Software
Houzz Logo Print
meemawseesaw1

Flat screen TV in kitchen

6 years ago

I know this is an unpopular opinion, but it’s my kitchen :-) and i want a small tv in there. I cook a ton from scratch, it’s my happy place. I like the news on in the morning while I’m making coffee, something on when I’m baking, cooking dinner etc.


anyway, going with a small wall mount flat screen. I am not technologically savvy at all - it there such a thing as wireless cable? Will I need a cable box? Any other tips? Thank you.

Comments (14)

  • 6 years ago

    This should probably be posted under "Electronics", but here goes with my questions:

    Do you have TV service now? Are you looking for regular TV service, or network TV (such as Netflix)? Do you have a smart phone and, if so, can you get your morning news programs on it?

  • 6 years ago

    Netflix is network? lol

  • 6 years ago

    @mtvhike yes we have tv service currently in our home, yes to Netflix and yes I could put an app on my phone from local news station. So how do I set up a small flatscreen in my kitchen?


    and oops. - I posted this in kitchen and electrical wiring - didn’t see an electronics board

  • 6 years ago

    Hi meemaw. Where are you planning to have your screen? Will it be in a cabinet, on a counter, or hanging on a wall or from the ceiling?

    Once you know where you want it, you need an outlet, then you call your cable company and tell them you want to add a screen. They will wire the cable to your screen.




    meemawseesaw1 thanked eam44
  • 6 years ago

    Get an iPad. It's portable so you can use it where ever you want. Don't go to the expense and hassle of doing anything permanently built-in.

    meemawseesaw1 thanked greg_2015
  • 6 years ago

    If you want to only stream & you have a wi-fi router you can get a Roku, or Amazon Fire Stick, or Apple TV. No connection to cable needed. If you need cable connection, see one of the answers above.

    meemawseesaw1 thanked Mike C
  • 6 years ago

    With my iPad, and Verizon Fios app, I can watch tv from any room in the house via WiFi. No wires needed. I’ve also got apps like Netflix, Hulu, Prime, and Acorn TV (programs from the UK, like BritBox), on the iPad. I just set it up, wherever I am. If you’re looking for wireless, that’s the way to go.

  • 6 years ago
    last modified: 6 years ago

    I have a flat screen TV in my kitchen. The biggest issue I have is finding small ones. You can find 24" ones but most are larger.

    As for the wiring, many of the cable companies do offer wireless "set top" boxes. I know that both DirecTV and Dish have wireless options. If yours doesn't their are little wireless HDMI links you can use. I have one from IOGear that I use to feed the HDMI projector.

  • 6 years ago
    1. Be sure that everything you want to watch is available from a Roku stick or Amazon Fire stick over Wi-fi.
    2. Know where you want to place the TV and make sure there's an electrical outlet nearby.
    3. Buy a small (e.g., 15.6") computer monitor such as this Asus VT168H. Make sure the monitor has an HDMI connector, supports a VESA mount, and there is room for it on the wall.
    4. Buy a VESA mount of the size required by the monitor. For example 75mm x 75mm for the Asus one (example). The are other mounts that let you adjust the angle of the monitor but they require more room behind the monitor.
    5. Buy a Roku stick or Amazon Fire Stick.
    6. Attach the monitor to the mount, the mount to the wall, and plug the stick into the monitor's HDMI port.
    7. Set up the stick.
  • 6 years ago

    When I used Netflix as "network TV", I simply meant an example of an internet-connected entertainment service. I have DirecTV and it's wireless option does NOT include all TV stations, especially some that carry local news.

  • 6 years ago
    last modified: 6 years ago

    It's "streaming" service doesn't, but they make a wireless genie device that lets you watch the full complement of satellite signals without an actual physical connection to the dish (or the main genie).

    It's tiny enough you can hide it behind most tv's.

  • 3 years ago
    last modified: 2 years ago

    Hey, it's your kitchen, and your happy place, so you should absolutely have a TV there if that's what makes you happy! For your setup, you might want to consider a smart TV or a streaming device like a Firestick. That way, you can access news and your favorite shows without needing a cable box. Plus, with something like soplayer, you can make the most of your streaming experience. It's user-friendly and can enhance your viewing options.