Software
Houzz Logo Print
rachel_lindybrady

Shaw Fireclay vs Kohler Whitehaven - Crazing still an issue?

We are about to start demo for our kitchen renovation and we need to make a decision about a sink. We like Shaw's aesthetics and functionality (no slope), but we are worried about the issues associated with fireclay. The Kohler Whitehaven is still beautiful, appears to have better support/warranty, is more durable, but we don't love the slope.


Are fireclay sinks still facing crazing and cracking issues today?

Comments (15)

  • PRO
    6 years ago

    I'd never buy a fireclay sink. At least if you chip a Whitehaven, you can keep some White Out on it. No fixin' fireclay.

  • 6 years ago

    Thanks for the feedback. I am curious if Rohl/Shaw has done anything to combat the crazing problem or if they are still, more or less, turning a blind an eye. While we are strongly leaning towards the Kohler, we want to understand what kind of odds we have if we do roll the dice on a fireclay

  • PRO
    6 years ago

    It's my understanding that Rohl is still turning a blind eye to the problem. I'm going with the Whitehaven for that reason.

    Rachel Lindy Brady thanked Design Girl
  • 6 years ago
    last modified: 6 years ago

    Have you seen/touched them both in person? I thought I might be interested in both, but when I saw them IRL it was obvious to me that I did not like the cast iron.

    I’ve had 4 fireclay sinks in two different houses and I’ve never had any crazing or cracking.

  • 6 years ago

    @Hillside House - yes, I touched both. We prefer the looks and feel of fireclay but are worried about the potential issues. We have a Cast Iron sink now that is about 30 years old from a previous owner. Looks good as new.

  • 3 years ago

    Reviving this thread as we are trying to make a decision for our kitchen reno. I saw the Whitehaven today and wasn’t loving the side drain or that it didn't appear very deep. I would love to hear everyone’s experiences with both the whitehaven and the Shaws. I am concerned about the staining/longevity of the Whitehaven and want to better understand their ”tempering.” The Shaws Lancaster was gorgeous but I want to better understand the crazing and other risks associated with fireclay. Thanks all!

  • PRO
    3 years ago
    last modified: 3 years ago

    I had the same decision to make and finally chose the Whitehaven. Although the Shaw sink is gorgeous, I have many friends that have crazing and chipping issues. I've had my Whitehaven for about a year and there is not a single mark on it. I do use the bottom racks and I actually prefer the side drain. I like a side drain in a farmhouse sink.

  • 3 years ago
    last modified: 3 years ago

    “I saw the Whitehaven today and wasn’t loving the side drain”

    @bb_capecod I can’t comment on your other questions as I do not have a fireclay or enameled cast iron sink (I have a stainless steel apron front sink). I just want to let you know that a corner offset drain is an advantage in a sink. People seek out sinks with a corner drain. It allows an uninterrupted sink floor where you can set things down without covering the drain. It also allows more open space under the sink for storage because the drainpipe is not down the middle.

  • 3 years ago

    I have a single bowl stainless sink with right rear corner drain. The drain location was a must have. I love it! I can have stuff piled in the sink but never have a problem with that stuff blocking the drain.

    FWIW, I managed to crack a fireclay sink when I poured boiling hot water in the sink. Not that hard to do if you drain pasta in the sink.

  • 3 years ago

    Thank you all! i did more research and now agree on all points that the Whitehaven is the way to go.

  • 2 years ago

    Hi, Curious if you went with the Whitehaven and what your experience has been? I'm in the process of making sink decision myself

  • 2 years ago

    We have had delays (long story) and hope to start very soon. We have not purchased the sink yet but are now leaning towards the Kohler Ironridge. I liked the taller apron and that the back side of the apron doesn’t take up as much depth as the Whitehaven, if that makes sense. I wish the Ironridge had straighter sides that would sit perfectly flush with full overlay cabinet doors like the Whitehaven has.


    Also intrigued by the work station farmhouse sinks but don’t love the look of the ridges that hold the racks, etc.

  • 2 years ago

    We chose the Whitehaven lower apron sink a year ago and feel so lucky everyday to have this sink. The sink depth is perfect for big pots, and the right rear disposal drain is perfect for emptying into while the center of the sink is full of dishes. The sink is gorgeous and gleams in the sunlight.

  • 2 years ago

    We are looking to do some kitchen tweaking and are deciding on the Blanco or the Whitehaven. Both white. I'm just chiming in with my experience with the Kohler sink. We put it in the last house we owned and we were there 5 years. We aren't hard on things. Take care of things. Our white sink was just as spotless and white after 5 years as when it was new. We used the metal grate on the bottom. Didn't leave stuff sitting in the sink. It's probably what we will choose this time. Only looking at other options because I want white and I don't have a laundry sink. So cleaning paintbrushes and other rough stuff will happen in the kitchen sink unfortunately.