Software
Houzz Logo Print
jacqueline9ca

Annie's Annuals rose class

6 years ago

Annie's Annuals, in Richmond, CA is having a class about caring for new and old classes of roses on Sat, Jan 11th at 11AM. The speaker will be Cristin Fusano, horticulturalist and rose expert from Southern CA.


Annie's will have all sorts of own root roses for sale, including "Grandmother's Hat", 'Golden Celebration', ' Phyllis Bide, 'Veilchenblau', 'Duchesse de Brabant', 'Carefree Delight', and 'Lace Castle', all of which do well in Northern Calif.


Jackie


Comments (16)

  • 6 years ago

    Thanks for the heads up, I live c. 3 miles from Annies and bought my Lyda Rose and a Grandmothers Hat from her nursery several years ago.

    Lux.

  • 6 years ago

    I got that email, and sure wish Annie’s was nearby. My Felicia rose came from Annie’s and is wonderful. I wondered about Cristin Fusano myself, Jeri. I’ve never heard of him. Lisa

  • 6 years ago

    Apparently Cristin Fusano is or was a “consulting horticulturist” for Rodgers Gardens in Corona Del Mar. I’m not familiar with her. When I searched her name with the word “roses” behind it, lots of other plants for S CA popped up as well. Maybe she’s really getting into roses lately? Lisa

  • 6 years ago

    I don't know anything about her either, but the add says that she will discuss the care of new AND old roses. A friend of mine who has a few HTs, and who I am trying to introduce to antique roses, asked me if I wanted to go, so I said yes. I will let you know my opinion of her advice. Evidently she did make a DVD about roses for Rogers Gardens.


    Jackie

  • 6 years ago

    You're close enough -- and it would probably be a fun jaunt.

    But -- but -- but . . . believe me -- there's a plethora of really knowledgeable rosarians in California -- North OR South who would be more likely to have real knowledge about the topic.

  • 6 years ago

    I was thinking likewise, Jeri. Hopefully Jackie will be pleasantly surprised. Maybe she’s a personal friend of the owner, or there’s some other specific reason or connection there. Better yet, maybe she’s a little known wealth of rose knowledge.

    I’m glad to hear that you and a friend are attending, Jackie! I dearly wish I could join you there, and not just for the rose class. I absolutely love Annie’s plants, and have often wished I could attend her big spring or fall garden parties. The chance to browse the nursery has been a long time wish of mine. It’s not likely to happen, ever. It’s just WAY too far to be feasible, especially with the all the plants I’d like to take home. Enjoy yourself next weekend. I hope the rose class is helpful to your friend. It will be interesting to hear your thoughts on how knowledgeable she is about roses, both old and modern. Lisa

  • 6 years ago

    Thanks for the info Jackie.

    Annie’s is one of my favorite nurseries, it’s always a treat to spend a few hours exploring her vast collection of plants. If you ever get the chance to visit it Lisa, I highly recommend it. Annie and the staff are even nicer in person if that is possible.

  • 6 years ago

    So, I just got back from what turned out to be a 1 hr and 45 minute lecture on pruning roses. It was VERY well attended, (SRO) and most of the questions were from people who had some roses and did not know much about them. That is evidently the audience this class was aimed at, so I have to say that it was well aimed. The talk was basically how to prune HTs, modern shrub & floribunda roses, and LFCs, all grafted onto root stock. I did not notice any errors in her suggestions, although some could be argued about.


    My objections were that she failed to even mention that there are numerous classes of roses which grow well in Calif. which are NOT HTs, modern shrubs, floribundas, or LFCs, which might need a completely different type or amount of pruning, except in passing in a few dismissive words. She did mention that you can buy roses on their own roots (I think because Annie's only sells roses that way). Also she advocated spraying for disease and "pests". '


    Jackie

  • 6 years ago

    That's too bad. Particularly since I KNOW Annie's sells "Grandmother's Hat," which clearly ain't a modern rose. :-(

  • 6 years ago

    Annies had several old roses for sale in addition to GH. In fact, as I recall about 50% of the limited number of roses they had were old roses.


    Jackie

  • 6 years ago

    Jackie, what is an L FC? Did she talk about hybrid musk's?

  • 6 years ago

    Large Flowered Climber. No, she only talked about the types of roses I mentioned. "Shrub" was as close as she got to hybrid musks.


    Jackie

  • 6 years ago
    last modified: 6 years ago

    Oh, thank you, (smacking my forehead)! I guess I know how to do that! Maybe some the attendees will feel more confident and widen their horizons. It's too bad in another sense because there's a lot to know about pruning some older types and HMs.

  • 6 years ago

    Fact is, she likely didn't talk about the "other" types of roses because she really didn't KNOW how to prune 'em. (Or, NOT-prune, as the case may be.)

  • 6 years ago

    I misread LFC as LHC at first, lol! I've been watching too many physics videos recently, it seems. ;-)

Sponsored
AIS Renovations
Average rating: 4.5 out of 5 stars15 Reviews
Custom Craftsmanship & Construction Solutions in Franklin County, Ohio