popmama

Forgotten tuber

popmama

This is the only dahlia I over-wintered last year. Mostly I have had little to no success overwintering so I just gave up on it. But this one is a huge tuber that I successfully overwintered the previous year. I forgot about it this year. I guess it didn't forget that it was time to grow. It has in plastic bag, inside a a styrofoam cooler, in my garage since last Fall.

• Main St Garden PA z6

@popmama Wow! What did you do with this tuber?? I have read that you are supposed to cut back the growing buds if they are more than an inch long, before planting in the ground or potting it up. Did you plant this monster? Very curious!

popmama thanked Main St Garden PA z6
  • popmama

I was wondering what I should do. I did end up just potting it the way it was. I think one stem fell off on its own because it was so spindly from lack of light. One of the stems that had grown super-tall seems to be permanently curved. So I think I will go ahead and cut it.

• popmama

Update. Here is what it looks like today.

Next year I am either going to have to learn how to divide the giant tuber or put this in a larger pot. The pot is insufficient for its size.

Pinelands Princess

• CT Garden

wow it recovered beautifully! gorgeous dahlia!

popmama thanked CT Garden