Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
jessica7542

First time refinishing

Jessica Kott
4 years ago

Hello, this will be my first time refinishing furniture. I know nothing! Please give some advice,/direction on how and what to use to refinish these two pieces I just purchased.

Comments (1.5K)

• Jessica Kott
    Original Author
    3 years ago

How’s this height?

• Jessica Kott
    Original Author
    3 years ago

Lynartist I took the other photo out...I still have it

• Jessica Kott
    Original Author
    3 years ago

• drblount10
    3 years ago

Ok Jessica, these 3 pieces will ground you and never change. They need to center over the dresser and hang lower. Move them down and to the left.

• Jessica Kott
    Original Author
    3 years ago

• drblount10
    3 years ago

Hi, sorry again for the late reply. To the left more. The center of the dresser should go between them.

• Jessica Kott
    Original Author
    3 years ago

Gotcha!

• drblount10
    3 years ago

Hi Jessica, sorry to do this but I am calling an early night. Here's where I was going with this display, see below. As long as these 3 pieces do not change, you can add pics on the side.

The baby stuff needs to group together on your green dresser, leaning the ballerina and grouping the rest in front. Do those 2 things and take a pic for us tomorrow.

• drblount10
    3 years ago

Hi Jessica, any updates?

• Jessica Kott
    Original Author
    3 years ago

So sorry I haven’t done anything yet, I will get back at it tomorrow!

• drblount10
    3 years ago

No worries, Jessica, have a good night! 😊

• Jessica Kott
    Original Author
    3 years ago

• Jessica Kott
    Original Author
    3 years ago

• PRO
    Flo Mangan
    3 years ago

Way too high. Unless you fill in below? Bottom of set up should be about 5-6" above top of dresser. This applies to all wall hangings. Over sofas/etc., etc. But you are on the right track.

• Jessica Kott
    Original Author
    3 years ago

This is 6 inches above dresser...seems a bit low...

• Jessica Kott
    Original Author
    3 years ago

This pic is with the left mirror 8.5”

• Jessica Kott
    Original Author
    3 years ago

At 6” I could see my chest and stomach in the mirror....at 8.5” I can see my face just not my hair...

• btydrvn
    3 years ago

Are you adding more pieces?

• btydrvn
    3 years ago

If not i would center the grouping

• btydrvn
    3 years ago

I think centering is best either way

• btydrvn
    3 years ago

The three oval pieces are perfect together...ornate frames and subject matter

• btydrvn
    3 years ago

Too low placement eliminates room for anything on top of chest

• PRO
    Flo Mangan
    3 years ago

Hard to communicate details here, but the "whole" space has to be considered. If you want to see yourself in that mirror, then start with putting the mirror in the overall center of the space, where you want it for yourself and go from there. Just put smaller pieces down under it so there is some overall "spacial" continuity. The challenge of "collages" is getting the symmetry and styling working right. Always leave more open space below an arrangement than above unless you are filling the whole wall space. In your case, I would tape out a space about 6-10" in from the walls and drop down. That is the space you are going to be using. Center mirror in that space. I will try to do another sketch for you shortly.

• btydrvn
    3 years ago

Am i the only one who notices the chest seems lower on the right ?

• PRO
    Flo Mangan
    3 years ago

Think of whole vignette. Wall and top of dresser. This is concept. The frames on top of dresser could be two of your wedding pictures on pretty stands.

• lynartist
    3 years ago

Because you have so few things Jessica, a symmetrical layout would look best!

• drblount10
    3 years ago

Ok Jessica, sorry for the late reply. Something is wrong with my Houzz where all these just came in. Just look back at my diagram from yesterday. What you just posted is what I was trying to do, at the 8.5 inch mark. There is room on either side but to line up on the top and bottom. If you decide to add more on top, it needs to line up right and left with the whole display.
    My thinking is, if you have your grounding arrangement of the 2 mirrors and picture, then you can have room to "play" with the sides and maybe top. This way the center arrangement does not change.
    HOWEVER,
    If you now need this mirror to see in.... (sorry I thought you were using the closet mirror!)

Anyhow, that was what I came up with. Is this helping you any?

• Jessica Kott
    Original Author
    3 years ago

Okay amigos! Sorry I have been MIA....my mom came down one day and just started hanging stuff and I have left it seeing how I feel about it....I know some will be annoyed with the mirror lol sorreeyyyy

• Jessica Kott
    Original Author
    3 years ago

Also finished painting all of the doors...

• Gargamel
    3 years ago

It looks really nice Jessica! It’s very cozy. What a difference from a few months ago.

• lynartist
    3 years ago

Very pretty Jessica. Hope you feel like it is now you own special place!

• btydrvn
    3 years ago

Painting the doors made a huge difference and the new changes are great too....love the ballerina grouping....and the black mirror...the rest expresses your personality and embraces the clutter...

• btydrvn
    3 years ago

Good job..

• btydrvn
    3 years ago

The doggies look happy too

• happyleg
    3 years ago

Nice & calm; enjoy!

• shwshw
    3 years ago

Great result for all your hard work.

• PRO
    Flo Mangan
    3 years ago

You have come a long way. Lots of good steps taken and you have worked hard. Are you guys loving it?

• drblount10
    3 years ago

Just saw these pics today. Most importantly, how do you like it? Amazing reveal after months of painting!

• krottmann
    3 years ago

Great job!
    It looks very serene now, enjoy.

• Jessica Kott
    Original Author
    3 years ago

I feel great in my space now! I tell my husband I feel like it’s ours now. Painting the doors def made a HUGE difference! I could not have done it without everyone’s help, thank you soo much!

• Jessica Kott
    Original Author
    3 years ago

My next projects....

• PRO
    Flo Mangan
    3 years ago

So glad you are happy. That means everything!

• happyleg
    3 years ago

Looks good

• drblount10
    3 years ago

And.... now, coming to the stage..... 😁 good night Jessica, glad you have a bedroom you and hubby Esquire can enjoy! Take a well deserved break before the desk and chiffarobe. 😴

• drblount10
    3 years ago

Hello Jessica, just checking in. Hope you and hubby Esquire are doing well. I still think about the beautiful navy dresser and wish I could do something similar to my oldie but goodie. Any updates, furniture or otherwise?

• Jessica Kott
    Original Author
    3 years ago

Hello!! I think about you all often :) Well about a month after finishing my room, Drover, my 9 year old maltipoo, ruptured his CCL :/ so I had to put the bed on the ground, build a ramp, and I switched out to shorter nightstands. His recovery has been my main priority and it has been a lot of work. It can take up to 6-12 months for him to fully recover. Before his injury I was working on repairing the exterior basement door frame that had dry rot, digging out a tree that was growing into the irrigation box and trying to resolve an irrigation issue - the sump pump and rain drain empty out in the same spot and is causing a muddy mess.

• Gargamel
    3 years ago

Aww, sorry to hear about your little Drover . You are a renaissance woman Jessica, digging out trees, repairing wood rot, as well as beautifying furniture 👍

• Jessica Kott
    Original Author
    3 years ago

Hello friends! Happy holidays! I think of this thread often :) Hope all is well

• Izzy Mn
    3 years ago

Hope all is going well and your puppy is recovering. Happy Holidays and stay safe.

• Gargamel
    3 years ago

Happy holidays to you as well Jessica! I was just thinking about you the other day and was wondering what you were up to and if you’d embarked on more painting projects. It seems like a lifetime ago now, to me. I hope you and your family are well, and Grover too