Software
Houzz Logo Print
webuser_767441692

Should I Apply Scott's Weed and Feed after a Fall Overseeding?

6 years ago

Hi everyone,


This may seem like a stupid question, but I had my lawn aerated and overseeded last fall.


We have had a very cool spring here in the Northeast and I am not sure if the seed planted last year has fully grown in, but I wanted to attack the weeds which HAVE flourished.


For this particular situation, is the Weed and Feed product a bad idea and should I stick to just a feeding and try to attack the weeds a different way? I don't want to hamper the growth of the young grass


Thanks for any feedback.

Comments (2)

  • 6 years ago

    " is the Weed and Feed product a bad idea"


    Yes, but mostly because the product itself is a bad idea overall. It's simply not a very good product.

    It's currently still a little too early to feed as of yet, but it's also getting to be time (and even a bit late) to start fighting weeds, which you should always be battling as early as possible. Weed and Feed always does both events at the wrong time--weeds after they already seeded if you feed at the right time, or the lawn long before it should be fed if you kill weeds at the right time.

    That doesn't even discuss tossing herbicides around wholesale at areas of grass that don't have weed problems. Sometimes it's warranted in lawns that can be best described as "weed farms." Usually, it's not as lawns are patches of bad areas and areas that are fine.

    Or the fact that they use a wide-spectrum herbicide that isn't tuned for the weeds you actually have--not even as well as choosing between Weed Be Gon or Weed Be Gon Clover, Chickweed and Oxalis. :-)

    So the short answer is, yes, it's a bad product.


    Pick up a one gallon sprayer and a good weed killer that covers the weeds you have (and a hose-end sprayer if you really do have the weed farm I described above). Spray the areas of the lawn that are bad. Do this as soon as you can. Today by preference to kill the weeds out before they can seed any more than they already did.

    Also mix up the concentrate you buy into that one gallon sprayer and spot spray the weeds you see when you mow. Because you will see them, and that's not something you could do with Weed and Feed and you can do this all summer and fall.

    Also pick up a good lawn food without any herbicides in it. Feed the lawn around Memorial Day once the spring flush of growth is over--about two weeks from now when temperatures are warmer than they are now, but not yet summer-hot.


    Feed again on Labor Day, October 1, and again when the lawn growth stops but the lawn is still green (usually November 1 to Thanksgiving Day, depending on the year).

    Nick S thanked User
  • 6 years ago
    last modified: 6 years ago

    Wow, what an excellent reply.!

    Thanks, you have saved me aggravation, time, and money.

    I have an herbicide sprayer tank and have used for just such an approach in previous years. I was trying to save myself some time and effort. I also have the hose sprayer type feeder and I know products are sold that attach to the hose itself. Have used both over the years, so I will choose which one to use.

    The weeds aren't horrendous this year but it is only a matter of time as the temps start to increase.

    Thanks again!