shead

May 2020 Building a Home

shead

I didn't see a new thread started for May but here we are :) Wishing everyone a smooth sailing through May and lots of progress!

• Trish Walter

PAINT SHEEN questions

So I've been leaning towards SATIN on trim doors instead of semi gloss but wondering if should go semi instead?

If I do satin. Can I still paint the interior windows in a semi gloss? or do I do them satin as well?

I was planning flat ceiling eggshell walls and satin trim doors

Thanks.

• snowcountry

My painter likes to do semi gloss on all wood trim and doors and flat to eggshell walls and ceilings.

Knocking down a house and building a new home

We have a number of very upscale historic neighborhoods here, where people are buying older tear-downs and building over them. The new homes are so much more functional and desirable to the market, that the value actually comes out higher than the cost of the lot, the demolition expense, and the cost to rebuild. Now, the houses that are being torn down are 1960-1970 "executive" homes, that were dropped in amongst 1920-1930 mansions, and the new homes are built to the size and scale of the 20's-30's homes. Then again, in my own neighborhood of smaller historic bungalow homes built in the 30's, someone bought a lot, built a 3-story monstrosity over it, and can't get out of that house to save their lives. The market didn't support it. Talk to professionals in your area. They'll help you with whether your plan in practical.

Building a new house...help with my kitchen

If you are doing an all white kitchen I recommend a medium to dark hardwood floor- it will be a great backdrop to all of the white. Are you doing totally custom cabinets? If not, you will be limited to the whites the cabinet company offers. There are, I believe, 84 shades of white. Stick with whites in the same hue. For example, if the white you like best has a "cool" hue, stick with grays, blues and greens. If the white you like has a "warm" hue, yellows, reds and oranges will look best. Good luck!

Building an "off grid" home? Your build could be featured on TV!

We are currently casting for a tv show for a major US network and looking for anyone who is building an off the grid home. We are looking for: -Sites that are in remote areas of the US. -Self sustainability -Green -Solar powered, wind powered etc,. -Ideally homes that have not started the foundation process If you know of any builders or friends who may be building a home soon, have them respond to this ad or email me at: jim.nguyen@triconfilms.com A major contribution will be made to the construction of the home.

New Build - House Plan Review

Thanks for the comments guys! Yes - I have been worried about wasted space in the area just past the entry. I dont think it would be very useful for any furniture pieces. I designed it that way to try and keep the angles clean. I envision that my family and i will enter into the garage almost 100% of the time. That being said company would use the front door. I was planning a short 6' long half height wall/banister to try and segregate that entrance from the living room but I agree that entrance is cramped for space if we are entertaining. Especially with the bedroom doorway being right there. I think i will be taking you up on your suggestion of finding an architect to re-approach things. A small amount of $ for big improvements!
  • cd7733

Paint sheen from easiest to clean to awful to clean: gloss, semi-gloss, satin, eggshell, flat.

Semi-gloss is a lot easier to clean which is why it's traditionally used on cabinets, baseboards, trim, and doors that are dirt magnets. The previous owners of our first house did a spit-shine job and touched up most of the baseboards with low-sheen paint (could've been flat or eggshell but definitely not semi-gloss). My dogs did a number on certain areas and every time I'd wipe off the grime, I'd take paint with it! It looked awful. When I finally repainted it with semi-gloss, I could wipe off the dirt with a baby wipe.

Our spec home has eggshell walls and flat white ceilings. Our new build has eggshell walls and ceiling in same color. All have semi-gloss trim.

• K H

All of the trim should be the same sheen, that includes windows because the jamb extensions butt up against the window trim. Some people do like to mix and match wood trim with white vinyl windows but I think it looks better all the same. That is my opinion though. I think using the same color gave me more flexibility to decorate.

• Trish Walter

thanks all!

• Trish Walter

where is everyone? check in. post pics.

• shead

Our windows are in and most of our roof is now on. Our wood burning fireplace insert came today and was set in place. We do our electrical walkthrough Thursday morning. That has me stressed right now trying to decide what kind of lights and plugs and where they need to go... so many decisions 😣

• Christopher Kranich

This past week, the framers added the ceiling for the second level of our townhouse. Looks like they’ll add the exterior plywood and then start framing the third floor sometime soon.

It’s been hot and dry here in the Bay Area the last few days. One of our future neighbors was out walking in the neighborhood and helped put out a mulch fire kind of close to our new house. Good thing it didn’t all burn down.

• N Kay

Insulation goes in tomorrow (or starts anyway) - foam on the ceiling and whatever recycled stuff they are blowing in on the walls. We are still in a holding pattern on septic. Waiting for roofer to free up and siding to get started - no idea on eta for that.

@shead our electrician pretty much had us figured out - there were only a couple of small things we tweaked initially - more was tweaked as his guys worked and we got to get a sense of his plan vs our builders vision and our expected usage.

• N Kay

@Christopher Kranich Fire season sucks!! I hope you don't have another horrible dry fire year :(

• Trish Walter

@shead it was stressful. think about location on the wall for switches etc. It is overwhelming but you can change your mind after the walkthrough so don't stress too much. They do like.

Think about where you would want to turn on/off the lights. I know in our current house on our stairs to our bonus room we had the stairway light on the downstairs and upstairs but the bonus room light only upstairs It always drove us crazy that we couldn't turn the room light off from down stairs.

Think about where you will store a vacuum that might need to be plugged in. Think about lowering outlets on backsplash.

I didn't realize they were required on the island. That was annoying. So we had cabinet maker hide them [hopefully] on back below stone.

Think about where you will have lamps in bedrooms and living space.

Christmas lights? Inside and outside options.

Any reason for outlets near mantle?

Also outlets in closet if you charge devices.

Have fun! You are moving right along! Wow.

• snowcountry

My elec trial walk through was intense, over two hours. How can anyone think things through for so long? I am sure a lot of mistakes were made.

• Trish Walter

@snowcountry ours was super long too. And we had pre-marked up plans!

• shead

Thanks, guys! I've been going over our blueprint for a couple of weeks now marking for light fixtures and fans and trying to make decisions on those. DH and I did a trial walk-through this afternoon just to make sure he and I were on the same wavelength...lol. For instance, he saw no need for three separate sconce lights over each of the three windows over my kitchen sink thought that was overkill - ha! But, wanna guess who won that one ;) I still need to figure out about audio and video camera wiring, too, but Home Theatre Direct is supposed to be doing a free plan but I've not heard back from them yet :/

• snowcountry

I got an email that they were coloring the concrete floor soon. Out of blue. It will be permanent and I don't have much time to look around. It is not just the color, some will translucent than others. My PM didn't even tell me until I probed. He was just going to apply a mahogany. "Mahogany" color is all different depending on the stain brand. Ugggggg

• cd7733

The final appraisal came in Friday, then holiday, and slow paper pusher lenders: sooo closing is moved to Thursday.

What we thought was dirty grout on our main flooring turned out to be a fluke in the actual grout coloring... Our dark brown grout turned ashy, splotchy gray. It looks awful. They think the sponge to wipe off excess had too much water and diluted the dye. The solution is for them to stain it. We told them to do a test patch in the dining room since it can be covered by a rug. I really hope it all works out. Our builder knows we're fed up with the tile people but says this happens a lot with dark grout and he actually likes to pick 2 to 3 shades darker to make up for it.

• Sherryl

Looking for an off-white wavy approx. 2 1/2” x 8” subway tile for the kitchen backsplash. I thought I saw someone post they found one at Daltile. Our builder uses Daltile, but I didn’t find that size. I’ve looked everywhere! We have exactly what I want in our current home, but that particular one is no longer available. The 3” x 6” seems too small. Any suggestions? TIA!

• Trish Walter

@Sherryl daltile doesn't seem to have a subway in that size. are you able to get elsewhere?

• Sherryl

Not so far. The closest is 3 x 12. It’s ok, but 8 or 9 long is better. Are you using subway? Someone mentioned it somewhere in this thread or last month I think.

• Trish Walter

I am using subway in bathrooms but 4x10 and 4x16 and not wavy or off white. So not helpful. Sorry.

I can find wavy off white 2.5x8 in other brands with a quick google but not daltile.

• K H

@Sherryl i posted some from tilebar. Montauk gin is 2x8

• Rower 76

@Sherryl I have a sample of the Montauk Gin from tile bar. It's super pretty, but I recommend getting a sample. It's very pearlescent but stunning. Tile Bar is awesome at sending samples really cheap!

• Sherryl

Thank you! I actually have quite a few from Tile Bar, and, yes, it’s too white. But thank you!

• Kirsten E.

Things are pretty busy over here as we pack up our west coast lives and prepare to head to the Midwest! We’re supposed to be closing next week, but it will be a photo finish...We’ll be in the house either way, but I would loooove for all the paperwork to be wrapped up the second we land (wet signatures are required, so we couldn’t close long distance). Even more so, I don’t want them to have to be in the house once we’ve moved in with our four critters...crossing all my fingers and toes the next week goes smoothly! And wishing the same for you @cd7733!

• Trish Walter

@Kirsten E. welcome to the Midwest! Can't wait for pictures!

• cd7733

Congrats @Kirsten E. and thank you!! I hope your move is easy and your closing goes smoothly!!

• N Kay

@Kirsten E. wishing you smooth sailing to the finish!

• Kirsten E.

Thank you all!! I’m so excited to be able share final photos soon! The excitement is helping me push through the moving pains haha

• Trish Walter
    yesterday

We finally got our draw approved. Woo Hoo.

That only took a month. It should be smoother now.

Now to find a replacement tub because one I ordered back in FEB keeps getting backordered.

• Ashley Renfroe
    yesterday

I first posted in this thread earlier in the year. My husband and I are finally making an appointment with the architect in a few weeks. We are hoping to meet with him the third week of June. We were held up waiting to see if we would be able to buy our dream piece of land, and we are in the process of closing on that land now. It seems so surreal that we are SO CLOSE to starting this process. It’s been a dream of mine since I was a kid. So excited. Reality will hit soon I know, but for now I’m just feeling excited!

• cd7733
    yesterday

Okay, y'all. Closing is set for Friday!!

The grout... The tile people are going to use UltraCare Grout Refresh in the color the grout was suppose to be. I read up on it, watched numerous youtube videos, and am okay with this. We met with the builder after they did a patch test in the pantry and hall closet. It looks great, but... after "mopping the floor 5 times" (says the tile people) the floor is still icky. Our builder even came in today with white socks to see how dirty the floor was!! (His socks were dark brown... Yuck.)

Sooooooo, both he and us decided the tile people need to come in and mop with plain ol' soap and hot water. Then, mop again with hot water, and the next day color the grout. Our main fear was painting dirty grout and it not "taking."

And that's where we're at! Prayerfully, landscaping will get put in tomorrow or Friday and sod soon after. Our weather down here as been crazy!

• strategery
    yesterday

@Differenza Homes, that looks absolutely un-custom. What sort of custom builder would post their client's custom plans on a free anonymous forum?

• snowcountry
    yesterday

Is anyone doing concrete slab floor? How do you choose a color to stain the floor?

• cd7733
    yesterday

Are you staining yourself or hiring out? In Texas, it's quite popular and the stainers have galleries to view and color charts. I personally like a medium to dark brown stain, like Cola or Vintage Umber:

https://texasstainedconcrete.com/color-charts/

Differenza Homes
    yesterday
    last modified: yesterday

@strategery sorry but those are not formal plans of any kind I’m not sure where you would get that especially being on a public forum as you mentioned. That was a think tank sketch off a set of plan the owners originally had and wanted to customize. The point was to wish the building community a prosperous season during uncertain times. Thank you.

• Trish Walter
    yesterday
    last modified: yesterday

@snowcountry where are you doing concrete? whole house? if so I'd go neutral brown or gray.

What colors are you leaning toward? We are thinking of doing our basement...trying to save money and going for 'industrial' look to semi-finish it.

• snowcountry
    yesterday
    last modified: yesterday

@cd7733 I am hiring out. I like brown, too. I thought I'd go a bit dark, maybe walnut. There are huge south face windows and I need to make the room a bit dark. Also, deep brown could tie different styles in the house. Is Kemiko a good brand to go with? How do I educate myself about concrete floors? Do you do matte or glossy? It sounded like there are multiple steps, polish it, stain it and floss it finish it? Each step may need a decision but they are rushing it on. I am not too happy about it.

@Trish Walter Yup the whole house. I saw pictures of mahogany stain and they were gorgeous.

• cd7733
    yesterday

I wish I could help you more @snowcountry! I'm sorry! I only know it's a complicated process with some being more complex than others. There are some in Houston that will only work at the beginning of construction (and protect the floors the entire build) and others that wait and finish before walls are painted. My friends took it on themselves and had pretty decent results, but boy oh boy was it a mess and a lot of clean up (and repainting walls) afterwards.

• Amy Gonzalez
    yesterday

@snowcountry I would go with a epoxy sealer and a acid based stain. We have stained and stamped concrete with a epoxy sealer and hate it. The higher gloss finishes show more scratches in the sunlight too

• snowcountry
    yesterday

@Amy GonzalezDo you or do you not like epoxy sealer? Is Kemiko widely used brand for concrete stain? It sounded like it is less toxic.

• shead
    yesterday

It looks like Houzz has the comments all messed up now... For me, newest comments are at the top instead of the bottom and if I change the "Sort by:" to Oldest, it shows the first comments on the thread and you have to keep clicking "See XXX more comments" to finally get to the bottom! Is is that way for you all?

• Amy Gonzalez
    yesterday

@snowcountry go with epoxy . We have acrylic sealer and have delamination of the sealer. (The sealer traps moisture under it). Stained concrete is not a no fuss flooring. It will require maintenance because the sealer does scratch. We have the cola stain from kemiko and it holds up well.

• Rachel
    yesterday

Did you do easycloset design and installation yourselves or did you hire a conractor?

• NewEnglandgal
    23 hours ago

Hey everyone been out of commission since my shoulder surgery 5 weeks ago. Still having pain and going to PT. NOT FUN. Kristen and cd wishing you the best with your moving! Everyone seems to be coming along. I love seeing the changes and the choices everyone is making. Summer is upon us already. Hoping for good weather for everyone so your builds can continue without interruption.

• Trish Walter
    23 hours ago

@Rachel my husband installed our easycloset it was years ago but he had no issues.

he's fairly handy.

• shead
    13 hours ago

Whew, what a day! Started out at 8 am meeting with builder and electrician for what I thought was going to be a walk-through with a couple of days time to mull over the decisions and make necessary changes to placements, etc. WRONG! The electrician's 5 man crew rolled in and started pulling wires and nailing boxes as soon as we got the first room done...lol. I'm not complaining but it was a crazy, rushed feeling that by the end, I was kinda like, "Just do whatever...." as far as plugs go especially when we hit the 3 hour mark. The good thing is that the electrician is super friendly and had some good ideas. He also seems like he won't make a big deal about moving something if I need him to especially if the builder isn't onsite ;)

The framing crew finished up and are moving to the next house. Our exterior doors were set today, roof is on, fireplace in so the next few weeks will be for the mechanicals to go in. Drywall should start in about three weeks :)

• strategery
    12 hours ago

@shead, 'I was kinda like, "Just do whatever...."' is not a an adult reaction, and especially not a custom build client recipe for success. You need more time? Take more time.

• K H
    11 hours ago
    last modified: 11 hours ago

Well I’m exhausted! We have had so many trades come back to fix their mistakes this week. I just can’t believe people expect to get paid for shoddy work! On a happier note our living room is large enough for a sofa and recline! I thought we would only have room for a sectional but I think I need to buy some more furniture!

@shead that is good advice strategery is suggesting. I left a few things up to my electrician. Some I really liked others I missed and should have made some minor changes but my focus moved on to something else and I missed it. Be sure to triple check everything before you drywall.

• shead
    2 hours ago

@strategery and @K H, truly, the "whatever" things were of little consequence :) I had the big things already marked on the plan. Since plug spacing has to follow Code and be every so many feet, I really didn't care if the plug was on the right side of the stud or the left. And like I said, we spent 3 LONG hours on it as the electrician was very thorough.

• Trish Walter
    38 minutes ago
    last modified: 11 minutes ago

cabinets are being custom made and he said i need to select hardware.

i am not sure how one selects hardware without the cabinets?

I think I'll tell him that I'll handle that. I don't need to have to decide right now.

@shead i feel ya. it was exhausting and they didn't do it right then. that would have added an extra level of stress for sure. it will all work out. ignore the snark.