Software
Houzz Logo Print
houmanybuild

Help with exterior options!

6 years ago

Hi all! So we are doing some color blocking with the exterior of our new build but I can’t figure out which option works best? The detached garage will be the same color as the darker section and will be to the left of the house when looking at it straight on.

Option 1: Stair tower and lower section of home beside it

Option 2: Stair tower and entire section of home beside it

Option 3: Stair tower only

Comments (27)

  • 6 years ago

    I like C

  • 6 years ago

    Also like C

  • PRO
    6 years ago

    So we are doing some color blocking

    Why?

  • 6 years ago

    @PPF. We like it 😊 this was out inspiration home

  • PRO
    6 years ago

    No extra gable, no stained columns, all same color body.


  • 6 years ago

    Yes we took off the extra gable already.. definitely agree there. Yes that is very pretty. We just wanted a little extra something. Just wanted to get other thoughts on where the color block should be. I recognize not everyone likes it 😊🤷🏽‍♀️

  • PRO
    6 years ago

    this was out inspiration home


    Your inspiration is much different than what you are planning.

  • 6 years ago

    Hmm.. yes it is different. Inspired not exact. Thank you for you comments though!

  • 6 years ago

    I like the wood posts. I like it both white and with the colour block. The colour doesn’t make me like it more...

  • 6 years ago

    Quite like the simplicity of the grey in window. Lovey

  • PRO
    6 years ago

    Seems like what should be a simple facade struggling to achieve a vertical proportion and appear larger and grander than it is.

  • 6 years ago

    It’s funny to me that architects are some of the most critical of each other’s work 🤣

  • 6 years ago

    How far into the build are you? I would love to see your floor plans but I know you know how exhausting posting them can be lol!

  • 6 years ago

    We are still pretty early. Trying to firm up plans and pick the builder. Some things may still change, i.e. kitchen/bath layout. But here is where we are now.... at least for the first floor.

  • 6 years ago

    Oh yes now I remember!!! Oops

  • 6 years ago

    Here is another possible exterior. No color blocking, just the mixed brick and hardiplank....

  • 6 years ago

    I feel like there’s a lot going on with the exterior and a lot of competing elements. If it was me and it was early enough in the process I would simplify the facade in general. If it’s too late for that I think a single color would help.

  • PRO
    6 years ago

    I like Option 1! Good Luck, It's a beautiful home :-)

  • 6 years ago

    Simplify how @jk atz? Certainly interested to hear thoughts...

  • 6 years ago

    I think there are too many competing masses. Here’s an explanation.

  • 6 years ago

    Oh ok gotcha... yeah that’s way above my pay grade, lol! Sounds like an entirely new exterior. We are definitely to far for that as that would dictate all new plans. I appreciate the insight though. I actually like the second home you posted and consider the first one to simple for me so looks to be some subjectivity in that. Thank you for taking the time to comment though!

  • PRO
    6 years ago




  • 6 years ago
    last modified: 6 years ago

    Your inspiration house was very nicely designed. I'm a complete fan.

    can you add source info?

  • 6 years ago

    @dan1888, I’m sorry I don’t....just a home we saw.

  • 6 years ago

    RS, Very nice house.

    1. Glad you dropped the extraneous upper gable .

    2. Option 3 (stairwell only) would be my color blocking choice, especially if the garage will have same color.

    3. Change the two stairwell windows to one large window or paint the light colored trim piece between the two stairwell windows the same color as the window frames so it reads as one large window.

    4. Your house won't need both brick and board/batten siding. Pick one. I would choose a solid stucco which would be stunning with the your dark windows and standing seam metal roof choice.