Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
elizabeth_wong

busy kitchen floor - countertop/backsplash?

Elizabeth Wong
4 years ago

Hi all,

I have a busy granite floor that runs from my front door entrance all the way to the kitchen (see photo below). Planning to reno the entire kitchen but not the floor, using white shaker cabinets (haven’t decided on the paint colour yet). Layout will not change, just extending the length of the island countertop. Couple of questions:

• we are planning to do the perimeter countertop, island and backsplash in the same quartz. Is that too much? We want an easy to clean backsplash with no tile.

• originally we wanted to use a Chinese Calcatta quartz with very distinct big veins, but it may be too busy with the granite floors?

• then we looked at Caesarstone London grey. Is it a better choice?

Any advice is much appreciated!!! Thanks in advance.

Comments (65)

• Elizabeth Wong
    Original Author
    4 years ago

We use the kitchen a lot. To be honest the cabinets are really in bad condition (you won’t see the broken places and white tape we used for cover up from the photo). But we really like the white kitchen look.

• jck910
    4 years ago

IMO you are wasting your money doing a reno and keeping that floor. You obviously don't have enough storage so again wasting your money by not addressing that problem. You need a certified kitchen designer or you'll be renovating again. Your counter choices are too modern for the home

• User
    4 years ago

How are you going to patch the flooring when you remove the wall?

• Fori
    4 years ago

JCK, why do you think there's not enough storage? There's tons! The expanded island will add more.

A solid color counter will be your best bet, as everyone says. I'd be tempted to use the counter material behind the stove (for easy cleaning) and a subtle tile elsewhere.

• btydrvn
    4 years ago

I like the Chinese quartz...it is just the thing to give the kitchen a whole new updated look...i don’t think the floors as busy ..they read more as a solid color in the photos

• Elizabeth Wong
    Original Author
    4 years ago

Idecor54: the family room has wood flooring so we will add a wood piece to cover up where the wall was for transitioning into the kitchen.

Fori: I think JCK was referring to how messy my kitchen is. Which is true... lol

Btydrvn: in the photo it might look like a solid colour, but unfortunately it isn’t up close.

• sprtphntc7a
    4 years ago
    last modified: 4 years ago

jmo, if you do everything you are planning to do with the kitchen and do not replace the floor, i think you will have re-modelers regret. why, because the floor is dated. its at least from the 90's and everything new will certainly reflect it even more.

save more money and do the floor as well. also as pointed out above, when gutting the kitchen, you never know what you will run into and the floor might have to replaced/patched to accomodate the new kitchen. do u have extra floor tile from the original install for that happenstance??

if u decide to keep floor, pick a color out of the floor and go with that for the counter. Use a solid counter and b/s. what u picked is not the same style as the floor. that floor will dictate all your decisions, and not in a good way....

• PRO
    Beth H. :
    4 years ago

that floor is granite called Almond Mauve. I used to have it in my kitchen in 1997. I hate it. The guy down the street did all of his flooring using that exact same 12x12 tile. and then he painted his walls a bright lime green! I just, can't......

You're spending the money to update the kitchen. do the floors. Nothing, and I mean Nothing, will look good or the way you want w/those albatross of a floor tile. Bite the bullet now.

As for it being in good shape, of course it is! IT's granite. it's a billion years old. It will always be in good shape.

Take it out. Even if you plan on selling in 10 years, no buyer will want it. You won't want it in 10 years anyway. and guess what? it will still be in great shape! It's extremely busy looking. even the 12x12 tile shape is dated. Nothing you pick will good with it. Why would you want to spend money to update cabs and countertops, and then only work around limited items that don't clash w/that flooring??

trust me. replace your floors. After it's done you'll wonder why you even questioned this.

it doesn't work w/the fireplace. (which could also use a little updating. get rid of the gold and think about doing a less ornate fireplace surround)

find a nice engineered wood flooring and run it through the entire space. It will immediately update everything AND increase the value of your home.

London Gray countertops. Now, aren't these floors a million times better looking??

btw, london gray is a lot more gray.

If you want the larger vein, in no way will it work w/your current flooring. this is a much more modern looking countertop.

looks great w/wood floors, or a solid, larger formant porcelain tile

• Elizabeth Wong
    Original Author
    4 years ago

Thanks Beth H. for the advice. We really have looked into replacing the granite floor before. But this granite flooring extends from the front entrance to the back of the house where the kitchen is, including the laundry room and powder room. Also, my family room, living/dining room, study, have hard wood floors that are VERY challenging to match (we try matching it for our second floor reno from carpet to hardwood with no success). It will look weird with two different hardwood flooring. Plus the kitchen is not the only portion of the house we are doing reno on, making it just not feasible at this moment to replace all of the main floor hardwood.

• Katie B.
    4 years ago

Beth, I hope we can still

be friends after I say this, but I kind of like the floors. I’d go with a flat-front door though, Elizabeth.

what about painting the floors? (And the gold On the fireplace for that matter).

here’s a thread where a poster painted her slate floors black. (She asked about stain but ended up painting). https://www.houzz.com/discussions/3319477/can-you-stain-slate-floors-a-darker-color

Beth, any issues with painting?

ETA- I know you have granite, not slate, and they are much different. This is just an idea.

• PRO
    Beth H. :
    4 years ago

i get that. like i said, it's easier just to replace everything at once.

what is the hardwood in the other part?

how close is that to the kitchen area?

maybe just rip out the kitchen tiles and do a solid porcelain for now? down the road when funds are more avail, you could demo the rest of the downstairs and put in new flooring, but keep the porcelain tile in the kitchen?

Keep it in the laundry room if that's it's own room.

It's up to you. I know how much of a mess a reno is. I know how much mess taking out that floor will be. I'd rather do it now while the kitchen is also being torn out. That's why I said to bite the bullet and do it all at once.

I know it's a lot. I just redid 900 Sq Ft of my own flooring. I kept my large family area which is silver travertine, but the other living/kitchen and one bedroom got French Oak. I'm glad I did it.

is pretty, easy to care for and makes everything look larger. (before I had 5 diff types of flooring for those rooms)

All i'm saying is you are asking advice for your kitchen. And the one thing that's standing in the way is your flooring. Now, if you really love your flooring and want to keep it, then pick white cabs, and a solid countertop in a pale gray. then do a white, soft gray, or charcoal backsplash.

I think the Eternal Serena would be a nice choice w/your floors

this is the matte option (it also comes in polished). I have it in my kitchen and really like it.

Comes in a charcoal too.

or, maybe the Caesarstone Bianco Drift. the pattern would work w/that tile. then you could do a simple backsplash like this white tile. anything else is going to clash w/your floors.

however, doing the other one you like w/the large veining and using it for the backsplash, would not look good w/your flooring.

everyone here is telling you the same thing. the flooring you have should be changed if you want to upgrade the kitchen.

Your floors are driving the bus. So, either continue on w/them at the helm and have everything else tied to it, Or, find a diff mode of transport.

• PRO
    Beth H. :
    4 years ago

Katie,Slate and Granite are two entirely diff stones. you can't paint granite. (well, you could, but it would be disastrous) I know you mean well, but be careful w/some advice offered.

(that slate floor was stained. slate is very porous. granite is not. you can't change the color. I mean, I suppose they could try a primer, and then paint using porch paint, but I think that would look worse)

have you actually seen that tile up close, on floors??? sorry, but it's just, horrible.

MY point was, she asking on advice on getting modern looking quartz countertops w/brand new shaker style kitchen cabs. Not a cheap date either. Putting all of that on top of 30 year old 12x12 granite (and the cheapest granite available, i might add) tile floors is foolish. She wants a new upgraded kitchen. All we are saying is it's not a wise move.

But hey, if she likes the floors and is planning on living there, then so be it. But she did ask for advice.

• Katie B.
    4 years ago

Lol. I hope I don’t do that too much- I try to stay in my wheel house.

The choices she posted about don’t go with the current floors, but if she can’t rip them out, maybe a coating would work in the interim. Seems like you could rough them up, use an adhesion primer and paint. I’m glad I asked you though. I’d just hate for her to put money into a remodel centered around floors she‘ll be changing at some point.

I didn’t mean paint literally, but a coating “painted“ on. Don’t they do that with granite counters?

• tedbixby
    4 years ago

Beth- since I haven't seen this tile in person how would a black countertop look with it?

• Katie B.
    4 years ago

Like an above poster said, the floor reads modern. Here’s a modern kitchen where the floors work. Obviously the finishes are much different than your kitchen or what you hope to do, but it might serve as inspiration.

Edited to add:

here’s another MCM

And finally, this one has a speckled floor...this is probably closest to what you want..

• Katie B.
    4 years ago

Better resolution

And another.

Not your floor but shows what Can be done with a busy floor. I’m inspired for you, that you can make the floor work.

• PRO
    Beth H. :
    4 years ago

Ted, a black, charcoal, light gray or white counter would all work. the tile has a distinct pink/mauve tone to it. so any of the grays/black/whites/pinks/taupes silver, etc, would all go with it.

Katie, people don't walk on granite countertops. how are you going to get anything to adhere properly and then stay on when walking, pets, moving things, etc? It would be a nightmare. even painted wood floors are a nightmare and the paint sticks to wood! A polished granite would be like painting glass. And if you're going to bring someone in to scuff up all of the surface (which would essential ruin the finish if you ever wanted to go back) apply a good primer, then paint, then coat w/a top coat, you might as well just pay to take them out and get something new! wouldn't cost that much more.

• Katie B.
    4 years ago

Ok. A for effort. D for actual knowledge. 🥴

I was thinking more of a DIY project. But I’ll stop now. 😘😘

• Elizabeth Wong
    Original Author
    4 years ago

Thank you everyone for your valuable advice.

Beth, I will seriously discuss changing the floors with my husband and see whether we can make it happen.

Katie, I love your inspiration photos and will consider them shall we not able to make the floor change happen. Good to know that I can possibly make it work!

• PRO
    Beth H. :
    4 years ago

lol, thank you Elizabeth! I promise you, you'll love having new, consistent floors that will go w/your new kitchen. I know it's a lot of money at one time, but floors last a very long time (depending on what you choose). So when you look at like that, dropping 15K to redo them, isn't a lot over a span of 25 years. That's why you want to pick something that will last through decades of decor change. Wood is always in style. A neutral porcelain tile (in a 24x24 size) will also last for decades. A nice black/charcoal slate,,also will last.

let me know if you do get to that point and then we can help you choose something that works w/the new kitchen and your furniture.

• Katie B.
    4 years ago

Not disputing what you’re saying Beth. Definitely change the floors if you can swing it, Elizabeth.

But the floors aren’t THAT bad. I do wonder why anyone in any time period thought they were ever the best decision to put in a house though?!

If you do decide to keep them, that two-tone white and taupe kitchen that I posted with the octagon backsplash and white counter is super cute!!

• PRO
    Beth H. :
    4 years ago

Katie, I wish you could see these exact floors in my neighbors house. He put them throughout. w/lime green walls. omg, it's unbelievable. and he did it in 2013.

• tedbixby
    4 years ago

Beth, it's nice to know that you really like that granite-lol...

• RedRyder
    4 years ago

Elizabeth: as you can see, Beth is an incredible resource for picking floors/counters/backsplashes, etc. I can assure you that this floor will outlive you and the next homeowner that buys your house. It’s made of granite, so Beth’s comment that it will always “look good” is dead on. What it won’t look is updated and spending the money on the kitchen will be defeated by the floor. You may want to have your husband read Beth’s logical argument and inspiration photos.
    And if you guys can’t swing it, Beth will generously help you choose the right combinations. But most of us don’t like your first countertop choices because of the floor. If it were gone and a wood floor, or light , plain porcelain floor was in its place, your countertop choices would be great with whit shaker cabinets.

• PRO
    Beth H. :
    4 years ago

ted,,,lol. i had those exact 12x12 granite squares as my countertop! for about 8 years! in the 90's. That's just as granite began coming out. I acted too soon and got the cheaper tiles. I stared at it, and my matching mauve colored tile floors, along w/the pickled oak cabinets (yeah, I was a trend setter!) for longer than I want to remember.

It's safe to say I no longer care for that granite.

Katie,,the speckled floors in you pics you posted, I really like. they're Terrazzo. much better looking than this granite! trust me. you say they aren't that bad because you haven't actually seen them! you'll have to take my word.

• Linda Thomas
    4 years ago

Spend your money on replacing your floor

• User
    4 years ago

Hi Elizabeth. I live in Italy and have a terazzo floor that is very similar to your granite floor, although it is one solid piece, not big tiles. I agree with comments that maybe you want plain-front modern cabinet doors. Even that it is going to add more strong lines, so for a back splash I would go for something organic, wavy, or circular. In general, maybe if you think Italian or Mediterranean, might be a way to make the most of that granite floor.

I haven't read all the comments, so maybe this has already been suggested and rejected, but I think if it was me I'd go for wood countertops, and if you don't need all the cabinetry above the countertops, I would mix it up with some open shelving, or at least some glass fronted cabinets. If I can find some pictures of kitchens I think might be worth a 1,000 words, I'll put them here.

• User
    4 years ago

This is a nice Italian kitchen -- although it is not wood countertops like I suggested but has wood elsewhere

Contemporary Italian Kitchen · More Info

• User
    4 years ago

I'd intoduce a bit more color into this plus use different light fixtures but...

My house - · More Info

• Margaret D
    4 years ago

Oh, dear! After reading all these comments, the only thought I have is: I need a nice glass of wine right away!!! along with some good grapes, cheese and crackers. Yep! That's my advice!!!

• Karen Miles
    4 years ago

I have the same (but a little lighter) granite on my kitchen countertops (previous owner)! Though I don't love it, I'm not changing it because it would be so wasteful and expensive. If I were you, I'd choose one of the colors from it and do solid countertops. Perhaps putting some solid (and kitchen friendly) rugs on the floor would help, too. I'm thinking something like a sisal or jute, but not too thick (don't want to trip on them, but you could pick them up and shake them out). You're on your way to a lovely new kitchen! Have fun!

• Webado Webada
    4 years ago

Personally I like the floor, the current counter and the backsplash as well. From the photos I assume the backsplash is actually in good condition. For my taste I'd simply replace the cabinet doors (or entire cabinets if they are not in good condition) with flat panels, in a shade of white that goes with the backsplash. You said you want to expand the island - will you be able to get the same granite counter top for it? If not the island's counter top could be a solid color that matches something from the floor or the other counter tops, maybe the same white from the cabinets and backsplash.

Well I am all for saving and/or repurposing what can be, and a good floor remains a good floor. I for one would never have a wood floor in a kitchen. Flat panel cabinets blend well with any other style you may have in the house and I'd be more concerned about the colors that are present and in close proximity. Flat panel cabinet doors are also easier to keep clean as there aren't any nooks and crannies and grooves to catch dust and grime.

• beejay1954
    4 years ago

I’m with Beth. Don’t spend precious reno dollars if you are keeping that granite.
    Another thought is the whole feel of the kitchen. Some like a clean, minimal look with the countertops relatively clear (understand essentials like coffee makers though!) while others say “mine is a working kitchen and I like and need things readily at hand”. I think Elizabeth you fall into the later category. I see a fridge that is covered, countertops full, mantle “occupied” etc etc. All that is fine if that’s what brings you comfort and joy and works for you. So...a sleek, quiet space may never be yours, regardless of the money spent, if that’s not your groove.
    Another commentator suggested a kitchen designer. I think your money would be well spent as a pro may see a way through your dilemma and help you identify your, and your family’s, style.
    Good luck and would love to see the “after” pictures.

• Webado Webada
    4 years ago

Well the OP said the present clutter and mess are just (hopefully) temporary. Hopefully all that will be tamed because otherwise why worry about counter and backsplash since neither can be seen? LOL

• Lynn G
    4 years ago

If you're going to go through the time, work and expense to replace the granite flooring as was suggested above, go with real hard wood, not engineered stuff as was suggested above. It costs just as much to buy and to lay, but it lasts way better and way longer. When I was buying I didn't consider the houses I saw with the engineered stuff. It scratches easily, sounds different - kinda "tin-ey", and will require refinishing sooner, and can only do that 1-2 times. And, has a different kind of look that's just not as nice...

As for the wood not matching the other hardwood areas, sounds like they are in another area, so may not matter. If you want matching, refinish the old to go more with the new.

And in the transition area between new and old, just run a few boards in a darker color so it doesn't look like your trying to "match" it, rather, embrace it. That's what I did in my apt when re-doing the kitchen and getting rid of the white tile floors.... It never bothered me which it would have if I was looking at one section of wood floors coming to a straight end meeting another straight end.... BTW: I really like the warmth of light, unstained wood. That warmth tends to be missing with dark stains...

• Terrie B.
    4 years ago

All I see with that floor especially in a kitchen is a safety hazard when wet. Save the cabinets for later but replace the floor asap.

• mar dm
    4 years ago

Agree with the others who suggested saving to replace the floors at the same time. Even if it means delaying the reno. Unless you totally love those floors. If you don't, why put yourself in a position to have to design around them. Updating the floors can also open the possibilities for a new layout if you want/need (larger island? different shape or orientation?) and negate the possible scenario of having to patch the old one during the reno.

We had a similar dilemma when we redid our kitchen. We went back and forth for a while. I am so glad we ultimately decided to replace the flooring. Our old flooring, which was an expensive travertine but nevertheless 20 years old and a bit dated, also extended into a large entryway. We also have similar flooring in two other rooms (large laundry and powder room) that will now need to be replaced at a later stage of reno. But even so, even though this choice then created a snowball effect of need for more flooring changes later, we are thrilled we spent the money to change the flooring. Doing so then opened up other design options for countertops and backplash, paint colors, as our old flooring was not as busy as yours but did have a lot of movement that would have required us to keep all the other new elements quiet and tonally coordinating.

• Webado Webada
    4 years ago

Why is everybody so gung-ho on demolishing and changing things so extensively? I can't even imagine spending tens of thousands of dollars uselessly just to renovate a kitchen. Mind boggling.

• tedbixby
    4 years ago

I know you've gotten a lot of opinions here regarding your flooring. and after owning and renovating 6 homes and 7th in the works ( not a flipper, just a lot of moving) I can tell you from my experience that you're at a fork in the road in your remodeling. You and your husband need to make a decision if you love the floor enough, not because it is in great shape, to have it drive your design or continue with your current selections and have the floor look out of place. and old when you finish with your reno. If your main goal is to just replace the cabinets because they are falling apart rather than considering the whole design, then do you feel that you've gotten enough input regarding your countertop?

That said, "we have hardwood floors that are VERY challenging to match (we try matching it for our second floor reno from carpet to hardwood with no success)." For the main floor have you considered replacing the tile with unfinished wood , the old sanded and all of it restained so it matches? I'm guessing that if the wood flooring is 20 yrs old, it probably needs some attention anyhow? If you post a photo of your current wood flooring downstairs we can offer some help or maybe we might know of a prefinished floor that would work with your existing.

• Hope Powers
    4 years ago

Hi Elizabeth, I know you already got more information than you wanted. Simply put, I think you can keep your floor and save money. Go with a subtle quartz, such as an almost solid white, or gray and keep your cabinets white if you want. They are lovely. I used MSI Calacata Verona and loved the results. You might want to make and overhang so that you can have a bigger work space. I will send my my before an after!

• Hope Powers
    4 years ago

• hollywaterfall
    4 years ago

Wow all the comments about the flooring! If you have a limited budget and are not looking to change the flooring (and I personally wouldn't unless you absolutely HATE it) then imo I would flip your thoughts. What I mean by this is that the flooring looks like something most ppl would use on their countertops (it's a granite pattern). So why not do the countertops in something most would use for the floor? That way it would match and not be too off. Use something like black/dark gray slate or concrete. Something dull not shiny like the floor. Do the cabinets in white and accent with the mauve/pink that is in the floor. If the floor is your focal point-your starter-then build off of that.

It's just like when you do a bedroom and LOVE the comforter or picture on the wall. You pull the colors/elements out of that and just start building. A goes with B and then add C and D. I do also think some earth elements of wood will soften things, but you could go with stainless steel as well.

I like the Last Two Photos

• Elizabeth Wong
    Original Author
    4 years ago

Wow... thank you for everyone’s advice and comments. I am surprised at the overwhelming number of responses on this post. Lol...
    With the covid-19 pandemic I guess we will revisit this reno project later. Again... thank you everyone and I appreciate all of your opinions on this matter.

• Hope Powers
    4 years ago

Good luck to you.

• suecanflynn
    4 years ago

If you are bored from being stuck inside and want to read one designer's thoughts on timeless kitchens and bossy fixed elements (your floor), check out Maria Killam's blog (google it). When you get to her website search "timeless kitchens". Lots of great info that might be helpful. Good luck!

• Brenda Wale
    4 years ago

Is it too late to just leave the old cabinets and focus on cooking great meals while completing the other renos? Plan lighting improvements and charming dinner parties for when we're done with the epidemic. Shop online for fresh towels and window treatments. Plant flowers so you can decorate with cut flowers. The designers are right; just be patient for the right time to act on their advice.

• newdiva2014
    4 years ago

It's so frustrating to deal with a bad decision made by a former owner. I agree with everyone who says bite the bullet now. That will give you much more flexibility to change the layout and choose colors, It will be better for resale value too. I am not a decorator and can't understand why anyone would put granite flooring in a kitchen! When I redid my kitchen 15 years ago, I chose a high-end laminate and it's held up beautifully. If I were going to do it over now, I'd choose LVT (now there are wonderful selections that look just like hardwood), which I chose when we redid our bathrooms in 2018. It's waterproof and won't warp like hardwood if you have a flood. I prefer softer flooring because there's less danger of breakage or damage when something is dropped or someone falls. It's also easier to stand on for long periods when cooking. As good flooring person should be able to stain new hardwood to match the other wood flooring, or buy unfinished and strip the existing so they can both be newly stained. Good luck with your project. :)

• suezbell
    4 years ago

With a "busy" kitchen floor, you want a solid color backsplash and a countertop that is either solid or has only a couple of colors with a pattern that is not at all "busy".

• equinekdc
    4 years ago

Well, I'm just going to jump in and beat the dead horse some more...I wouldn't do a thing if you cannot change the flooring...it looks so dated...how about some inexpensive LVT...I have used vinyl planks in several remodels and it looks terrific and is bulletproof...good luck !!