Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
jenney512

Design Help on Fireplaca Mantel and Sides

jenney512
3 years ago

Hello. I’ve been rummaging through Houzz and Pinterest for ideas on what to do with this space and feel very overwhelmed.
The only thing I’ve decided is to install a simple wooden mantel above the fireplace. I’m not sure what to do with the sides. The shorter side (left) is 41” wide and 9’ high. That is where the cable TV hookup was installed so we would need a cabinet to house the cable box and DVD player. I’d like to have a cohesive and clean look to this area but don’t know how to put it together.
I welcome all recommendations. Thank you in advance!

Comments (9)

• jck910
    3 years ago

I would want the TV on the right side. Can you post pictures of the entire room?

• PRO
    BeverlyFLADeziner
    3 years ago

You have options for the wall.

• PRO
    Pillar Construction
    3 years ago

I can't zoom in close enough, but it appears that there is connection to mount the TV over the fireplace, which would make the most sense, as the TV and/or the fireplace are the focal point. The left side is way too small. When it comes to design and appreciation, it would be important to note whether or not you like the room as is, or not at all. Even designers have preferences. To help you in this situation would take more than a comment. Would be glad to help if you are interested.

• jenney512
    Original Author
    3 years ago

@BeverlyFLADeziner
    Thank you for the visual feedback. The cable plugs were installed for the TV to be set above the fireplace. I like the idea of a few floating shelves on either side but would need something to store the cable box and DVD player.

@Pillar Construction
    Yes, the TV connection was installed to be set above the fireplace. Since the left side is more narrow than the right, I’m just looking for ideas to make is look balanced.

@jck910
    This is the other side of the room. It’s an open living area.

• PRO
    BeverlyFLADeziner
    3 years ago

Wires can be moved easily. You are not required to set the TV above the fireplace. It's not the optimum height for viewing. Also, shelves along the sides should NOT be considered unless you have something lovely to show.

Still using cable huh? Have you considered changing to streaming? No boxes to store.

• felizlady
    3 years ago

Don’t put the mantel too high or the tv will be too high. I personally prefer art over a fireplace and the tv on a console in the larger space on the right. I would consider replacing the beige tile with light-color stone tile which is a bit more current.

• lefty47
    3 years ago

HI -- Keep that wall more minimal . I would reface the fireplace with a full panel of marble or granite and not have a mantel . And not have the TV on the fireplace . The right side looks like the best side for the TV , with an interesting console , bought or best , a built -in . If you do a built -in then a floating one off the floor . Then there are several things to do with the other side such as Art Sculpture on a pedestal or framed art or a huge plant /tree etc. Look at Houseandhome.com for more great ideas .

• PRO
    Patricia Colwell Consulting
    3 years ago

This is a nice simple FP please do not clutter the walls with a buch of stuff mainly best hidden Put the TV on the right side with a cabinet to hold all the “stuff” but low enough to hold the TV at the proper height for viewing. That is center of screen at eye level when seated. Hang a great piece of art above the FP to hide the electrical there BTW easy to change the plug and cable outlet. If you want a mantel then a nice thick wood one just at the end of the tile As for the left side a tall sculpture , a vertical piece of art or if you have some fab pieces to display some thick shelves like the mantel in that space.

Sponsored
Fineline Deck Builders
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars11 Reviews
Women Owned Construction Company Specializing in High Quality Decks