Software
Houzz Logo Print
ashton_kellar

Should I remove a wall separating my foyer and kitchen?

6 years ago


We are about to start my kitchen remodel. we are going to remove the half wall above the bar, lower the bar to an island, and mush the island out to make it less narrow. I don’t know if I should keep this wall separating my foyer and kitchen or create an opening there. It would seem weird to walk into my kitchen without the wall.

Comments (17)

  • 6 years ago

    bump

  • 6 years ago

    I would definitely keep the wall if I lived there.

  • 6 years ago

    Definitely keep it. A transition space when you enter is very important. I have been in houses where you enter directly to a living space, and it is jarring.

  • PRO
    6 years ago
    last modified: 6 years ago

    Draw ALL of this please. the kitchen and the foyer entry with dimensions. AS IT IS. To the inch neatly and to scale. Add more pictures as well.

  • PRO
    6 years ago

    We need a lot more info as to what you are doing in the kitchen and a to scale kitchen floor plan also showing surrounding areas. It looks like a tiny kitchen so really important to post pics of the whole space too.

  • 6 years ago

    If you keep the wall, get a doorstop.

  • 6 years ago

    Dumping visitors like your spouse’s boss immediately among the dirty pots and pans, and cereal boxes, and mixing bowls, and muffin tins, and paper towels, and watering cans, is SO homey. 🙄

  • PRO
    6 years ago

    A plan drawn to scale would be very helpful.

  • 6 years ago

    Leave the wall, we actually added a wall where you already have one in our remodel so we had a designated entry and kitchen isn't right when you walk in.

  • 6 years ago

    I’ll post some more pictures when I get home. After the foyer and kitchen is a small dining space, then the living room, then there’s some picture windows and patio. The ceilings are vaulted.

  • 6 years ago



  • 6 years ago


  • 6 years ago



  • 6 years ago

    We want to lower the bar to counter height, remove the half wall of upper cabinets, and possibly move the lower cabinets out by a couple inches. We are going to texture the ceiling, add can lights, repaint and replace flooring.

    I think we will most likely keep the wall.

  • 6 years ago
    last modified: 6 years ago

    I lived in a open concept condo with a similar floor plan you're proposing but the fridge and stove was swapped and the sink counter extended to the wall with the white door and clock in your picture. The entrance wall was the depth of the fridge, about 3".

    We didn't have any upper cabinets and barely any lower cabinets. Our dishes and glasses were on the counters most of the time because there was no where to put them.

    I would open up the wall and remove the upper cabinets above the sink but keep the bar height wall for separation. It stops things from rolling off the counter, you can set things on the bar counter so it doesn't get wet, and it blocks the mess on the counter from the living area.


    Adding a photo of my condo kitchen layout. The washer/dryer was behind the closet door.



  • PRO
    6 years ago

    You don't need the wall. It is hemming you in. Get a KD on your site, along with a contractor. At the very least get PRO'S on your site and IN the space. Please.

Sponsored
J.Holderby - Renovations
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars4 Reviews
Franklin County's Leading General Contractors - 2X Best of Houzz!