Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
webuser_431000940

Schuler vs Starmark cabinets

Mar H
4 years ago

Anyone hear that Starmark cabinets have taking a bad turn? 1/4 inch back vs 3/4 inch? See Main line kitchen reviews 2020. I have a quote for Starmark and Schuler. Starmark is $8,000 usd more for kitchen . Is it worth it?

Comments (7)

• Aglitter
    4 years ago

1/4" Backs on cabinets isn't unusual for framed cabinetry. What they seem to be referring to in their review is inset styles of doors on the front frames and/or boxes that are constructed with 3/4" backs, but it's hard to tell the way it is listed. Starmark isn't the best cabinet you could get, but it's also not the worst. I would try to find more current reviews if you go that direction.

Is the price comparison apples to apples? Are you talking about the same wood, door style, interior accessories, layout, etc.? Schuler is a lovely brand, and you can sometimes get discounts if you wait for sales at Lowe's. However, they aren't a problem-free company and were having some issues with their finishes around a year ago according to reviewers. Warranty service has been a problem for some customers with Schuler, so I'd be very sure that you have a strong support system in place from whomever you ordered Schuler in order to get any damaged or incorrect pieces corrected under warranty. Have you priced the Harmoni cabinetry line? If you'd be willing to go with frameless cabinetry, some dealers offer decent pricing on this brand that has exceptional quality and warranty service. Shiloh is another one that gets moderately good reviews and has good pricing.

• Mar H
    Original Author
    4 years ago

Hi, very helpful . Thank you. It’s apples to apples and the Schuler are from Lowe’s (30% discount) . Kraftmaid is another consideration. Of the 4 below, which is best quality? willing to pay for better quality - what I don’t want to do is pay more for an inferior cabinet .

1. Starmark
    2. Schuler
    3. Kraftmaid.
    4. Thomasville

Thank you!
    M.

• AboutToGetDusty
    4 years ago

We loved our Schuler cabinets in our former home. We waited for one of the Lowe's sales, which brough the total price of cabinetry from 25K to 12K! (Back in 2012). Great styling and quality for a big box store line. The finish was the best of the Big Box finishes.

• AboutToGetDusty
    4 years ago

AboutToGetDusty · More Info

We had our contractor add molding (replicated to match the rest of the 1940s home molding) to the top of the Schuler cabs and then spray to match.

• live_wire_oak
    4 years ago

Get out of the box store. Find a Medallion or Yorktowne dealer. They are the same thing, but not dumbed down for box stores. You’ll get better service and design.

• Aglitter
    3 years ago
    last modified: 3 years ago

Someone just liked a comment of mine above, 4 months after I wrote it, and I realized I misspoke about the concentration of what seems to be the most quality custom cabinet builders for people local to those areas, and it would be the north and northeastern regions of the USA (not the northwestern as much, it seems to me), as this is where a lot of the timber and milling industry is based as well. Pennsylvania is notable. Indiana, Illinois, Michigan, and Minnesota have impressive numbers, too.