Software
Houzz Logo Print
lanijett

Double storey void - no personality - help!

13 years ago
We have a double storey void. The room has an abundance of light flowing in. What would you do with the wall? Fireplace - full length - stone? Colours and what about those windows. They are big. How should I dress them? Thank you

Comments (20)

  • PRO
    13 years ago
    Do you mean the wall where the furniture is? What is that white thing above it? If you mean that wall...I say yes to a full length fireplace with an amazing abstract piece of art over it.
  • 13 years ago
    Hi - yes, where the furniture is. The buffet will have to go - at least the top part will need to be moved off and possibly retain the bottom piece for another room. The white thing is a reverse cycle air conditioner which will need to be moved. This type of thing happens when your Husband is left alone with the installers and they choose the easiest wall - lol.
  • PRO
    13 years ago
    Oh yes....I have encountered that before...wherever is easy with no thought for furnishings/wall hangings later....

    I love the first fireplace here:

    http://www.homedit.com/updating-your-old-fireplace-with-a-modern-designed-variety/

    The stone isnt overbearing and it goes well with your flooring.
    lanijett thanked Terracegallery
  • PRO
    13 years ago
    You have a gorgeous open space! I think there's a lot you can do with it. Just looking at the modern room, the buffet doesn't go with it, unless you're going to warm up the space with more traditional furnishings/rugs/etc (either way will look nice).

    I'm an artist and I get a lot of clients who don't know what to do with their super tall walls. My recommendation is to leave the upper part alone, and focus on the bottom 8-10 feet of the wall space. Filling up the space above will pull the viewer's eyes into the empty space, and will look the space look hollow. The trick is to start at eye level, and fill in that space. I recently finished two very large panels for a client who had 25' high ceilings, and we kept it at the bottom 9 feet. Looked great. By the way, I would do the same with curtains and window treatment. I would either leave the upper part of the windows alone, or put very simple white treatment there.

    Check out my work for ideas. I have many originals, and hundreds of configurations of canvas prints that I can print to the size you choose. And of course I take commissions for originals.

    https://www.etsy.com/shop/katshoa

    Is that air conditioner attached to any inside vents or stand alone? Will be difficult to move if attached...
    lanijett thanked Shoa Gallery
  • PRO
    13 years ago
    Did you ever thing of a mobile? or think of a light that also is artwork
  • 13 years ago
    Thank you! I have never seen anything like that before. What a beautiful idea. I appreciate the time to post this. Thank you. Also, love the fireplace suggestions Terracegallery.
  • 13 years ago
    Painting will definitely help some and a lot of wood
  • 13 years ago
    I also suggest bookshelves along the wall with the white thing with pictures above that and wall tapestries
  • PRO
    13 years ago
    last modified: 13 years ago
    I think everything has to be oversized as far as scale for the room, if possible. Large furniture and art and accessories. Nothing too small. Smaller furnishings can work with all other proper scale for accessories etc and needs to be planned.
    Pandan Valley Condo · More Info
  • PRO
    13 years ago
    LB is right...you will need oversized art and furniture....I specialize in custom paintings in HUGE sizes....learn more about commissions:

    http://sharoncummings.wordpress.com/
  • PRO
    13 years ago
    Generous and large yes, but don't think over-sized - You need space around furniture and with a room like that you have a chance to treat every element with respect and care. You want furniture that doesn't overwhelm you. Simple and pure lines are the best for a room like this. Then it is perfectly in its place to keep the beautiful antique side board.
    lanijett thanked Kaja Gam Design, Inc. & KGHome
  • PRO
    13 years ago
    last modified: 13 years ago
    Do you need privacy out that window, if not then a geometric sheer for the uber modern space is a key ingredient in this space. This color is good with your floor.

    From the ceiling of course, and on a roller track, not the grommets or else they will not function well.
    lanijett thanked Serra Design Inc
  • PRO
    13 years ago
    I have not Idea where this house is located however I like natural material furniture in a house like yours like this with sisal rugs.

    Or if you want to go full out 3rd pix
    lanijett thanked Serra Design Inc
  • 13 years ago
    Thank you to everyone for your fabulous suggestions. We live in Perth, Western Australia so our climate is warm. It is similar to California - see pics below..... hoping to borrow some inspiration from our coastline which is a three minute walk from the house. Love the American Hamptons style. The window overlooks a beautiful garden and there is complete privacy as we have hedged the fence (tall). The artwork links are stunning. Thank you for passing them on to me.
  • PRO
    13 years ago
    Love the white sand beach! Just sent off a visitor back to Perth yesterday (the other end of the world, as I call it!). I'm in southern CA but no white sand beaches here.
  • 13 years ago
    Wow! That shows that there is 6 degrees of separation between all of us. The beaches here are divine. The white sand is almost pure white and fine like powder. The beach here was rated in the top 8 in the world. They are very untouched and clean. Having said that, I love the beaches on your side of the world. Very similar. Only difference is we only have a couple of high rise buildings on our beaches - mainly due to population size. Would be nice to have more beach cafe's like you do in the States. Not complaining though.....
  • PRO
    13 years ago
    I love our beaches here too, with the cafes and everything. I lived in a beach community for 25 years and still miss the smells of the beach, but city life isn't too bad either.

    I have many Australian friends, and sell art there as well. I think it's less than 6 degrees probably :-) One of these days I'll accept my friends' invitation and visit there...
  • PRO
    13 years ago
    There are many ways to add texture and scale to the room. A full height stone wall and fireplace is one option. Here is a stone screen wall and textured wood wall from our CS Reading Room.
    CS Reading Room · More Info
    lanijett thanked FINNE Architects
  • 13 years ago
    I love American architecture. Always pushing the boundaries - love this! And the photos supplied. Thank you.