windberry

Sagebrush Mariposa Lily

Member of my family hiking in the Kimberlay, BC area sent me this interesting photo of a Sagebrush Mariposa Lily, Calochortus macrocarpus,

Comments (14)

• macranthos
    last month

Wow! If that Is a natural variant it should be propagated.

• Jay 6a Chicago
    last month

What's the name of the condition where a bloom is inside out? It maybe begins with F. I'm wondering if that's the case here?

• windberry zone5a BCCanada
    Original Author
    last month

I am not sure what you mean?

• Jay 6a Chicago
    last month
    last modified: last month

Pelorism, peloric flowers. I got it confused with fasciation, creating. I don't know much about pelorism , or how a Mariposa Lily would appear if affected. The flower just seems so far removed from a normal bloom, that I question whether it's just a mutation. If it is a mutation it should be reported to the local botanists in that area.

Peloric Digitalis

• Embothrium
    last month

Monstrose foxglove flowers aren't inside out, just bigger and up facing, with more lobes.

• Jay 6a Chicago
    last month

Oh, ok, thanks for clarifying. Monstrose was a rocking band in the 70s. Get on that bad motor scooter, and ride! Do you like crested cacti? I don't. They disturb me. Alien experiments on Mariposa Lilies?

• macranthos
    last month

Pelorism is the production of radially symmetrical flowers when the plant usually makes bilaterally symmetrical flowers. Since Calochortus already makes radially symmetrical flowers, a peloric version would be identical to the standard ones.

• Jay 6a Chicago
    last month

Ok, thanks. I didn't know only flowers that are bilaterally symmetrical exhibited it. Do you think it's a mutation? Hmmm. What else could it be really?

Original Author
    last month

Thank you everybody for your very interesting remarks. I will pass your comments to the owner of the original picture.

Original Author
    last month

Here is another picture of the same (or very similar) flower:

• floral_uk z.8/9 SW UK
    last month

My guess is that it was chewed while still furled in the bud.

Original Author
    last month

She told me there were more flowers like this one. Extremely unlikely they all were chewed exactly the same way.

Even if it was only one flower like this it is still very unlikely such a clean symmetrical cut was done by a bug.

• floral_uk z.8/9 SW UK
    last month

Not dissimilar symmetrical damage https://fcweedboard.com/native-plants

Ken mentioned leaf cutter bees. They and leaf cutter ants make very clean cuts.