FOR PROS
Business tools custom-built for our industry

Say 'so long' to generic business software. Houzz Pro is designed for industry professionals like you.

cercis47

Help Me Find One

cercis47

We just lost our precious premie granddaughter, May. I would like to give a plant to the parents with the name May in it. I would love to find a rose but have done a search and find nothing. Do any of my gardening cohorts have any suggestions? I confess I am too distraught to spend hours on further search. Thank you.

• sara_ann-z6bok

I am so sorry for the loss of your precious granddaughter and so sorry for the parents’ loss, so very sad for you all. May you all be comforted at this time. I do hope you get some good suggestions.

cercis47 thanked sara_ann-z6bok
  • arlene_82 (zone 6 OH)

I'm so sorry for your loss. When you feel up to it, I suggest going to the helpmefind website and doing a search for "May" for both roses and peonies. Everything with a name that contains the word "May" in it should come up. I was also just talking about the rose, Mayflower, in a different thread that I would recommend.

cercis47 thanked arlene_82 (zone 6 OH)
  • Lilyfinch z9a Murrieta Ca

I’m so sorry for your families loss as well. I hope the Lord sends comfort to you all .

cercis47 thanked Lilyfinch z9a Murrieta Ca
  • peren.all Zone 5a Ontario Canada

My heart goes out to you and your family.

I could not find a Peony or a Rose with the name May.

There is a Rose called My Girl

If suitable there is Hosta 'May' that could be a remembrance for her. I am so sorry for your loss.

cercis47 thanked peren.all Zone 5a Ontario Canada
  • Sam CO z5

I don’t know if any with May, but I just ordered a daylily called “sweet child of mine” that looks really beautiful. Sorry for your family’s loss of May.

cercis47 thanked Sam CO z5
  • Kristine LeGault 8a pnw

I am so sorry. Can there be any worse loss than that of a child,

I don't know if they are rose people but perhaps Memorial day or Love or a Peace rose?

Heartfelt prayers for your families

cercis47 thanked Kristine LeGault 8a pnw
  • sunnyborders

Deepest sympathies, Cercis.

cercis47 thanked sunnyborders
  • oursteelers 8B PNW

I was so sorry to read this. I cannot imagine your sorrow but am sending sincere and heartfelt prayers for your family’s peace.

cercis47 thanked oursteelers 8B PNW
  • jjpeace (zone 5b Canada)

I am deeply sorry Cercis. Your granddaughter is somewhere in heaven helping angels tending the most heavenly rose garden. I don't know any rose with that name but when I clicked on https://www.helpmefind.com/roses/ and search for may, there is a whole list of roses. I don't think the majority are easily found though.

cercis47 thanked jjpeace (zone 5b Canada)

Not a rose or a peony but there is both a Japanese maple and a rhododendron cultivar with the name 'Mayday' (or 'May Day'), a clematis called 'May Queen' and one called 'Mayleen'. And lily of the valley are also known as "May bells" or "May blossoms" and podophyllum as "May apples". And hawthorns (Crataegus species) go by a number of common names with May in them - May flower mayhaw, May thorn.

And Maypop is the common name for Passiflora incarnata.

HTH

cercis47 thanked gardengal48 (PNW Z8/9)
  • mxk3

I am so sorry to hear of loss...

cercis47 thanked mxk3
  • Dave6aMO

I’m so very sorry about the loss of your granddaughter, Cercis. A plant to gift to remember her by is very thoughtful. The one that comes to mind is David Austin‘s “The Mayflower”. It could be thought of as May’s flower.

cercis47 thanked Dave6aMO
  • Sheila z8a Rogue Valley OR

So terribly sorry. What zone are May's parent's in? What State? A healthy happy rose for the area they live would be the best gift.

cercis47 thanked Sheila z8a Rogue Valley OR
  • Perma n’ Posies/9A FL

Adding my sympathies for you and your family, Cercis. You have some great suggestions here. Please let us know what you decide. Thoughts and prayers for you. :-)

cercis47 thanked Perma n’ Posies/9A FL
  • cyn427 NoVaZone7

What a heartbreaking loss for you and her parents. I cannot imagine the sadness and pain of losing a child.

There is a Rose of May narcissus, the mayflower (Epigaea regens-trailing arbutus) and the cabbage rose is also called Rose of May (Rosa x centifolia).

cercis47 thanked cyn427 NoVaZone7
  • K S 8b Seattle

Sincere condolences for you loss, Cercis. I don't have a strong suggestion -- there are a couple of roses with "Guardian Angel" in their names, which might be somewhat consoling. I think any beautiful rose planted in a loved one's honor can be special.

cercis47 thanked K S 8b Seattle
  • Vaporvac Z6-OhioRiverValley

I have no further suggestions but just wanted to say how sorry I am to read this news. Thinking of you tonight.

cercis47 thanked Vaporvac Z6-OhioRiverValley
  • cercis47

Thank you so much for all your kind thoughts and suggestions. The helpmefind website led me to Sweet May, a peony that I think I will be able to get from A & D Peonies in Snohomish, which is near us. We won’t plant til fall to give it a good chance and give the parents a good distance from their acute grief now.

• Gabi (Montréal Zone 4/5)

My deepest condolences Cercis, to you and your family.

We used to have a rose in France that we called Pompon de Mai. I think its official name was Rose de Meaux. It would only florish one time in May but it was quite the spectacle.

cercis47 thanked Gabi (Montréal Zone 4/5)
  • cercis47

No luck with Sweet May but am able to find My Love. It will be perfect.

• KarenPA_6b

Cercis47, I am so sorry for your loss. I hope that you will find a plant to honor the memory of your granddaughter. If you are not partial on rose or peony, you can get a unique unregistered daylily seedlings and register it under the name of your granddaughter. I grow so many daylily seedlings that I am happy to give you a good seedling for you to do just that. If you are interested, send me a message. There is no cost to you - just the cost of registration with the AHS which is about $20. I have a video of some of my seedlings here on Youtube. You can check it out. Though a few of the seedlings in video are already spoken for, there are still many that are not. Not sure what your favorite color is for your granddaughter, here is a sample of a nice seedling.

Here is link to my youtube video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WPw33UpBs2k

cercis47 thanked KarenPA_6b
  • tigereye

I'm so sorry. I really don't know what to say. The rose you found looks perfect, it is so pretty, and the day lily idea is so nice. One of the members on a garden site I am on, is doing an entire memory garden bed. You might can use several of the ideas given here.

cercis47 thanked tigereye
  • cercis47

KarenPA, what a lovely video. Tigereye, I do like the idea of a small memorial garden and a peony and daylily would be easy upkeep for them as non gardeners. KarenPA, I am going to order the My Love peony which looks like a soft blush. The only site they have available is in full sun and warm in summer as there is reflected heat from the house. Which of your daylilies would you suggest as a compliment to the peony but would not bleach out in the full sun? We are Probably a Zone 8 in Seattle.

Thank you so much.

• cercis47

Am thinking of Dianthus plumarus Rose de Mai as well.......

• KarenPA_6b

cercis47, I did not realize you live in WA. I cannot send plants to WA without a phytosanitary certificate. It's very difficult to get approval for WA and CA shipping. I am sorry. May I suggest another peony with the name May in lit? It is May Lilac. It is sold at Adelman Peony. I grow it and love its beautiful blooms and color.

But if you live in states other than CA, WA, AZ, TX, I would suggest the daylilies in the video that have the best substance are the white one at the 43 seconds mark and the polychrome at 4:05 time mark. The white one with the ruffles just loves heat and sun and does best in very hot weather.

• summersrhythm_z6a

There is a rose rambler called May Queen. Beautiful indeed. I have been looking for it for years.

• tigereye

Oh wow! I thought the peony was a rose! How pretty.

• Linda G (zone 5b)

Adding my sympathies for you and your family, There is a named daylily called "May May" that would look good with the peony that you decided on.