Software
Houzz Logo Print
port2015

Installing a Lawn on a Slope Revisited /Progress Made / Question Asked

6 years ago

Hi,

Central Massachusetts Zone 5b.

It's been 30 days since I started my project of growing a lawn on a slope and this is the progress I have made.

Started on April 16, 2020 Jute Netting was installed and Jonathan Green's Black Beauty Ultra Grass Seed along with Scott's Starter Fertilizer with weed preventer were spread





30 Days Later May 16, 2020




I feel it's going okay. The temperatures have not been as warm as I had hoped for.

Today the soil temperature is 64F; but the average soil temperature for the last 5 days has been 51F.

Early next week the weather forecast is calling for air temperatures to be 60F during the day with the lows around 40F at night.

I plan on fertilizing again on Memorial Day with the Scott's Starter Fertilizer with weed preventer.


Do you think I should re-seed the really thin areas where the grass seed may have washed away from either heavy rain or the run-off from the irrigation system?


Pictures of Thin Areas






Thanks


Comments (7)

  • 6 years ago

    You have done far, far better than I would have expected you would.

    I'm going to say no, don't reseed; this seed is still coming in at the temperatures you're reporting, and probably will for the next week or two, right up to Memorial Day. After that, it's going to be too late to seed, and I wouldn't bother. Feed it then, and ride it through the summer as best you can, seeding anything that's thin in mid-August as summer begins to fade.

    Yes, it's inconvenient, yes, you're probably going to have to patch soil that erodes. And yes, it's not going to look great. And yes, you're absolutely going to have to water that through the summer to keep it alive. Unfortunately, that's what happens with spring seedings.


  • 6 years ago

    If it's any consolation, when I say "far, far better" I mean it really looks great. With the ice-cold spring we've had, I'm just putting my gardens in now. I have five flowers in 2,000 square feet.

    For a lawn that's really just sprouting, it looks amazing, and if we get a nice cool summer (I haven't seen anything) with plenty of rain, it should do very well. Up where you are, you should be able to water it through.

    What looks sparse now is just a baby. Like a baby, it needs care. It'll be along.

  • 6 years ago

    I will continue to post monthly.

    The jute netting is a huge factor in the success I am having; in the past with heavy rains the hill would have washed out.

    I look forward to seeing how well the lawn does,

    I can not thank you enough for all of your knowledge you share.

    It is deeply appreciated.

    Thanks again

  • 6 years ago

    Things are still moving along fairly well with the coverage and growth of the newly seeded areas.

    I haven't needed to mow thus far, maybe in a bout a week.

    The grass is tall in some areas but the majority is not falling over quite yet.

    The Scott's Starter Fertilizer with the Weed and Crabgrass Preventer has working fairly well so far. There is some crabgrass and other lawn weeds here and there but it's not wide spread.

    I do have a question though,

    What can I use as a weed and crabgrass suppressant that will not be harmful to the new grass and will not interfere with a fall over-seeding?

    Thanks


  • 6 years ago

    Tenacity is labeled for newly seeded lawns (you can even apply at planting) and is effective for crabgrass and some other grassy weeds as well as broadleaf weeds. It also works as a pre emergent but won’t stop you from overseeding in August

    port2015 thanked S B
  • 6 years ago
    last modified: 6 years ago

    Day 53 update since the jute netting was installed and the slope and surrounding areas were re-seeded.

    I mowed for the first time yesterday.

    The watering schedule I used was 7 minutes per zone, three times per day; at 5:30am, 11am, and 4pm.

    The question I have now; is what would you recommend for a watering schedule to maintain the lawn through the summer months now that the germination and growth period are established?

    I have attached a few photos to show the progress made.