Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
bbstxx

Another Source for Masks

bbstx
4 years ago

In one of the threads, someone was asking for a source for fashionable masks. Johnny Was is making masks. 5/$25. For every package of masks bought, and equal number will be donated to healthcare workers.

Rothys is collaborating with Third Love to make masks for healthcare workers, but I don’t believe they are being sold to the public. For ever purchase of a pair of shoes, Rothy’s will donate 5 masks to healthcare workers.

Comments (100)

• Olychick
    3 years ago

jmck, when did you order?

• jmck_nc
    3 years ago

I ordered on April 15.

• Bunny
    3 years ago

I ordered from Johnny Was on 4/18 and still have my confirmation email and order number. When I go to their website it says it can't find an order, but I can't figure out how to search for an order #.

• 3katz4me
    3 years ago

I finally got my shipping notification today - will arrive May 16. I ordered April 13.

• OutsidePlaying
    3 years ago

I tried to order from JW and was never able to add anything to my cart. It was as if the site locked up. I gave up.

I received an email from Athleta they have masks now. Although I have a couple of homemade ones I like, I may check them out.

• bbstx
    Original Author
    3 years ago

I ordered from Johnny Was on April 24. My PayPal account shows that my credit card has not been charged and won’t be charged until the item is shipped. I’ve emailed JW and asked for a status update. Got back a canned message along the lines of “we are overwhelmed.”

• grammaj_gw
    3 years ago

I am just now seeing that some of you ordered from Headcovers and I am so glad you are happy. I just placed my second order as I am giving them to family members also. I love the fact that they are adjustable and you can use a filter too. My daughter works as an accountant in a hospital and said these were much better fit for her than others she has had. Hope everyone can find what they need to stay safe and healthy!

• Allison0704
    3 years ago
    last modified: 3 years ago

Wore mine today, @grammaj. Very comfortable. Filter fits perfectly.

Just saw this uniform company, G2 Performance, making masks to save their company... but do your own research. Having been a HS band geek, then in the 313th US Army Band, bands are close to my heart.

• Arapaho-Rd
    3 years ago

I also ordered from Johnny Was on 4/19. Sent email Thurs asking when they would ship and Friday they shipped. Coincidence, not sure.

• grammaj_gw
    3 years ago

I just received an email that everything at Headcovers is 15% off today in honor of Mother's Day. Posting in case anyone needs more masks.

• Olychick
    3 years ago

grammaj is there a code? I don't see it on their website and I didn't get an email. I gave the child size mask to my grandson this morning and he loved it.

• grammaj_gw
    3 years ago

First of all my mistake as it is 10% not 15% so sorry on that. The code on my email is MOTHER! Good luck. I do love their masks! I first ordered several all cotton and this time I am getting Bamboo Viscose so I hope we like them as well.

• Olychick
    3 years ago

Thanks! I got the bamboo and it is wonderful!! Disappointed to see they are made in Vietnam, however.

• User
    3 years ago

I got an email today that my masks from JW have been shipped!

• Olychick
    3 years ago

I also got an email saying mine have shipped today, too. They must be working 24/7!

• deegw
    3 years ago

I ordered Vida masks on May 2. They have adjustable ear toggles, nose wires, and a filter pocket.

I just received a notice that the delivery date was pushed out another two weeks to June 15 because they are stuck in customs. I ordered some from Etsy/California yesterday, we'll see which one arrives first.

I've seen the Vidas suggested on a few online sites - Today Show, Prevention, The Strategist, Popsugar, Vogue, Self. And this was after I ordered them. So God knows how far behind they are now.

In the meantime, we have some n-95s that I purchased when we were having fires two years ago. I'm glad we have them but they are stiff and uncomfortable.

• daisychain Zn3b
    3 years ago

I also ordered on April 15 but haven’t heard anything. I started making my own with a pocket for the filter and am really happy with them.

ETA: spoke too soon. Just got an email that they shipped.

• morz8 - Washington Coast
    3 years ago

My Johnny Was masks have shipped too. Ordered April 13th and tracking shows delivery to be made next Monday, May 18. It's about the timeline I expected when I placed the order so I wasn't disappointed.

I'm looking forward to having them. I have the pleated style for each of us and a couple of the Olson style each but suspect the masks may be part of our routine for some time to come, having fresh clean at the ready (and interesting fabrics/prints) will be fine with me.

bbstx thanked morz8 - Washington Coast
  • Bunny
    3 years ago

Hah! About an hour ago I sent a second email to JWas asking for a ship date and I just got a reply that the masks shipped. I ordered on April 18 and have my confirmation but the website said it couldn’t find an order. Meanwhile I’m finishing up 6 masks from a Britex fabric that came with thread and elastic. It’s been like giving birth. I too think masks will be with us for the foreseeable future so I don’t mind having lots of them.

bbstx thanked Bunny
  • jmck_nc
    3 years ago

Got my masks today. Ignore the covid hair ;). The fit could be better, but so much nicer than the one's my husband's sister sent us....cheaper too...I'll consider those charity.

bbstx thanked jmck_nc
  • Bunny
    3 years ago

One thing I learned while making masks: Do not let elastic come into direct contact with a hot iron.

bbstx thanked Bunny
  • DLM2000-GW
    3 years ago

ooohhhh nice jmck! I love those fabrics. If you sew at all it looks like it would be easy to take a small tuck and create a pleat below your ear - I assume that's the part you say doesn't fit well? You're ready for the masked ball - I crack myself up!

Hahaha Bunny! No, elastic and hot irons do not mix!

bbstx thanked DLM2000-GW
  • User
    3 years ago

My five masks came from Johnny Was yesterday. The patterns are similar to those shown above by jmck. I have about twenty different kinds now and will keep these for more dressed up occasions going forward as I believe we will be wearing masks until and possibly through the winter. I am wearing one to my MIL’a graveside service tomorrow.

My most comfortable masks are lined with baby flannel. They are made by a local seamstress. I also have several light blue linen ones with adjustable elastic. Supposedly linen is the most effective / protective fabric but I don’t know that for certain.

bbstx thanked User
  • Olychick
    3 years ago

The bamboo masks from headcovers are SO comfortable and soft. I love the adjustable ear cords...no elastic and a place to add a filter.

bbstx thanked Olychick
  • grammaj_gw
    3 years ago

Olychick we love the Headcovers masks also and they fit so well. I just ordered a few more last night to share with family. Stay healthy everyone!

bbstx thanked grammaj_gw
  • daisychain Zn3b
    3 years ago

Oly, I was just thinking that the ear cords are so important on the masks. right at the beginning of this, I ordered a mask off Amazon for my DD to use while flying. With shipping it was $30, but was so worth it. It was very well made and had thin adjustable barely stretchy cord. I ended up using it for shopping once she made it home and I've had trouble re-creating that comfort in the masks I've been making.

She flew out to a new job in BC on Sunday and took the comfortable mask with her, so I'm hoping the Johnny was masks are as good. I may have to look into the headcovers. However, I would like to try to get it right on the ones I've sewn. the mask part is great and doesn't fog up my glasses, it's just those pesky ear cords.

bbstx thanked daisychain Zn3b
  • 3katz4me
    3 years ago

My Johnny Was masks arrived today - a couple days earlier than I expected. They are so pretty! I found that if I pulled the elastic back behind my ears it pulled the sides in tight to my face and didn't make my ears stick out.

bbstx thanked 3katz4me
  • terezosa / terriks
    3 years ago

I can't stop making masks. I'm only making a few a day, but I've already given them to all my friends who need them. It's not like I have dozens, but I'm not sure what to do with them. I should probably stop sewing...but I can't. 😂

bbstx thanked terezosa / terriks
  • bbstx
    Original Author
    3 years ago

I got an email that my Johnny Was masks have shipped! Yay!

I’ve got yards of 100% cotton drapery weight fabric (projects that never happened) that I would gladly give someone who wants to use it to make masks. I can’t find anyone who wants it. I even tried to give it to a place here that is making masks and selling them. I don’t care if they sell them. I want the fabric out of my house.

• daisychain Zn3b
    3 years ago

My JOhnny Was masks arrived today - kind of. The package was ripped open and the only thing inside was the invoice. The way way it was opened, was not by accident. The driver said I'd have to open a claim with fedex which probably means I'll get my money back, but no masks. I'm glad I started making my own.

• bbstx
    Original Author
    3 years ago

Well, that stinks!

3 years ago

I'd really like to know how that happens, that a vendor ships a product and recipient receives an empty package - when its in a supposedly safe middle mans hands. The same happened to me but with USPS early into the shelter in place. My postal carrier handed me an empty box, one that had been opened somewhere in route. That vendor took my word for it and shipped a duplicate product at no cost to me so no claim to deal with, but I'd still like to know where in the delivery chain people have the ability to open mail/packages.

• lascatx
    3 years ago

bbstx, drapery fabric is probably not good face mask fabric -- needs to be tightly woven but breathable and very washable. If washable, it might be better for scrub caps and bonnets. I've been making some of those. I've been making some of those too. My sister and I have both been making masks and Ive been doing the caps and bonnets. If it. is washable, I can probably put it to use one something. If dry clean, I'd try to donate it or put it up for sale on etsy. Etsy has been a good fabric source for me and I know others look there too.

Morz8 -- I had aa friend who did an online business and had a lot of supplies coming in and products going out through the mail. She had a lot of things get "lost." Only one incident was explained -- a truck went off the road in bad weather and she had several packages on it. The others all appeared to be one employee with sticky fingers who was apparently caught - eventually. I think it is rare, but happens.

bbstx thanked lascatx
  • maire_cate
    3 years ago

I went to my local UPS store to pick up a package they were holding for me. As I was leaving a passed another employee and found myself complimenting her on her cute mask. Now that's first for me.

bbstx thanked maire_cate
  • bbstx
    Original Author
    3 years ago

Lascatx, I think I’ll just give it to Goodwill when they re-open.

My sister ordered a bedding set from Pottery Barn for her son’s room. When it arrived, it was an empty box. They sent her another. Then about a month later the first one showed up. She called PB to ask how to return it. They told her to just keep it.

• daisychain Zn3b
    3 years ago

After realizing I wasn't going to get the Johnny Was masks, I ordered 3 mm elastic cording for my homemade masks and it shipped an hour after I ordered it. Hopefully, it will arrive soon and unopened.

• Funkyart
    3 years ago

Daisy, my JOhnny Was masks are to arrive tomorrow-- I would be happy to send you one or two.

Like many of us, I have scads of masks at this point. The ones that work best for me are the linen ones I got from etsy.

bbstx thanked Funkyart
  • Olychick
    3 years ago

My Johnny Was masks arrived today (well, they sat in the mailbox for a couple of days, but I picked them up today) and they are gorgeous! A couple are really fancy-nice enough for a dress-up night out...oh, wait :-(

But they are MADE IN CHINA!!! I couldn't believe it; I thought they were being sewn in the USA. Not sure why I thought that, but very disappointing.

bbstx thanked Olychick
  • terezosa / terriks
    3 years ago

I've made a lot of tank style dresses that I live in in the summer - I wish that I had saved the scraps to make matching masks. 😕

If I make any more dresses I will definitely make masks to go with them.

bbstx thanked terezosa / terriks
  • daisychain Zn3b
    3 years ago

That is so kind funky art. let Me contact the company first and see if they will send more. ETA I love the idea of matching dress and mask but hate the idea that this is the new normal.

• bbstx
    Original Author
    3 years ago

@Olychick, Lysol makes a laundry sanitizer that doesn’t bleach. I’ll be washing my masks in the sanitizer when/if I finally get them.

• nosoccermom
    3 years ago

I got mine, and they are very cute and comfy. Now just need to test them ...

bbstx thanked nosoccermom
    3 years ago

Mine arrived yesterday. Love the prints, the fit and quality looks good. Mine are either silk with cotton lining (filter insert pocket) or a silk spandex blend with cotton lining. Out of five patterns, there is one that looks 'Hawaiian' DH could wear without feeling silly.

Although he has olson style and pleated already. And this week he saw an ad for Tommie Copper adjustable ear strap 'antibacterial property' masks. He's a Tommie Copper fan and wears one of the compression sleeves often on his arthritic knee - he's convinced it helps and for the price I have no reason to argue with him ;0). He asked me to order the Tommie Copper masks for him, reasoning we may be wearing them at least occasionally the next several months, and I've done that. I've rec'd a notice of shipped and a USPS tracking number just today so I can't speak to their quality. Plain black, no choices there.

• Olychick
    3 years ago

thanks bbstx - it's not germs on the masks I'm worried about, but the fact that I try really hard to avoid buying things from china and like to support US businesses.

bbstx thanked Olychick
  • bbstx
    Original Author
    3 years ago

Gotcha, @Olychick. I, too, would prefer to support businesses in the USA. But I’m also creeped out by germs.

• bpath
    3 years ago

I love my masks made by a woman in my neighborhood. Quite a few people in town are sewing, then donating or selling. My neighbor’s masks have the nose piece, and a pocket for a filter, and she makes a slightly larger size as well. My DH really likes his slightly larger one. Great fabrics, and both neutral and prettier colors/prints. But, you’re kind of limited to the fabric that any one seamstress is sewing up at the time you want to buy.

bbstx thanked bpath
  • Bunny
    3 years ago

My JW masks arrived today. Made in China. At this point, I have a long list of things that annoy me and this isn't close to the top. Mine are silk blend in front and cotton lining. They fit perfectly.

I made 6 masks last week and even with carefully testing everything, the elastic was too long and I had to make a tiny knot in the back. It doesn't show and now they're perfect.

Still, my favorite masks (most comfortable and allow breathing) are the ones made of disposable pale blue paper fabric.

bbstx thanked Bunny
  • Funkyart
    3 years ago

Sure, Daisy.. just let me know. Ive only opened 2!

• 3katz4me
    3 years ago

I wore mine for the first time today - cute and comfy - once I removed the filter layer I added. I was gasping for air with that in there. I felt relatively unprotected compared with the N95 mask I had been wearing but I never end up close to anyone so I guess I’m doing my part to keep others safe and it’s relatively comfortable to do so.

• OllieJane
    3 years ago

My GF brought over another one for me to try today, with a bigger space between my nose and the mask. It seems to be much much better than the paper one I wore previously.

Sponsored
Hope Restoration & General Contracting
Average rating: 4.7 out of 5 stars35 Reviews
Columbus Design-Build, Kitchen & Bath Remodeling, Historic Renovations