Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
cawaps_gw

Weigh in on my kitchen plans

cawaps
4 years ago

It may be misguided to plow ahead with my kitchen remodel in the midst of the current disruption, but somebody has to prop up the economy.

I've been thinking about remodeling my kitchen forever. Last year I was on the Kitchen Forum getting ideas. That thread, HERE, has pics, the existing layout, and an explanation of my current kitchen. What I've realized is that there are lots of things I like about my current kitchen. My problems with it are that I don't have a sink in the same room with the fridge and range, I have no range hood, I have no dishwasher, the shelf storage in the main kitchen is visually chaotic (there is no built-in cabinetry in the room with the fridge and range), and the 100-year-old cabinets in the scullery are hard to open and close and drop sawdust in my baking pans. That is to say, my current kitchen falls way short of what modern homeowners expect. But I love my windows, the light, my 12 feet of uninterrupted counters, my wall color, and my art.

I now have a contractor and a layout and cabinet design that I am happy with on first blush. I wanted to run it by you guys, in case you spot problems that I have missed.

I am planning to reduce the size of the windows (sill is currently at 21 inches). But I will probably keep the sill near counter height, not as small as this.

There will be no actual door in the left-hand doorway that goes to the scullery. The doorway on the right currently does not have a door, and I probably will leave it that way. It goes to a hallway that leads to a bathroom and the dining room.

The scullery window is currently off-center as shown (there's an upper cab on the left now that I don't think I want to replace. I haven't talked to my contractor yet about the cost of changing out and centering the window. But I'll probably do that, since this looks wonky.

Oh, and the counter below the window will be lower than normal to line up with a pass-through to the dining room and to function as a baking center.

Comments (9)

• robo (z6a)
    4 years ago

Is that a gas range? I think it’s dangerously close to the doorway If so.

https://www.mainlinekitchendesign.com/general/is-your-kitchen-designer-going-to-kill-you/

cawaps thanked robo (z6a)
  • Fun2BHere
    4 years ago

I think that upper cabinet door by the refrigerator opens the wrong way. It seems like it would hit the refrigerator.

cawaps thanked Fun2BHere
  • cawaps
    Original Author
    4 years ago

It's exactly that close to the doorway now, except without a cabinet there, so it's a problem that it's a bit hard for me to get het up about. It will be about 13 inches from the edge of the range to the door opening (the door trim is wider than shown). The cabinet shop originally had the drawer base and spice cab flanking the range reversed but I wasn't happy having the range (and hood) off center between the window and door. I use the door infrequently, although some future owner could have kids running into the backyard more often.

• maddielee
    4 years ago

It may be very risky to start a demolition and remodel right now. There’s a good chance that the material supply chain will be interrupted as factories shut down and nonessential shipping is slowed or stopped. Good luck.

cawaps thanked maddielee
  • hcbm
    4 years ago

In NY starting Monday everything is shut down including renovations. As long as you have running running water and a working toilet no work can occur. This virus is not going to spare any location it is a rolling disaster. I would wait a few months before starting work. Sorry just my opinion.

On the other hand I think the fridge should open the other way so you have a landing spot.

cawaps thanked hcbm
  • cawaps
    Original Author
    4 years ago

Our fridge that we are keeping does open the other way. It would be dumb to have it open the way shown in the image.

Regarding the upper cabinet swing that Fun2B mentioned, I had the same thought, but I have in mind to use it for dishes, and I think reversing the door swing would be awkward relative to the dishwasher.

I'm definitely a bit concerned about both supply chain issues and restrictions on activity that could impact work. But maybe I'm just a glass-full kinda gal (not really), but I think that they will sort out what kinds of economic activity can continue. I hope so, because otherwise we are headed into a disastrous recession. Think of all the jobs my kitchen remodel will support.

The kitchen remodel can be completely separated from the rest of the house if necessary for 98% of the work (the flooring in the hallway needs to be replaced, and that's the only way to the bathroom). Otherwise, the crew can use the back door and I can re-install the door between the kitchen and hallway for the duration. If they keep crews to a minimum, I think the risk is minimal. But who the heck knows.

• Fun2BHere
    4 years ago
    last modified: 4 years ago

Good luck, @cawaps, it's hard to know what to postpone in this rapidly changing environment. I think having the door open the way you and I think it should won't be difficult when loading in from the dishwasher because the door will be able to open more than 90 degrees. There's a cabinet door that opens between my dish washer and the the shelf for the dishes and it causes me no problems.

• gardener123
    4 years ago
    last modified: 4 years ago

One of the very favorite things I did is an under sink trash pullout. I stole it from here, and you'll get lots of hits from a GW search.

ETA I also would use these push latches over the fridge instead of knobs, so it doesn't look so wonky. I'm assuming those cabinets are deep and extend over the fridge?

ETAA I really hate to comment again because I didn't see your other thread, and have no idea what your dimensions are, but can't help but wonder if the sink and DW can go on the stove wall, and put the range on the sink wall with the fridge at the right end of that run...with the trash pullout under the sink.

ETAAA....ok, I just read the other thread. Never mind. And this I why I don't typically comment on layout. But I stand by the pullout under the sink, and the latches ;)

Sponsored
Kitchen Kraft
Average rating: 4.8 out of 5 stars39 Reviews
Ohio's Kitchen Design Showroom |11x Best of Houzz 2014 - 2022