Software
Houzz Logo Print
pkennedy23

Ethanol Fire Place Insert

6 years ago

Hi!
We recently purchased an ethanol insert for our
fire place. We are loving it! My dilemma is how
to decorate it?
My thoughts are to paint the inside of the fire
place black or dark grey?
I would like to do some kind of decorative stone,
but I am not sure which color to pull in. As I
have stone on the outside of the fire place.
I would prefer to keep it simple, understated.
Also, do you think I should have two of the
burners, as it is a double sided fire place.
I also was considering to paint the box itself
black & leave top stainless???
I appreciate any ideas/advice. Ty in advance!

Comments (14)

  • PRO
    6 years ago

    Trying to figure why you kept all the stone with an ethanol fireplace . You could have put the FP under the TV an a nice flat wood wall so much nicer than what you did.It would also allow for you to have amuch bigger TV too whenever you want .This honestly makes no sense to me

  • 6 years ago

    Not a Pro.

    I think if you are going to keep the tv there you need to add a floating console and change the paint color of the walls to a more neutral color that will not clash with the stone on the fireplace.

  • PRO
    6 years ago

    You can stack up the glass charcoal to hide the sides of the unit.

    I removed the mirror that IMO doesn't work over your fireplace. So many different shapes. I adjusted the color of the wall to eliminate the kitchen yellow.



  • 6 years ago

    Love the dark Stain!

  • 6 years ago
    last modified: 6 years ago

    Wow. That's really unkind, Patricia. These people love what they've done (have said as much!), yet you choose to totally diss it? What odd level of satisfaction did you possibly derive from that? I'm really surprised that Houzz allows this sort of rude treatment of participants by "pros" to continue.


    I too like the dark stain in Beverly's mockup. I think that really puts the emphasis on the fireplace, which is probably what you want.

  • 6 years ago

    Ty Beverly for taking the time to give me your
    advice. I love the dark stain! I do not know where I would stop the paint, as it is all one
    room? There is also the same niche on the
    other side of the fire place as well.

    I totally agree with getting rid of the mirror
    as well. I am not sure about the black
    stones...I am thinking too dark. Would you
    have any other suggestions?

    I am attaching the whole wall for question
    regarding paint.. apologize for not doing
    the first time.

    Again, I so appreciate your time. Ty!?

  • PRO
    6 years ago

    I often tell my clients when they have a bad idea that is what I get paid for and if the OP loves this that is great but I don’t have to.

  • PRO
    6 years ago

    As a pro I answer as if it was my client and IMO when you post a dilemma here you get lots of different ideas . If all they want is approval for what they did why post at all. I stick by my comment this could have been much better.

  • 6 years ago
    last modified: 6 years ago

    "I often tell my clients when they have a bad idea that is what I get paid for "

    Expressing what you feel is a bad idea is different than criticizing something that is already done, and what the homeowner is happy with.

    No, you don't have to love it. You don't have to comment, either, if you are just going to critique and not add anything useful.

    OP- The dark stain and different paint color look awesome! Are you open to painting the whole room?

  • 6 years ago

    Not a Pro.

    @ Susi Kennedy

    Looks like you have an open floor plan.

    Hopefully, someone will come on and answer your question regarding paint color.


  • 6 years ago

    following

  • PRO
    6 years ago

    Leave the wood color, but change the wall paint color. The one I suggested is neutral enough for your first floor unless there is a location to properly stop the color. But that yellow paint color is just not right with a home that is obviously contemporary based on the details we have seen thus far.

    Here are rooms with stone fireplaces. All the colors are earth tones, not pastels.

  • PRO
    6 years ago

    Here is an idea



    Use two burners and paint the burners and inside of the fireplace black using Stove Bright paint



    Remove the glass doors and use a Custom Frame Curtain Screen with a Mesh Panel at the bottom to hide the burners. The above picture is the only one I had that shows a mesh panel at the bottom, but this can be made in any style or finish and the mesh panel can be made to any dimension we want.


    You can also add some andirons in front of the screen to finish off the look.


    If you can post a picture where the fireplace opening is very square, I can show you how it will look with a screen that is more suitable. You can easily pop those doors off for that picture.


    Read more instructions here: Free Fireplace Design Service