Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
alison_calloway30

Converted garage / Bedroom help!

Alison Calloway
4 years ago

Desperately in need of design help for our bedroom! It’s a converted garage and it’s dark, tight, and low-ceilinged. I can’t think what I want to do, and I’m usually a great designer. Any advice/ ideas appreciated! I am willing to paint, move art around, whatever.

issues: we have a king bed that doesn’t really fit anywhere else in the space, so none of the furniture is really movable

We have terrible lighting and, by necessity, a big light fixture in the middle of the room that makes the ceilings look even lower

Comments (15)

• Alison Calloway
    Original Author
    4 years ago

I forgot to mention my other issue, which is that we have 3 dogs with muddy feet and occasional tummy issues, so light bedding or rugs are out of the question. :( but you’re right about the business. Normally I like that, but it’s not working here.

• decoenthusiaste
    4 years ago
    last modified: 4 years ago

There is too much of everything here! Almost every inch of wall is covered with something and much of it doesn't relate. The eye can find no place to rest and focus. In a bedroom, the bed is usually the focal point. What other furniture can be eliminated from the space? If you must keep it all, can you find a way to separate it from the bed and avoid lining everything up against the wall? Paint, lighting and minimal decor items will change the closed feeling. www.ruggable.com has washable rugs designed for pets and kids. Check them out. Consider a custom duvet made of Sunbrella outdoor fabric. It is much more durable for your situation, and is used for many interior applications. I love your wall color, but you may want to lighten it a few shades. You could also keep the bed wall in that color and paint the others white. Pick your one favorite large poster to hang above the bed. Hang a related one on the large wall at the foot of the bed. Can you stand at the door by the dresser and take a pic of the bed and that wall?

• ilikefriday
    4 years ago

I really like some of your items. I would suggest the following:

1. Use under the bed storage for items in the nightstand

2. Replace the nightstand with a wall sconce used as a small bedside table

3. Replace the dresser with one that is tall and narrow instead of short and wide.

4. Purchase a new rug and a coordinating runner for the step stool, can you put a runner on a step stool???? I am not sure.

5. Purchase a lively blanket that coordinates wtih your rug.

4. Paint

5. Rearrange your art so that the space feels more cohesive.

• njmomma
    4 years ago

following

• katinparadise
    4 years ago

following as well

• MarleneM
    4 years ago

I think the idea to replace the dresser with a taller one is good. I would then use your mirrors behind the nightstands, giving the room a Moroccan vibe. I agree with a bit too much wall decor, although from what I can see the wall at end of bed looks pretty good, but the other walls are too much/over decorated.

https://www.houzz.com/hznb/photos/liberty-hill-victorian-eclectic-bedroom-san-francisco-phvw-vp~143079645

• live_wire_oak
    4 years ago

Is there a legal egress window here?

• partim
    4 years ago

The mirrored sliding doors make the room busier by reflecting the wall art twice. I'd repaint the room a much lighter color and paint the mirror glass too.

For bedding, choose something in a medium color with an overall pattern, similar in color to your rug. The high contrast dark/pink doesn't work in the small space.

If you can't replace your dresser with a taller one right now, consider adding bun feet to it to give it a lighter feel, and painting it a cream color. If you can remove the night stand and use the dresser for your night table needs, you could center the dresser on the wall which would give it a much lighter look. I'd replace the mirrors above the dresser with a piece of wall art with some perspective, to draw the eye back, like this. Remove most of the other wall art.

• tatts
    4 years ago

Good god...declutter.

Get rid of every mass-produced décor-store item, every garage-sale find, and every lamp cord wound around the headboard (Yikes!!!).

Paint it a very light color. The high contrast between the walls and the ceiling simply highlight the lowness of the ceiling. Make them blend better.

That room is oppressive in its clutterness.

• PRO
    Beth H. :
    4 years ago

first thing I'd do is take everything off the walls and everything out of that room. (yeah, I know)

Purge. lose the huge dresser.

that thing w/those huge mirrors takes up valuable space. you could do a floor to ceiling type of armoire and get triple the storage.

lose the large night stands too. all you'll do is pack it with stuff.

look into organization hacks for small bedrooms. give everything double duty.

use a large unit like this, w/drawers/doors in place of your large dresser.

paint the walls white. do a blue ceilling if you want, but white walls.

here's a proper way to do boho color/prints

try bringing in the small string lights for the walls for extra light

closet door? just do something like these

• PRO
    JAN MOYER
    4 years ago

I can't say . Boho to me is a form of "clutter" in pattern clash,, color, art. Clutter makes me insane. : ) I'm uncool in the boho regard. This is as much Anthropologie as I can take. But at least you could close your eyes.........

• PRO
    Patricia Colwell Consulting
    4 years ago

So I have no idea how you would get a restful sleep in that space. Take everything out except the bed then look at the space , of course it is dark there is not one light piece in the space including the wall color . Get some proper lighting for sure.I hate boho it is IMO a bunch of stuff thrown together with no purpose so learn less is more it is a really great idea.

• partim
    4 years ago

If the white door is an exterior door, consider replacing it with a door that has a window. It could even open for ventilation, or do a fixed full lite for the maximum light. We did that in our windowless laundry room and it made a big difference. If privacy is a concern you can use window film on all or part of the glass, and still get the light. Put a curtain rod above the door and stack the curtain on the left side when you don't need room darkening.

Is your ceiling the usual 8 feet or is it a bit lower?

• chiflipper
    4 years ago

Tummy issues in dogs are almost always the result of; overfeeding (try two small meals) and/or "treats" (people food or just too many doggy goodies). Yes, I know it's extremely difficult to deny them. You might try giving them 1 -2 pieces of their usual dry kibble as a treat.