Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
jeanjeanremodelmachine

DIY kitchen runner?

Mittens Cat
4 years ago

I've been shopping for kitchen runners that offer some cushioning (just not too much), look good (but aren't too pricey, especially for a 4'x9' space) and work for our chemically-sensitive, eco-minded family (no PVC, no flame retardants, etc.).

After looking at cork rugs, which are quite pricey and might not hold up well to kitchen traffic, maybe it makes more sense to make my own underlayment out of ¼" cork or natural rubber grippers, or even both (one atop the other), then plop a thin runner on top? Or maybe just an oversized Gorilla Mat (easy to wipe, cushy, grips floor, and perfect for spontaneous aerobics, lol)?

Any thoughts, Houzz hive? I actually like our current placeholder (an IKEA runner), but it's too small for our needs. Thanks!

Comments (18)

• K R
    4 years ago

Frontgate has those super comfortable ones. If you don’t like the way they look you can always put a Ruggable on top.

Mittens Cat thanked K R
  • jmm1837
    4 years ago

make sure whatever you decide on is made of a material that won't damage your floors. I think I'd be cautious about anything with rubber in it.

Mittens Cat thanked jmm1837
  • Mittens Cat
    Original Author
    4 years ago

@jmm1837, thanks for that warning! I'd forgotten that!

• Mary Elizabeth
    4 years ago

These look interesting:

http://choicemats.com/

I can't find if they come in different sizes though.

Mittens Cat thanked Mary Elizabeth
  • Sammy
    4 years ago

I LOVE the color choices from Flor!

Mittens Cat thanked Sammy
  • Mittens Cat
    Original Author
    4 years ago

@thinkdesignlive, thanks! I spent a good amount of time on Flor's site yesterday, which brought back memories of studying their little print brochure 15 or so years ago! I love how eco-conscious this company is, but the prices are a little steep for us at this point. I'm seriously considering binding a couple old yoga mats together and adding some foot-friendly, washable material on top! :)

• Mittens Cat
    Original Author
    4 years ago

Thanks @Mary Elizabeth. My DH would love those, but due to a chronic issue, I can't handle too much cushion under my feet. Call me Goldilocks! :)

• justcallmepool
    4 years ago

If you like the current rug and it's still available, maybe you could stitch multiples together for a size that works better. May have to do it by hand with an upholstery needle or something. Lay that over a custom cut yoga mat for cushion.

Mittens Cat thanked justcallmepool
  • Mary Elizabeth
    4 years ago

Mittens Cat, I understand the "too much cushion" problem, as I have the same thing.

I may look at the Choice Mats closer to see if they are "less" cushy than what has been on the market for about 10 years now. I'm pretty sure the older ones are a memory foam.

Mittens Cat thanked Mary Elizabeth
  • Caroline
    4 years ago

I love our cotton runner from Hook and Loom. It’s plenty cushy with a thin rug pad under it.

https://hookandloom.com/browse/eco-cotton-rugs/

Mittens Cat thanked Caroline
  • lizziesma
    4 years ago

Check out Dash and Albert rugs.

Mittens Cat thanked lizziesma
  • felizlady
    4 years ago

If you place one material over cork or any other material, you are adding thickness which could cause someone to trip over the edge.
    I have two inexpensive Persian-style runners from Costco in my kitchen, with nothing under them. No slippage and not too thick.

Mittens Cat thanked felizlady
  • lindahambleton
    4 years ago

I like Hook and Loom.

Mittens Cat thanked lindahambleton
  • thinkdesignlive
    4 years ago
    last modified: 4 years ago

I probably sound like I work for Flor - but I don't :) seriously, if you like the product just stalk the site. They have sale product and 30% off at least 2 times a year. Ive seen good stuff as slow as $9 a tile. You would need 10 tiles (2 tiles x 5 tiles) to get a 8'x3' (approx) rug = $90. Not rock bottom but so reasonable for an eco / long term option. And I think they are the perfect thickness in the kitchen - definitely not a trip hazard. Persistence and patience pays off.

Mittens Cat thanked thinkdesignlive
  • Mittens Cat
    Original Author
    4 years ago

Thanks all--great ideas! @thinkdesignlive, see there go my poor math skills again. I did not think of it that way (10 tiles only!). :)

• mnmamax3
    4 years ago

I second Albert and Dash rugs though the FLOR tiles sound like a great option for you. We have a great cotton one in our kitchen 2-6" x 9'. NOT cushy (I bought a rug pad for under it) but holds up well, was reasonably priced and is all cotton.

https://www.wayfair.com/rugs/pdp/dash-and-albert-rugs-marled-area-rug-dax3647.html?piid=16308248

• raee_gw zone 5b-6a Ohio
    4 years ago

If you really just need minimal cushioning, perhaps you could make a runner out of the base of your choice topped with real linoleum. Seems to me that linoleum "rugs" were a DIY thing a few years ago.

Mittens Cat thanked raee_gw zone 5b-6a Ohio