Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
nicko211

need help with bathroom vanity

Stacy glaydura
4 years ago

My daughter just moved into a home and has a limited budget. We hate the vanity we painted walls a pretty shade of green. Still hate the vanity it is beat up and needs to be painted. We were thinking of changing from the brown to a white or cream . They plan on putting in a glass shower in closure in the near future. Luckily they can use it without one. This house was a flip and once we got in see lots of mistakes and quick fixes. Need options and opinions of the vanity color. Brown or white or cream. Part of the tile is very warm almost orange in the shower they may replace that part before the do the glass shower walls. They rest is neutral. Any suggestions also of the exact color name that would compliment the room.

Comments (53)

• Stacy glaydura
    Original Author
    4 years ago

Reason baskets are there is this is a flip house and the white pvc pluming is visible underneath baskets hide so of course they are staying unfortunately

• Vks248
    4 years ago
    last modified: 4 years ago

In my opinion she’d be better off waiting until she replaces the tile, then decide on the vanity color.

• Vks248
    4 years ago

The pony wall looks much more golden than the rest of the tile. Is that the true color?

• Vks248
    4 years ago

Or she could leave the tile and replace the vanity. Much more affordable then replacing tile.

• Vks248
    4 years ago

I’d also swap out the floral prints and have just the single above the toilet. in my opinion it’s just too much repetition with the double mirrors there also. Possibly stack the two on wall by the door?

• Stacy glaydura
    Original Author
    4 years ago

Tile that looks orange will be replaced with something similar to a picture I will post. The question again was what color should we paint the vanity it at this point will have to stay they don’t have the money to replace it.

• Stacy glaydura
    Original Author
    4 years ago

Hopefully will be able to get something similar to tan color

• Stacy glaydura
    Original Author
    4 years ago

Orange is so out of place must have been a bargain! Lol

• Vks248
    4 years ago

I’d say sad leftovers LOL!

Again until you replace the tile I would not worry about the vanity. Wait until you know what color you will be using for sure and try to match that.

• Stacy glaydura
    Original Author
    4 years ago

We do like the mirror suggestion!! We kinda knew they were to big for the spot but way better than what was up there

• Stacy glaydura
    Original Author
    4 years ago

Definitely tan like the picture. I guess my question is should we match it to vanity top or toilet. Looking for a quick fix the vanity is ugly paint is cheap and can make it fresh. They have 300000 things that need to be addressed in this house. Just needs a little clean up on a budget for now. If you only knew the things they need to deal with! Lol

• Vks248
    4 years ago

Sorry not talented enough to change the tile color here is a tan/Beige-ish vanity for a visual. New houses are always fun : )

I like this color

Stacy glaydura thanked Vks248
  • PRO
    The Cook's Kitchen
    4 years ago

Professional paint may be inexpensive at $100 a gallon, but the paid labor will not be. The small job premium comes into it. Most pro cabinet finishers have a 1K minimum. If the kitchen needs work, you might fold that in with that 7-9K.

Done as a DIY, it will take you a couple of weekends. Disassemble doors and drawers and find a place that’s not freezing and without cross breezes that you can work. Everything has to be cleaned well first. I suggest Krud Kutter. Then everything must be sanded well. Any areas of failing finish must be sanded completely smooth. Then spot prime any wood with BIN. Once that’s dried, prime the whole, including the spot primed areas. Then scuff sand. That’s Weekend 1 gone.

Weekend 2 is to tack off any dust and apply your first finish coat. I’d suggest Cabinet Coat, available where Benjamin Moore paints are sold. Emerald takes way too long to cure. Then do a second coat. Waiting the 48 hours to start putting things back together just means it’s dry. It’s still not cured. Thats still going to take almost a month or more.

For a color, the contrast that the current vanity provides is good. Light is going to be washed out. So I’d suggest sticking with a darker color. Maybe a dark green brown like Urbane Bronze. Or something similar.

• Vks248
    4 years ago

Those colors are quite harsh with her pretty wall color. The neutral beige shade really softens the room and goes with her floral prints nicely.

I think your daughter should find tiles that match the beige stripe that goes across the shower walls, and replace the threshold also. Then take a tile and get a similar shade in paint.

• live_wire_oak
    4 years ago

Nothing wrong with the color it is. Whites are wrong. That’s contrast in the wrong direction. Insipid beiges are really wrong. There’s too much of that already. It really needs the stained dark wood to be a successful design. Barring that, a dark paint color.

• Vks248
    4 years ago

“Insipid beiges are really wrong. There’s too much of that already.”

Where? I see none other than the little bit in the shower tiles...

She stated they hate the vanity and want to go lighter...

Whatever shade you choose, I’m sure it will look lovely...be sure to keep us updated!

Stacy glaydura thanked Vks248
  • PRO
    ProSource Memphis
    4 years ago

Just color match the existing vanity color if you can’t touch up the wood as is. The dark brown is the right color choice. Every room needs some black or dark in it to ground it.

• Stacy glaydura
    Original Author
    4 years ago

thank you vks248 I think u understand what we are doing here. Just looking to change it up temporarily till they can do it properly. In my opinion I would like to paint the vanity because it is on the bottom of the list to replace. We want to paint I am not a professional so it would not cost much I plan on using a primer that will me allow to paint it without sanding. Not looking for a factory look. I have do it in the past it has held up well. It’s a cheap vanity put in by flippers. Will be replaced in near future. just trying to get an idea if we should go lighter I like the pic you posted and think the lighter color will look better. my husband is pricing out the cost of changing the tile. I was surprised at his guesstimate! Said about 1200 but it needs to be done before the glass. It’s so ugly! Do you think more of a cream than white? I am leaning towards the cream.

• Vks248
    4 years ago

Yes I personally think a cream/Beige color like the stripe across the tiles will help tie it all together, vs a stark white.

• live_wire_oak
    4 years ago

$1200 would be a cheap uninsured hack. No sanding is a 15 minute paint job that wont last long enough to justify purchasing the materials. https://www.ceramictilefoundation.org/homeowners-guide-to-hiring-qualified-tile-installer

https://www.facebook.com/groups/353207895210719/?ref=share

• Vks248
    4 years ago

Not matched but gives you a good idea

Vs white

Or perhaps you’d prefer the white?

• Stacy glaydura
    Original Author
    4 years ago

Live_wire_oak I have no idea what you are referring to the cost to fix the two slabs of marble that are orange? Or the paint job that I would do myself not sanding that I have done in the past with success. 1200 is for the marble is a possibly my husband is a high end home project manager with connections he gave me a ball park bid. As for the paint job who cares if you read my post it’s a temp cosmetic fix not made to last. your answer is one of the reasons I always debate about posting. Read before you respond! This is not a perfection job it’s a fix for someone who just wants to be able to live a year or two with something looking better than it does. If she had the money she would rip this 90 s bathroom out and start over! seriously! Obliviously you are defending your craft I get that but read the post first!

• Stacy glaydura
    Original Author
    4 years ago

Vks248 I think the cream looks better. Thank you. I may chime out sick of the negativity every time I ask a simple opinion. Wish people were not so harsh. Not everyone can afford to do the right thing just starting out. Wish this forum wasn’t so mean and judgmental. It’s like they get off putting people down must make them feel better. Thank you for getting it. We are moving pictures! And getting different mirrors eventually! Your advice was on point! Going with cream also.

• A Foster
    4 years ago

THis forum has a lot of folks that look down on DYI anything. I would go with a antique white or cream taken from the tile/granite. I can't give you a specific because all screen are different. On my screen walls look light shade of green so a cream would work. I don't know how long she has to live with it but Honestly painting the vanity and orange stone would make the bath ok. Is the orange granite can't really tell but if its in a area not getting wet than I would see about painting it.

• kaylinb
    4 years ago

I know you have you stated that you want to lighten up the vanity but when I saw the pictures I immediately thought how pretty the vanity would be in a navy or dark woodsy green color, with brushed gold hardware. Then add a patterned rug with navy and gold colors. I have attached before and after pictures of a vanity I repainted last summer. Also whatever color you decide to go with, look into General Finishes milk paint, the stuff is amazing.

• kaylinb
    4 years ago

A rug suggestion and General Finishes milk paint I used

• ratherbesewing
    4 years ago

Whoa, social distancing is beginning to show some ugly cracks. I like the off white pictures that jkx has posted above. The wood tone dozen't relate to anything currently in the room. The challenge will be to choose a white that doesn't fight with the countertop. I realize the area doesn't need a shower curtain, but a white one would cover up some of that tile. I would say to post a picture when you are done, but then again, maybe not ;)

• Stacy glaydura
    Original Author
    4 years ago

Kaylinb that vanity is beautiful! That’s exactly the product I have used in the past with great results. I never even thought about painting the granite! Now at least I have some cheap fixes to think about. Once we figure out the granite i guess it will be easier to vision vanity color. We aren’t sure how long till she will be able to replace it. It’s an open concept underneath now workable drawers and ugly plumbing that shows. The baskets conceal that. First thing that is a must in there is glass enclosure for shower they have gotten a good price. So the granite needs to be changed out in that area. I worry about painting it only because I have never done or seen that. I will do some research! Thank you

• mlienke
    3 years ago

I understand your dilemma here... hard to pick a paint color for this. White would probably be too stark with the current tile. Brown paint ... meh. So the paint should probably be cream to beige range. Alternative idea... If the vanity is wood, you might sand it down and stain/seal it... try sanding and see what is underneath before committing to paint? A wood vanity would look super nice both now and with more updated tiles later. Another idea... since the vanity is already beat up, you could try sanding it partially to give it a distressed look so it looks more intentional. If you try the distressed look and hate it, it's no loss because you can just keep sanding more and paint over it! :)

• melle_sacto is hot and dry in CA Zone 9/
    3 years ago

I think the black vanity is great in there. But if it must be changed dark green to match the leaves in her botanical prints; something with warmish undertones that suit the space.

• PRO
    User
    3 years ago
    last modified: 3 years ago

I would do a color similar to this...

a muddy beige/greige can soften the orange tile and serve as a bridge between the tile and wall color. I would go heavier on the beige side of things, rather than grey with this color mixture.

• Peke
    3 years ago

Stacy, I can't tell where you live. If you are in the U.S., you can add a state to your profile so people who live in your state (or country) can help if they know costs. I live in Oklahoma, and prices are so much lower here than other states. You might live in the U.K. or somewhere else for all I know.

You asked for a temporary fix, and I am sure money is tight since they just bought the house, plus moving expenses, and this horrible pandemic which makes it difficult to want to spend money. Can the wood vanity's dings and scratches be touched up with stain?

I think the walls should be cream or off white color to minimize the color of the orangish looking tiles. I think the green is pretty IF the tiles were a different color. Maybe after the tiles are replaced in a future remodel, then you could plan on the green painted walls. If you keep the green walls, the picture that Glo European posted looks like it would work with the green. It reminds me of a chocolate shake on my monitor. Every monitor is different...are your walls a mint green or a celery green or ????? Can you post a close up picture of the beige tiles and the wall paint?

OR Can you just DIY and replace the orange looking tiles and leave the others alone for now? I can't tell how big a space that is. The floor is tan, shower tiles are tan and orange, and if vanity is tan, that is a whole lot of tan. To me the biggest problem is the green and the orange together, though the green is a pretty color on its own.

Please keep us updated. Don't give up because of one person. If someone does that to you again, search for posts by that person, and you will usually see many, many negative and unhelpful posts. Then, you can choose to ignore that person. Sometimes, he/she is a pro and wants only pros to do the work OR he/she just likes to cause dissension and criticize others' comments.

Congratulations to your daughter on her new house. That is a nice size bathroom!

• Lorna
    3 years ago

I think an ivory would look nice if you’re going lighter. I personally would get Java General Finishes and give it a few coats. You could even do the mirror frames to match if you wanted. Good luck!

• Stacy glaydura
    Original Author
    3 years ago

Thank you guys for all the great advice! I am in the process of painting the vanity a dark navy blue. Hale navy Benjamin Moore. Sanded a bit used a primer bonder sanded again. First coat on ! Looks good will post when done. Now of course like and quick cheap job you realize wait now we have have silver faucets! Ugggg any one every try a spray one something think that? Cheap is never cheap! Lol

• Stacy glaydura
    Original Author
    3 years ago

Yes our plan it just to replace the orange granite still waiting on a price. Figure we can at least freshen up vanity. My son in law painted the wall a a couple weeks ago but I am gonna redo it lol love the color just a little sloppy .....shhhh

• Stacy glaydura
    Original Author
    3 years ago

Walls kinda celery green . It’s a great size bath just needs to be finished flippers did cheap job. Everything looks good till ya finally move in and see all the corners they cut.

• Peke
    3 years ago

Ha! I know exactly what you mean...same thing in my house by the same person. Every time I walk by a certain spot, I can see where he missed. He tried.

• kaylinb
    3 years ago

I love the Hale Navy color and look forward to seeing the final product. I think it’s okay to mix silver and gold finishes. Maybe get 3 drawer pulls in gold to match the mirrors. You can find some inexpensive ones on Amazon that look great. I’ve attached a couple of pics that show silver faucets with gold mirrors and hardware. I’m sure it’ll look great when you’re done. Congrats to your daughter and family on the new house.

• Stacy glaydura
    Original Author
    3 years ago

Love this ! There is only one drawer pull we did buy it. Maybe that will pull it together. In those pics it looks fine. Thanks! Promise I will post. We have to keep mirrors from original post for now. Plan on getting new in the near future.

• Peke
    3 years ago

I was looking for solid surface materials today, and I saw this...I thought of the pic of the blue cabinets. I have never seen navy blue in a countertop. I know your daughter is not ready for a new countertop, but I thought I would post it for you.

Click on the picture to open it larger.

• Stacy glaydura
    Original Author
    3 years ago

That is beautiful!

• Stacy glaydura
    Original Author
    3 years ago

Finished vanity came out pretty good ! You can see in these pictures why we need baskets. Lol it’s an easy fix for my husband but they are in the process of finishing off basement so for now this will have to be enough. I will also post some close ups of shower area so you can see better the tile that needs to be changed. All the other tiles are so neutral the seat area sticks out like a sore thumb!

• Stacy glaydura
    Original Author
    3 years ago

They never finished shower glass. They need it showers get very cold. They got an estimate of 1200 I thought that was a good price. My husband is going to price out changing the ugly orange and entry piece so they all match. One it is done I will post again. Thank you for all the great advice!

• Stacy glaydura
    Original Author
    3 years ago

Wish stores were open so we can decorate!

• kaylinb
    3 years ago

The vanity looks great! I love the Hale Navy color. Thanks for sharing your work. I’ve enjoyed keeping up with this post, it is a much needed distraction during this pandemic. Stay well.

• Peke
    3 years ago

Looks wonderful! Can the large picture frame be painted the navy color? Are the other two frames gold?

Maybe your daughter can sell the brand new faucets on ebay or Craig's list and use that money to buy gold faucets? It looks like the drawer pull and mirror frames are gold. The silver shower head can also be sold, unless she wants to keep the silver. I love chrome or nickel, but a lot of people like gold.

• Peke
    3 years ago

I don't understand why my local plumbing supply store is closed while my local Lowe's store is open! I really need to see a solid surface display in person. Lowe's does not have one.

• Stacy glaydura
    Original Author
    3 years ago

Peke someone had posted up in the comment a picture of silver mixed with gold . I kinda liked it. I think we will leave the way it is for now. I think gold faucets look kind of a little to much bling . That may be an idea to paint frame on big picture but I am sure as soon as stores reopen she will be buying new decor. Lol that pic was not bought for that room. It was just something in storage from the past. Other pics were the same I do like them though frames are a natural wood. She may keep them but she may not. I hate that everything is closed especially Home Goods !

• Peke
    3 years ago

Yes, I am not fond of gold faucets, but I really liked your pulls. Maybe I just don't like the "old gold" fixtures. I still some of those to get rid of. I bet they don't look anything like the newer gold fixtures. Love, love, love that navy vanity. Fabulous job!