depot). The white will accent the white lines in the area rug, as well!
  • abbyjean
    10 years ago
    That is a GREAT furniture arrangement! Am I seeing green curtains in the first pic? IF my computer is not playing tricks on my, I LOVE that color in there with your chairs! AND it ties in with that rug, which I love, in the playroom now.
  • Stacy Dill
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    Yes, the curtains are green;) what kind of rug do you guys think I should do? Pattern? Shag? What would you call my style?
  • abbyjean
    10 years ago
    Would you ever consider bringing that other rug back in there with those curtains????? AND getting a soft shag rug for the play room? Or let us see it in the room to see what it looks like? There is just something about that rug that I love! Not that your playroom does not deserve it, but..........
  • abbyjean
    10 years ago
    Any chance....and this is going to sound strange........that you would consider flipping the coffee table and the bench under the window? That black just seems to look like a great ottoman for the couch and the wooden one seems like a great bench for under the window. MAYBE a pillow on the back of it? Just had to say that so I could sleep tonight and not wonder anymore.
  • Stacy Dill
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    I am not sure how to put a pillow on the back of the bench, maybe Im just not sure what you mean.
    I can try moving the rug back in to see how it looks now, but I always felt like that rug was too small for that room. It's a 5x7. and I need at least a 6x8. I cannot find these color curtains anywhere! If anyone sees curtains in lemongrass please let me know!
    I checked BBB, Ikea, JCP, Overstock, Hayneedle- I ordered some from Wal Mart because they were the only ones that had a color anything close to these. I am in love with that color!