Software
Houzz Logo Print
julesann

What do you think of black gutters?

6 years ago
last modified: 6 years ago

Here is a picture of the house not quite completed. (Garage door will be painted close to siding color and black light fixtures will go on front.) I have two choices for gutter color: Dove Gray which would be fairly close to siding color OR black which will tie in the black roof and the future black light fixtures on the front. You don’t see many houses with black gutters but I do think that they will accent the house and could look really sharp. What do you think? Play it safe or accent?




Comments (21)

  • 6 years ago

    I wouldn't want the gutters to be a design element, so I'd go with the gray.

  • 6 years ago

    Gray. Gutters aren’t a feature to which you want to call attention.

  • 6 years ago

    If the only choices are black or gray, then the gray.

  • 6 years ago

    I have no problem with gutters in a contrasting color on a house designed by an exceptional architect but since you have a lot of other things going on - siding, stone, etc - I vote for gray.

  • 6 years ago
    last modified: 6 years ago

    Lol I‘m in the minority (standard); I say black. My gutters and downspouts are dark in contrast to a beige with white trim house. They’re one thing I love about my house! It’s kind of an exposed industrial pipe vibe.



  • 6 years ago

    If all your trim was black, you could get away with black gutters. But given that nearly all of your facade is warm gray, I'm afraid black gutters would give your house a unibrow.

  • 6 years ago
    last modified: 6 years ago

    Here's one of my builds from '92.

    1992 Arriscraft stone and Indiana limestone sills & pediments

    (Note all black trim and aluminium)

    And subsequently blandified by the second owner.


    2018

  • 6 years ago

    worthy-wow that is just sad! I personally love the darker gutter look so that it matches the roof. Even a dark pewter instead of black. But i'm also not of the popular opinion a house needs to be outlined in white.

  • 6 years ago

    Worthy- tragic.

    whyyyyy

  • PRO
    6 years ago

    I agree with arch13. You don't have a strong enough commitment to black to make that look right. Also, your roof looks dark charcoal, but not actually black. I think there is a lot to be said for matching the eaves troughs to the roof colour, but you could do that and still match the siding colour for the down spouts. Landscaping is going to make the biggest difference, once you get to that phase of your project. Nice house, by the way.

  • 6 years ago
    last modified: 6 years ago

    whyyyyy

    Well, it's only my house till it's sold! (Oddest one, the buyer became my girlfriend. She did have good taste--at least, in houses.)

  • 6 years ago

    If you had painted your trim black, you could pull it off. I would advise going with the closest match to your trim & siding color. My house is White Dove siding, trinisic black trim. My gutters are black but my down spouts are a shade of white to match the siding (& copper colored on 2 of them that are against cedar posts). I nearly went black for the downspouts but after seeing it all done, I'm glad that I did not. I like them blending in with the house design & not standing out or trying to compete with the rest of the exterior design.

  • PRO
    6 years ago

    Match the roof color gray

  • 6 years ago

    Our trim is all black so our gutters are black. Had our trim been grey we would have done grey gutters. In fact on the downspouts that run along the house they are grey like the house.

  • PRO
    6 years ago

    Black gives the home a little industrial touch. The right light style could tie it all together.

  • 6 years ago

    Well how will it look on the areas where you don’t have gutters unless the gutters match the trim color?

  • 6 years ago

    Love my gutters. Wish they were darker. I also have exposed solar panel conduit, and I love that too!



  • 6 years ago
    last modified: 6 years ago

    We have black gutters and they look good with black trim, windows etc.on a white exterior A darker grey, rather than black will likely look better for you.

    Here's a pic during construction (the white french door was painted black). I'll find some recent photos soon



  • PRO
    6 years ago

    Why would you want a highly contrasting color for your gutters and downspouts? They are not a design feature.

  • 4 years ago

    I became a fan of black gutters today, lol. A builder at my 1954 brick ranch house mentioned black windows & gutters. I said what???? But after checking out photos online today, I LOVE them! Even when they don't match the roof. And I love the look of the downspouts against the contrasting paint color! The detail is very pretty, I think. Would love to know how yours turned out, if you're still getting messages on this!