Software
Houzz Logo Print
marcy_rademaker

Help! Did I make a mistake?

6 years ago

I thought painting this side of the “island” in our condo would be an improvement, previously it matched the cabinets. Opinions? What would help to tie it in? I welcome all ideas, thank you in advance!

Comments (12)

  • 6 years ago
    last modified: 6 years ago

    Can you still get the matching wood?

    Its not a terrible choice, but it will probably get scuffed up when you sit there.

    Tiling will look out if place. If the paint is not semi gloss, maybe do that.

    This was you can wash it easily.

    ETA I like gray but in this case maybe a deeper color on the walls and island will be more visually pleasing to you.

  • 6 years ago

    I think you’re on the right track. The island area looks much brighter than it must have looked before . If you still want to lighten up the cabinet area, I would suggest a white subway backsplash.

  • 6 years ago

    I think the white you've chosen looks a little stark with the rest of the room, but that might just be lighting issues. Also, I see a cupboard door on the peninsula run of cupboards, facing the dining area..I think that also needs to be painted to match the rest of the peninsula in the light colour.

    Maybe some lighter coloured stools, or, maybe paint the lower portion of the stools to match the colour on the peninsula and leave the seat black (or brown whatever it is now).

    While you're at it, what if you lightened up the pulls on the cabinets to a lighter metal.

    When it comes time to replace the frig....look for counter depth and stainless (to match the range) rather than black.


  • 6 years ago

    Thank you! Helpful and good advice for now and later!👍🏻👍🏻👍🏻

  • 6 years ago

    I think you just picked the wrong color. Is your table there blue? Maybe that or a shade lighter than that. I would suggest different color stools too, they can easily be painted, something like your chairs.

  • 6 years ago

    Actually table is black, chairs match cabinet color in maple. Painting the stools is my next project...thinking about pulling a color from the backsplash. Thoughts?

  • 6 years ago

    Is the colour on the peninsula anywhere near any of the colours in the backsplash? If you are considering painting the stools, then maybe repaint the peninsula as well and choose a beige or cream colour from your backsplash tile. That would likely make it all feel like it blends a little more. It looks to me like the tiles have more than one colour in them. So, you could consider a light cream colour for the peninsula and a darker creamy taupe from the tile for the stools because as I said above....I feel like the white is a bit stark against the counters and other elements in the room.

  • 6 years ago

    I see what you mean, it isn’t too far off, it’s antique white and the backsplash kind of blends with it; it’s also the same color as walls, but painting it more closely to a backsplash color could tie it in....much better! Thank you!

  • 6 years ago
    last modified: 6 years ago

    I like it. Since floors and cabinets are wood and countertop is brown, it is a nice contrast and lightens up the space. No need for buyers remorse!

  • 6 years ago

    I'm thinking that a nice contrast between the floors and the oak cabinets would be to paint the peninsula black. If you like that idea, get some black poster board and tape it to the peninsula to get an idea if you like it or not. These kitchens aren't your exact oak but will give you an idea what the black would look like.



    black island with oak cabinets - Google Search · More Info


    black island with oak cabinets - Google Search · More Info


  • 6 years ago

    I agree with Ted Bixby’s idea for black on island. Another option could be very dark brown. A black would also coordinate with your black appliances.


    If you want to lighten the space, paint the walls a warm white such as BM ‘s Ballet White.. I like BM’s Natura Line.


    Also, if you don’t have under cabinet lighting, bring that in. You could try it out with plug-ins. Easy. And would make a significant difference.


    Stainless appliances are an option for lightening and possible upgrade. The black can work too, though.

  • 6 years ago

    I’m not a fan of the black here. Everything is so dark and then you see a stark white which highlights that darkness. Someone suggested painting that last cabinet too. I would also suggest painting the brackets. Then everything would come together. I would pick a rich color that has some depth but not too dark and not too light. I would avoid beige.
    Then after you are done apply a paste wax to add even more richness. Finish is just as important as color. Good luck.