Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
austinou88

How could I make my dorm room look better?

Austin
4 years ago
last modified: 4 years ago

I'm a guy, live in a dorm with a roomate, and my side of the room is just so empty. What are some things I could add to make my side of the room look better? I'm open to anything.

Comments (70)

• Austin
    Original Author
    4 years ago

For above the headboard, do you think this would look good?

It also comes in different colors.

Or would something like this be better? (also, I just changed around the placement of the bed)

• rocoad123
    4 years ago

Either of those will work. I would also consider using your own photos to get a collage poster made. Artwork is a personal choice. You should put up what you like best!

Austin thanked rocoad123
  • soyu1962
    4 years ago

The size of the cosmo picture is about right. If you introduce another above the headboard, you want to compliment the colors of that since they are so close together. The planet picture will keep things in the same theme, and I like the blue (if that's your favorite color), or something even brighter but in the similar color group of the cosmo picture. I strongly suggest you use a large picture board or message board above the headboard (you can find ideas or products online, or better, make your own). You can tuck your pictures, pin messages/schedules on it; it's functional but sterile.

Austin thanked soyu1962
  • who? me?
    4 years ago

Gotta agree with rocoad123, art's very personal. You do you.

It's also not permanent. If you like something now but get tired of it later, you can always change it.

One place I will weigh in, big props for choosing a flag that's U.S. made with sewn and embroidered details. That's quality you can fly proudly for many years to come.

Austin thanked who? me?
  • rocoad123
    4 years ago

Walgreens has 50% off all photo products right now. I like the idea of a large bulletin board!

Austin thanked rocoad123
  • barb13l
    4 years ago

Austin I very much liked "The magic of the internet" poster. Think of it as an explosion of the mind, learning , thinking. Fits a dorm room.

Austin thanked barb13l
  • l pinkmountain
    4 years ago

When I was back in college, I splurged on high quality, colorful sheets. Nothing beats nice thick cotton percale sheets for comfort. White is great but colors are easier to wash and not look yellowed. Once you get the artwork up, maybe sheets that match one of the colors in the art. Also incandescent lighting can make such a difference in the "feel" of a dorm room. Those florescent overhead lights should not be used unless you need to blast yourself awake in the morning. You would not believe what a difference soft lighting can make to your mood. Those were two of my best investments in dorm life. That and I should have gotten a really nice area rug. One made of high quality materials, natural if possible like cotton or wool. I finally got one late in the game. The cheap ones are colorful but worthless. Sometimes you can get good deals on a carpet remnant. That's how I finally got a nice rug for my first apartment.

Austin thanked l pinkmountain
  • Austin
    Original Author
    4 years ago

So I changed the position of where the bed was, and put it against the window. Do you think this looks better, or should I put it back to how I had it before?

Also, I was wondering if this white blanket looked better than the blueish one I had before? I also bought a lamp, and plant to put on the headboard. Is this the best spot to place them on it at?

• rocoad123
    4 years ago

I definitely like the white better than the previous blue. It looks fresher and brighter. I do like that blue throw with it, especially with your rug! I don’t like seeing the plugs above the bed. If you hung a tapestry there, you could hide them. Otherwise I would switch it back and get an extension cord for the lamp. If you keep it in this position, I would consider a small nightstand table.

Austin thanked rocoad123
  • Olychick
    4 years ago

It looks really nice - the white with the dark blue looks great. I like the position of the bed - the plugs don't bother me - it's a dorm room! If they bother you, maybe look for some string lights to hang there. They have really fun ones, not all are too girly...these are kind of fun...LED with clear clothespins to hang pics or postcards or whatever....

paper lantern string lights

or if you're science minded: test tube lights

Or even something like one of these - there are many more colors and styles on the website https://www.paperlanternstore.com/starlamps.html:
    Or even one of their large globe paper lanterns would look great in the corner above the head of your bed.

Austin thanked Olychick
  • Austin
    Original Author
    4 years ago

How would you recommend arranging the items on the headboard and armourie?

• Olychick
    4 years ago

I think in a dorm room you have to be a little more utilitarian than decorative for things like that. Your room looks neat and clean and the things you need are at hand. The little plants are a nice touch, as is the fabric box. Look for some decorative things to put on the walls and enjoy your nice room.

Austin thanked Olychick
  • barb13l
    4 years ago

Austin I agree with Olychick. Keep what you need there and keep it neat. Something nice on walls.

• Austin
    Original Author
    4 years ago

So for above the headboard, would a vertical piece of Canvas art be good, or would a bulletin board/message board look better?

• Olychick
    4 years ago

What are the white rectangles? Can they be covered by a piece of art on canvas or do you need to be able to use them?

Austin thanked Olychick
  • Austin
    Original Author
    4 years ago

Its just a Wall and Cable outlet. I never use them, so covering them up wouldn't be any issue.

• Olychick
    4 years ago

I'd be inclined to look for a large painting you like, maybe a frame less one on stretched canvas, which would cover that whole area including the outlets. There are lots of places that sell inexpensive pieces like that (since it's for a dorm room you just have to like it, not look at is as an investment)....Pier one, World Market, Ikea, etc.

I sorted these by "under $100" Inexpensive wall art

It could be anything you'd love to look at every day, but this is the shape I was thinking, if you can get it big enough to center above the headboard and still cover the outlets:

The above one is $99 at World Market

Or a horizontal piece, that you could center, yet still cover the boxes. Or two or three pieces hung horizontally.

Also, when things return to normal, you can look at goodwill and thrift stores for even better deals.

If you need a bulletin board, I'd probably put one on the inside of a cupboard/closet door to minimize the visual clutter.

Austin thanked Olychick
  • Austin
    Original Author
    4 years ago

Here's an updated picture of what the room is looking like currently. (I had to photoshop the map on the wall, since it hasn't arrived in the mail yet).

I like a lot of the pieces they have in this shop on Etsy. Do you think anyone of them in particular might go well, and complement the other colors in the room?

https://www.etsy.com/shop/LDawningScott?ref=simple-shop-header-name&listing_id=260946703&page=1#items

• rocoad123
    4 years ago

Love the lights Austin! I think the map is great. It goes with the colors and the size is perfect.

Austin thanked rocoad123
  • rocoad123
    4 years ago

I just looked back at your first photos. You have come a long way since then. It’s looking really great! The only other thing I would do is something above the head of the bed.

Austin thanked rocoad123
  • Austin
    Original Author
    4 years ago

I really appreciate it! I've received some great suggestions and help from everybody.

I'm still trying to figure out what art to put above the headboard. I know I need something that's in a vertical layout.

I like this piece, but I don't think it would fit in with the other colors. Here's the shop on Etsy that sells it- https://www.etsy.com/shop/LDawningScott?ref=simple-shop-header-name&listing_id=260946703

• Olychick
    4 years ago

Since you have the one large map already, I might look for 2 or 3 smaller pieces (not too small) to hang horizontally above the bed. You could pull the bed away from the wall a bit to make it a little easier to make up and also center it more on the headboard wall.

I would not hang a vertical piece there because of the height of the headboard, the art will have to be hung too high and won't look right. Something horizontal or a horizontal arrangement can be hung closer to the top of the headboard/lower down and will look more a part of your furniture arrangement.

You're doing a great job!

Austin thanked Olychick
  • rocoad123
    4 years ago

I agree. Two or three smaller pieces would look better now that you have the map on the other wall.

Austin thanked rocoad123
  • Olychick
    4 years ago

PS, I would look for a piece or pieces of a size that will put the upper part of the frame fairly even with the upper part of the map when you hang it. And how you've photoshopped it hanging looks wonderful. As do the lights.

Austin thanked Olychick
  • Austin
    Original Author
    4 years ago

Would something like any of these look okay, or should I go for something bigger/ a different color?

• rocoad123
    4 years ago

what are the dimensions?

Austin thanked rocoad123
  • Austin
    Original Author
    4 years ago

Dimensions:
    1.) https://www.etsy.com/listing/453092046/canvas-wall-decor-large-abstract-wall?ref=lp_rv-3
    2.) 24" x 16" x 3 panels or 36" x 24" x 3 panels
    3.) 24" x 16" x 3 panels or 36" x 24" x 3 panels

• Olychick
    4 years ago

the best thing you could do is use some paper and/or tape and do a mock up of the different sizes. I think the one shown over the couch is definitely too big and the last one looks like it's the same too large size. The first come in many different sizes, so I'd experiment with tape/paper to see which works best. But, personally, I think that style is a little incongruent with the map.

Are you sure you think you need something over the headboard? With the large graphic map and the lights, I think you should call it done. It looks terrific as it is.

Austin thanked Olychick
  • rocoad123
    4 years ago

I have an idea! How about sitting the artwork on the shelf rather than hanging it on the wall. I would get something tall enough to cover the outlets and no wider than a third of the shelf. Move the Kleenex to lower shelf where your fan is. Move plant to your windowsill. Now you will have three items on your shelf that are all different sizes and shapes. Put the artwork off center to the left, turn the bin lengthwise and put in center and lamp in the right. What is the distance from the upper shelf to above the outlets?

Austin thanked rocoad123
  • Austin
    Original Author
    4 years ago

I really like that idea Rocoad! The distance from the upper shelf to the top of the outlets is 21.5inches. The width of the headboard is 42inches.

• Austin
    Original Author
    4 years ago

Also, what color nightstand would you recommend getting? I'd like to try and find something that's level with the top of my mattress, which would need to at least 31.5inch in height. If not, I could always buy something to put under the legs to lift it a little bit in height.

- Overstock Nightstands

- Wayfair Nightstands

- Ashley Furniture Nightstands

- Home Depot Nightstands

- Amazon Nightstands

- Ikea Nightstands

• rocoad123
    4 years ago

I would get a natural wood. It’s very versatile If you use it somewhere else later and easier to maintain compared to painted ones because the paint chips off.

• rocoad123
    4 years ago

Also get one with storage!

• Austin
    Original Author
    4 years ago
  • rocoad123
    4 years ago

I would go with cherry or warm cherry. You realize it’s not wood?

• Austin
    Original Author
    4 years ago

Yeah, Natural wood is probably a little out of my budget. Would that one I linked still look nice you think?

• rocoad123
    4 years ago

Check out Wayfair. This one is wood and within your price range for the cherry one.

Ovellette 3 Drawer Nightstand

• Olychick
    4 years ago

Since it will be difficult to match the wood you already have and since there is so much of it already, I think your choice of another color is good. Woods don't always have to match, but adding another wood color in such a small space might not be the best. Black would be fine, so would white or cream, or you could do something unexpected like teal or red or yellow!

• Austin
    Original Author
    4 years ago

The one you linked rocoad looks nice, I'll go ahead and get that. Thanks!

• rocoad123
    4 years ago

Check the size to make sure it will work for you.

• Austin
    Original Author
    4 years ago

I just realized that it might be a little too short in height.

It's 31.5inches from the floor to the top of the mattress on my bed, and you typically want your nightstand to be level with it or a few inches taller right?

Do you think any of these would look good instead?

1. White Albrecht Extra Tall 3 Drawer Nightstand

2. Hayman Tall 3 Drawer Nightstand

3. Everett Espresso 3-drawer Tall Nightstand

4.Prepac Fremont 3 Drawer Nightstand

• rocoad123
    4 years ago

Usually the night stand is lower than the top of your mattress.

• rocoad123
    4 years ago

A couple of inches lower would be fine. Probably not any lower though.

• Austin
    Original Author
    4 years ago

So the nightstand would be 6.5 inches shorter than the top of my mattress. Do you think I should look for some furniture rises to put on the legs of the nightstand, or just not worry about it?

• rocoad123
    4 years ago

I like the first one. Tall enough and solid wood. You could get it in honey or white. Either color would look good. The honey will hold up to bring bumped better. There is no paint to chip off.

• Austin
    Original Author
    4 years ago

Here's a poorly cropped picture I did of what nightstands would kind of look like next to the bed. I just also realized that it's a little wider than the wall it will be against, so about 2-3inches of it will be past the wall and underneath the window. What do you think?

• rocoad123
    4 years ago

That’s fine. It looks good! Have you ordered artwork yet?

• Austin
    Original Author
    4 years ago

Which color would you say is the better option? And not yet, the store on Etsy that sells the map I want to put up is currently closed down due to the Covid-19 issue. Not sure when they will be back up.

• rocoad123
    4 years ago

I think the Honey. The white looks really bright in your mockup. Of course that can be deceiving. The Honey is more versatile for later. However if you really prefer the white, that will work too.