carolb_w_fl_coastal_9b

Bird Netting Vs. Black Racer

carolb_w_fl_coastal_9b

I recall a post about this happening to someone else here from some ways back.

It happened to me today. I went out to check my garden area and noticed what looked like our resident black racer snake sunning itself in my bird-netted blackberries, but at closer inspection, saw it was horribly tangled up and completely immobilised with the netting cutting cruelly into its body. I couldn't tell if it was alive or dead, but went and got some scissors and started cutting away the netting and realised it was alive as it started to stir.

I made the mistake of freeing its head before the the rest of it, and it nipped me, so I went and got heavy leather gloves to finish the job. Luckily - or unluckily for the snake - it re-snared its head so I could cut away the rest of the netting without it thrashing about or biting me, and once freed it took off in the blink of an eye.

I felt so bad for it - hoping it heals up and stays in my yard. I removed the bird netting and from now on I think I will use scare flash tape, rather than draping net over the bushes. It didn't seem to be working very well anyway, since the mockingbirds just seem to peck right through it to get at the berries

Washed my nipped finger and put some antibiotic ointment on it.

• carolb_w_fl_coastal_9b
    yesterday
    last modified: yesterday

Knowledge is power - black racers are non-venomous predators, and I'm always happy (if sometimes startled) to see them around.

Top Answer
  • juneroses Z9a Cntrl Fl

Carol: You're so brave and so kind. I would have be distraught if this had happened in my garden but I don't know if I would have been as brave as you. Knowing the snake was suffering, I may have been able to put on my badge of courage and do what you did. I don't use netting, so hopefully I need never find out. Thanks for your kindness. - June

carolb_w_fl_coastal_9b thanked juneroses Z9a Cntrl Fl
  • carolb_w_fl_coastal_9b

It was kind of a horrifying job, to be honest, but I just couldn't leave it there to die a slow death. I'm not scared of snakes, though. I'm always excited to spot one in the yard and I have seen only non-venomous ones here.

• jane__ny

That was so kind of you. I would have done the same as you, except now learning to free the body before the head! Thank you!!

I had a sad experience last week when my sweet dog, Pointer discovered a nest of bunnies and came to me with one in her mouth. I screamed at her to drop it which she finally did. Poor little bunny, just a baby. It was still moving so I hoped it would be ok. I watched it for an hour and I could see it kept trying to stand up but would just lay there. I didn't know what to do. I thought it might be frightened so I moved it back to the gardenia bush where the dog got it. It cried and I was so upset.

I checked it the next day and it had died. I couldn't see any wound but it was wet from the dogs mouth so I don't know if she punctured its body. It's been haunting me ever since.

We have so many rabbits on our property that now I just walk her and refuse to let her out in the yard. I don't want this to happen again.

Jane

carolb_w_fl_coastal_9b thanked jane__ny
  • four (9B near 9a)

Predatory carnivore species and prey in same space. What more to say.

> now I just walk her and refuse to let her out in the yard. I hope that you can continue the regimen.

carolb_w_fl_coastal_9b thanked four (9B near 9a)
  • dirtygardener

I saw a YT video the other day where a woman used tulle (the fabric) as bird netting. It has very small holes, so snakes can't get snared in it. I don't know. Seems like little birds feet would get caught, but she says it works and hasn't had any problems with it.

carolb_w_fl_coastal_9b thanked dirtygardener
  • Glenn Jones(9b)
    yesterday

Wow carol most people I know would have been to scared of the snake to cut it out. I had one get stuck in my cast net last year by the time I found it the little snake was already dead. I like most of the snakes I have around here. Wouldn't want to see any harm come to them.

carolb_w_fl_coastal_9b thanked Glenn Jones(9b)