Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
fel76

Mount tv on wall off center

fel76
4 years ago
last modified: 4 years ago

I'd like to get a bigger tv and mount it on the wall. Currently, my configuration only supports a corner tv stand. Would it be odd to mount the tv on the wall off center (where the 3 pictures are) and then have a swivel mount to angle it out like it would on a corner stand?

Comments (25)

• PRO
    Celery. Visualization, Rendering images
    4 years ago

IMO it would be too high for TV.

• fel76
    Original Author
    4 years ago

On that wall i have the option to lower it, but I was wondering if it would look strange off center.

• Sammie J
    4 years ago

What is on the rest of the wall? Can you back up and post another picture? It's not possible to give a good answer without more info...

• fel76
    Original Author
    4 years ago

• PRO
    Madden, Slick & Bontempo, Inc
    4 years ago

I wonder if you could incorporate the TV into a gallery wall so that it wouldn't look as offset of the cabinet but rather, part of the artwork.

Contemporary Bedroom · More Info

Home Makeover · More Info

fel76 thanked Madden, Slick & Bontempo, Inc
  • fel76
    Original Author
    4 years ago

Thanks @BeverlyFLADeziner! That's a good idea, but my corner is really close to a window. Sorry it doesn't show that well in the pictures.

• partim
    4 years ago

Can you switch the sofa and the chair, and then center the TV on the wall?

• shirlpp
    4 years ago

Why do you want the TV on the wall? Why not buy another TV console that you'd center with the wall and put your new TV on it.

• fel76
    Original Author
    4 years ago

If I switch the sofa and the chair, is it ok to have the couch perpendicular to the fireplace? Also, we have a small dining area that the couch would cut into. I'm open to a new console centered along the wall, it's just a matter of the couch being right next to the fireplace at a perpendicular angle; that is strange right?

• PRO
    Kitchen Tune-up Zeeland, Sales & Design
    4 years ago

I think it will look fine. just move that tree picture over and down...put it under the heat register. that will balance the TV visually.

• partim
    4 years ago
    last modified: 4 years ago

I can't tell from your photo how far the couch would stick out into the room, or whether it would interfere with the table. But it is OK for a sofa to be perpendicular to a fireplace. You would need to pull it back so it does not cover the fireplace i.e. it would actually be perpendicular to the window. But be aware of @decoenthusiaste 's tips above on how far the TV is from the viewing area.

• tatts
    4 years ago

There is nothing magical about a TV--or anything--being centered. Hang it on a swivel mount wherever it's handy. I have 2 of them, and they're great. Go to Monoprice for a huge selection at great prices.

• fel76
    Original Author
    4 years ago

Thanks @tatts! Thats all I needed to hear! :-D

• lindahambleton
    4 years ago

I think it will be fine. It may not be centered to the wall but it looks like it will be centered to the viewing area. You will probably have it pulled out and angled a lot.

• PRO
    Patricia Colwell Consulting
    4 years ago

There is no reason to not center the TV on the wall and have the sofa facing it.

• fel76
    Original Author
    4 years ago

I tried moving the sofa to face the wall and go perpendicular to the fireplace, but it looks strange to block the fireplace. Also if I move the couch back to be more perpendicular to the window, then it only leaves about a 2 ft space between the couch and the dining area.

• partim
    4 years ago

How about this?

• fel76
    Original Author
    4 years ago

Thanks @partim, that's an idea too; we used to have the tv there. But with the couch up against the far wall, it was pretty far away. Ideally, the couch would be perpendicular to the left window, but then there was wasted space behind the couch.

• partim
    4 years ago

Yes, I was thinking of the couch perpendicular to the left window. Now that you're getting a larger TV, maybe it would work better than when you tried it before. Decoenthusiaste's link may be helpful in deciding.

fel76 thanked partim
  • shirlpp
    4 years ago

Put a sofa table or bookcase behind the couch so the space would not be wasted. You can put stuff on both of these.

IMO putting it near that window would be awkward and interfere with curtains(once you get them).

• ecm123
    4 years ago

A gallery wall with a tv framed.

• felizlady
    4 years ago

Don’t block the fireplace with either the chair or the sofa! Put the new tv on a larger console against the wall or mount it on the wall....at eye level.

• Robin
    4 years ago

Since your living room appears oddly shaped with that green wall behind the couch (the one with that tiny shelf), if this were my home I would probably install the TV over the fireplace and MAYBE tip it down a bit toward the viewer, then replace the couch (and perhaps your current club chair) with two to four (depending on your available square footage and chair size) other comfy club chairs. This way you can move the chairs around periodically to different locations and create walkways in this oddly shaped space.