Software
Houzz Logo Print
dshank14

Looking for ideas for master closet renovation. Is this acceptable?

6 years ago

Now that mom has moved out of the family home and it is no longer needed, I have been working on a renovation and I'm almost complete. The house is in a more upscale neighborhood, and I'm planning to list it for sale as soon as it's ready. For context, I think it will sell in the $850k range.


The master closet needs to be redone. It's approximately 9ft deep by 6ft wide. I've been looking at a range of solutions from IKEA to Easy Track closets online to Lowe's closet systems. Yesterday, I toured a new build open house in a very nice neighborhood. The house was ridiculously priced at $1.5 million, and although I liked the look of the master closet, I couldn't help but think it was out of character (not nice enough) for a house in this price range.


I'm curious to know if the general consensus is that this is just too cheap to put into my house, or if it looks good and is passable?



Thanks.

Comments (14)

  • PRO
    6 years ago

    With a 6' wide space, there is room for rods and shelves on one side only. You can double stack rods with pull down style if budget allows. I would not do what is pictured at all. I would put a inexpensive dresser on end for drawers and rods and different heights. Lower rods for slacks and tops, and leave some for longer dresses, etc. But a 9' x 6' closet in a 850k house is not going to be good no matter what. Any chance you can add a reach in close in the master bedroom. I wouldn't spend a lot trying to make that closet much better. People will actually measure hanging linear feet to compare to what they currently have and in this price range, this closet is a big negative.

  • PRO
    6 years ago

    IMO that closet is not going to be a selling point no matter what you do with it so just leave it the new owners can do what they like. I dislike open shelves except for shoes so have dressers in my walk in

  • 6 years ago

    Giving a price is not a good reference - Where I used to live $850 buys you a 3 BR, 2000 sf, 50 year old home or a pretty nice condo. In my current city there are no homes in the city for that price. Outside of the city there were 2 listings for between 8 and 9 - one had 25 acres and the other was 6000 sf.


    Location Location Location


  • 6 years ago
    last modified: 6 years ago

    The closet in the picture is fine. Not awesome, but we’ll organized. You can do yours using Lowe’s closet pieces. Just make sure you don’t use the wire shelving. I dislike those things!

  • 6 years ago

    Most renovations cost more than they bring back when selling.


    You want the home to be spic and span. You want people to see the home and think - this was well maintained.


    The best way to know what you should do, should not do and what to list the house for is by going out and seeing what is on the market in and around your neighborhood. A buyer is going to buy the nicest home available in their budget. To sell your home has to be the nicest home for sale at that price point.


    Value is determined at a $/SF / general condition, not how great the closet looks or what color granite you put in the kitchen.


    The biggest mistake people make is over pricing their homes. If you over price the house sits on the market, gets stale, people wonder why it is sitting, they offer less money, you lower the price and keep lowering until it finally sells and that is usually significantly less than it would have sold for if you priced it right when you listed it.


    One of the other money losing mistakes is to do a lot of renovations to sell. You invest $30 k and get $15 k more for the house than you would have before spending the $30k - you just gifted the new home owners $15k that you could have spent for your new home.



  • 6 years ago

    What does the closet look like now? I agree with the others that said let the new owners remodel the closet to suit their tastes. I new closet system that isn't suitable to their needs is worse than an old system they wouldn't feel bad about tearing out.

  • 6 years ago

    Is the current system falling apart?


    Ask your agent about local preferences. In my area, buyers wouldn't care at all about the arrangement of shelves in a walk in closet. They'd plan to redo it to fit their needs. What they want is clean, well lit and freshly painted. I'd be tempted to put in a single rod across the back with a shelf above it just to show that it's a spacious closet. A stager might add a decorative box on the shelf or whatever is typical in your area.

  • 6 years ago

    Thanks everyone. I'll add a picture of the current closet later today..

  • 6 years ago

    Here are some images of the closet. It's pretty tight in there, so it's hard to get a full shot, but I think you can see what's going on. Both sides have shallow depth shelves with several hanger bars, and plenty of shelves. Pardon the dust.


    Also note that on the other side of the left wall is a 10-foot side reach in closet with drawers, shelves, and a double height hanger.






  • 6 years ago

    First time I read, I thought you said mom was no longer needed.

  • PRO
    6 years ago

    What you have is fine- neutral and serviceable. Make sure it’s clean and you are good to go.

  • 6 years ago

    Agree with the consensus above.

    In our market here, the best ROI is to deep clean, organize, make repairs as needed and fresh paint. Pay attention to the curb appeal especially landscaping and front door area. Don't change the closet from what you have now. The buyer will do that with their own preferences after closing. Good luck in your sale. Speak to your Realtor to see if your local market is similar in it's requirements.

  • 6 years ago
    last modified: 6 years ago

    I'm in the process of a house search right now. I would say that what you already have is fine once it's cleaned up with new paint and flooring. The fact that everything is adjustable makes it easy for a new buyer to set up the closet to suit their needs.

Sponsored
Whisler Home Improvement
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars9 Reviews
Franklin County's Committed Home Improvement Professionals