aptz

Copra and Dixondale

aptz

I read from Dixondale the following quote "Copra seed is in high demand currently and Dixondale Farms has purchased all available seed production at this time."

Is this correct?

• OldDutch

I don't think you are going to find any reputable seed house that has been able to get hybrid Copra seed. They are all offering hybrid Patterson as replacement. Dixondale looks like the only outlet and they were only offering plants. I am going to switch to Clear Dawn from FEDCO, once they restock. That is supposed to be an open pollinated decedent selected out of Copra. I have had a number of favorite hybrid seed varieties get discontinued on me over the years. I don't like it much.

• kevin9408

No. Copra was discontinued by the patent holder and the seeds aren't available anywhere. We don't know what arrangement or deal dixondale made with the patent holder of copra but they did. But greedy dixondale won't even sell the seeds, only plant bunches, Jerks is all I can say.

I stocked up on Copra seeds three years ago and used the rest of my Copra seeds this year. I also planted Patterson to see how they keep and taste and hope they compare to copra, but Old dutch said someone stabilized copra and are selling seeds but forgot the name.

Don't by high buck onion bunches from dixidopes, a boycott is needed here, and in fact won't buy anything from them.

• Donna R

I have ordered from Dixondale for years, and they have always been good sellers. I find their prices are very good and their onions are great.

Calling for a boycott on a seller is rather extreme..they haven't done anything wrong, or illegal. If you were in business, and had the chance to lock down something you knew would be in demand, you'd do it, too..not a crime..someone had to buy the seed.

Also,,Dixondale never sold seed...so you can't hold that against them...their business has always been selling bunches they grew from seed themselves.

• wcthomas

I agree with Donna. I have bought onion plants from Dixondale for 13 years and they are a fine company with excellent quality and service. Their plants have produced better onions than any I ever started from seed. One year my crop was hit by a fungal disease from excessive rain. I wrote to ask them a question about it and they replaced my full order at no charge. They are in the business of selling onion plants, not seeds, and the notion of a boycott is absurd. I suggest a "buycott" instead.

• LoneJack Zn 6a, KC

I won't be boycotting Dixondale either. They are a great company with a great product. I've never purchased directly from them as my favorite local gardening store gets a huge order from them every March with about a dozen varieties offered. $3.50 per bunch is what they sold them for this year.

I've grown Copra a couple times but now I just stick with Candy, Red Candy, and Superstar.

• OldDutch

I don't blame Dixondale for buying up the last of the developer's discontinued seed. Copra was well known and well liked by so many. I don't see any ethical problem buying Copra plants from them, if they have them available next spring. It is not Dixondale I would blame but rather the developer who decided to kill Copra off rather than continuing or even selling the patent to someone who would. Dixondale is actually extending the Copra availability.

FEDCO in Maine is selling Clear Dawn seed, supposedly an OP stabilized out of Copra. But currently they are sold out. I have a mixed group of plants out now of Copra and Clear Dawn and I can't tell them apart. I also have Clear Dawn seed from this year; so I should be able to get germination next winter, even if FEDCO cannot get resupplied.

• kevin9408

Seriously folks, I really didn't think my cheap talk about a boycott would strike a nerve here. I agree, it was nonsense and retract my call for a boycott on Dixondale, but it's not like I called for a boycott on Goya foods or something out of disgust is it?