Software
Houzz Logo Print
dsciontijr

quartz or fireclay a better option for farmhouse sink?

6 years ago

we are doing a renovation in our kitchen and we want a farmhouse sink. we narrowed the material down to a fireclay sink or quartz sink. Anyone have any insight?

thank you.

Comments (12)

  • 6 years ago

    I don’t have either, but I did just read about some fireclay farmhouse sinks that are guaranteed to not stain, chip etc.

    dsciontijr thanked jk113
  • 6 years ago
    last modified: 6 years ago

    to itsourcasa

    Do you have a garbage disposal? I read that if you have a garbage disposal they can crack. Did you read that?

    see below...

    Thank you for your replies.

  • 6 years ago

    3. Fireclay Sinks

    Similar looking to porcelain-enamel, fireclay sinks are made of clay and minerals and then fired at extreme temperatures. Like cast iron, fireclay can chip with enough weight or force, but it does not run the risk of rusting. It is also not recommended for use with a garbage disposal as it is prone to cracking or crazing due to the vibrations. If a garbage disposal is a must, consider an alternative material.

  • 6 years ago
    last modified: 6 years ago

    Don’t buy a Fireclay sink. Use the search box above and you can read all about them. In fact, feel free to search for apron sinks and you will fin a lot of threads like this one.

    The only materials to really consider are: solid surface, really well made copper, or brushed stainless steel - get stainless steel. Solid surface can develop microabrasions that make it looked stained, but it can be refinished (still, it can look pretty stained). Copper has issues with patina and acids, and it has to be fabricated to drain properly or you get marks in the sink. Brushed stainless steel is pretty bulletproof.




    dsciontijr thanked eam44
  • 6 years ago
    last modified: 6 years ago

    I’ve never had an issue with a disposal/fireclay combo, in two different houses.

    dsciontijr thanked Hillside House
  • 6 years ago

    Yup we have a disposal, use it several times a day, no issues.

  • 6 years ago

    Fireclay sinks like this one from Signature Hardware can even be customized with a garbage disposal flange

    https://www.signaturehardware.com/30-torun-fireclay-farmhouse-sink-white.html

  • 6 years ago

    @Brooklyn, that doesn’t mean the sink won’t crack adjacent to the flange. Your situation is a little different that the OA’s I think. You have already bought a fireclay sink and just learned this morning (from my post on your thread) that fireclay sinks can crack. You are trying to make the best of the choices you have already made. I hope it works out for you.

    @dsciontijr, you are doing your homework here first. To you I would say regarding fireclay, buy it if you want it, replace it if you need to, but be realistic in your expectations and go into the purchase with your eyes open.

    Since others are sharing their anecdotes, here is @bevzo’s experience:

    ”Chips began to appear about one month into use. Then the base slowly developed a scuffed appearance and stains easily, and then a full thickness crack that just developed out of nowhere have now allowed water to leak into my sink base cabinet, all while BABYING my Rohl Allia fireclay sink I even think I heard it make a cracking noise once when draining pasta into a colander in the sink.”

    You know, fireclay sinks were used in the palace at Knossos in 2000 BC. We do actually have better options now.

    dsciontijr thanked eam44
  • 6 years ago

    @eam44 You're absolutely right. And I am returning the fireclay sink based on your and other's feedback in favor of a stainless steel sink. It was really eye-opening reading all of the comment threads about the cracking/chipping/staining issues - I wish I had thought to read them before purchasing as it would have saved me the headache of returning it.


    The fireclay sink I linked to above is specifically designed (according to the manufacturer) to work with a garbage disposal, and is under warranty for any cracks that might result from it (unlike cracks caused by dropping heavy pots, which would not be covered), so I wanted to offer the suggestion to the OP in the event that they do decide to go with fireclay and want to use a garbage disposal. It sounds like others have been successful at using one on a fireclay sink without issue, so while their experiences may be anecdotal accounts, it certainly sounds like it's possible to do!



    dsciontijr thanked Brooklyn
  • 6 years ago

    We ended up getting a quartz farmhouse sink but not yet installed. Thanks for the input all!

  • 4 years ago

    Hi! I’m looking at getting a quartz sink. How do you like it after all this time? Thanks!!