Software
Houzz Logo Print
lilylchen

Wrong grass seeds

6 years ago

So since our gardeners aren't supposed to be coming out for a while, I thought I'd take the opportunity to reseed the patches of grass where my dog has killed it. We are in San Fran Bay Area and the grass that's there is fescue. So I went to Home Depot and picked up a bag, washed my hands, opened the bag, and started spreading it around the bare patches. I go to roll up the bag and put it in the garage, and facepalm, I picked up the Sun and Shade variety. So 1) should I not worry about it (I think the first seed type in the composition list was a ryegrass or 2) let those seeds die by not watering them and then spread fescue in, when, another week? I've only dealt with fescue, so I know a fair amount about taking care of it and weeds in it (and have my favorite selective herbicides and preemergents like Tumflon Ester and Tenacity). Not sure I want to have to stock up on other types and start learning how to take care of those all over again. If "2" how should I go about ending my relationship with the seeds that are there? Should I get out my dust buster? I just thought of that but I'm really thinking about it... It wasn't a ton and it mostly is spread in the patchy areas and not all over.

Comments (3)

  • 6 years ago

    Ending a relationship with seeds is difficult because those suckers will only die when you want them to grow. Also, they stalk you for years.

    Sun and shade mix is going to include rye, fescue, and bluegrass, in all likelihood. Unwatered, the seed will happily sit and wait, dormant, until it gets wet, then germinate if it can. And your climate isn't exactly what I'd call "harsh," so survival probabilities, even for spring seedings, are far better than they would be here in Pennsylvania (where I'd tell you to ignore what you did, wait for fall, and reseed with the right stuff).

    The mismatch in color and growth rates probably isn't going to be bad for the casual homeowner, so #1 probably isn't a horrible choice for you. It's probably worth a shot trying it.

    If you hate it, you can always hit it with RoundUp later in the season and redo this at the correct time in August with the correct fescue seed. By that time, hopefully this whole mess will be behind us and you can get the landscaper to do it--or you'll be so used to doing it yourself that you find you enjoy it.

    And you probably won't hate it anyway.

    Even if you don't hate it, moving into summer means that survival probabilities, even in cooler, damper environments, aren't exactly what I'd call perfect. Some fall touch-up is likely going to be required.

    Nothing is writ in stone is what I'm saying here. Not even in a showcase lawn.


    For watering, keep it damp. Always. So water twice a day even in your climate--and for longer than you think to assure that the bluegrasses sprout (they're self-repairing and the cultivars chosen in the Sun/Shade mixes are chosen to match the fescue/rye cultivars to begin with). Call it 3 weeks or so. Then back off slowly to give the grass time to adjust--you can certainly go to watering 3 times weekly in your climate immediately, I should think, but listen to a native if they contradict me. You could get away with that here in PA in May weather, so I figure it should work in San Fran.

    Water through the summer if dry, at least weekly and if you like the grass. If you don't, stop watering it and let it die out on its own as much as it's going to. RoundUp or use another grass killer in July to get rid of it if you hate it, and repair it in August and restart the watering process as above at that point with fescue seed.

  • 6 years ago
    last modified: 6 years ago

    Alright, so I decided to just pull out the ol' Black and Decker and vacuum my lawn. I think my family thinks I'm crazy, and well, let me repeat what I just wrote ..."vacuum my lawn" :-)


    Anyway, I just don't want to learn to fight a different battle, so this felt like the easiest since I hadn't gotten them wet yet. Was pretty easy, too, except that the battery doesn't last that long so I had to recharge a couple of times.


    Can I say that again? I vacuumed my lawn (insert crazy emoji.)

  • 6 years ago

    There's a sentence you don't read every day. Don't worry, I do the same sort of thing regularly. All of us around here do.

    Whatever works, works, and it goes no further than us. :-)

Sponsored
Buckeye Basements, Inc.
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars40 Reviews
Central Ohio's Basement Finishing ExpertsBest Of Houzz '13-'21