Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
sacredshs

Concrete Driveway Issues

M. R.
3 years ago
last modified: 3 years ago

We had a local construction company do several projects for us last year. In September, they poured a new driveway for us. It was done in two pours. The first was fine. The second was very off - it literally took MONTHS to turn white. I had the owner come out and look at it. Between him and his employee, they had more than 50 years of experience and they claimed they'd never seen anything like it. He would get with the concrete company and get back with us. That never happened, but the salesperson indicated that the driveway would be redone in the spring. Spring arrived and nothing. Owner shows up with 10 minutes notice and tells me that the driveway will be fine. Apparently, the gravel was wet and it had been a problem with a few driveways after ours. No big deal, the discolorations were just magnesium, "that means nothing to you, but it does to me" and it will all be one color in time. After he left the holes began appearing- seriously, not even a week later. They almost look like rocks are popping out, but some of them are so irregular and the top of the holes are smaller than the bottom. These holes are popping up everywhere and the driveway is less than 10 months old. The driveway took so long to dry that a flow pattern can actually be seen - it's not magnesium, it can actually be felt. We waited TWO weeks to drive on it because it just seemed so funky (the owner came two weeks after we started driving on it). Our cars left tire tracks in it! Once again, the ridges can be felt.There's also a bad look to the entire thing- I have read about "cream" but there doesn't appear to be any at all. I was told that they use a much stronger concrete now and it can't be finished as nicely. I wasn't given an option- I would have liked a smooth driveway that didn't look like a street.I was told that the driveway would be fine and they're totally slammed with new work. Since the holes began appearing, I have sent photos and received absolutely no reply whatsoever. Am I correct in thinking that this driveway is going to fall apart a whole lot faster than the 22 year old driveway that was put in when our house was built?
I have photos, but I cannot find how I can attach them using a mobile phone. Obviously, there's a way...

Comments (3)

• M. R.
    Original Author
    3 years ago

A few photos of the holes...

• Izzy Mn
    3 years ago

I think they either mixed it to dry or it was starting to set up when the floated. Was it hot and dry when they poured the second time. Did they water down the ground before pour, especially if hot and dry it can suck out the water and speed up setting. I'm not an expert, just have had concrete pour many times.

• PRO
    GN Builders L.L.C
    3 years ago

Hard to tell from the pictures because they all look different and shots were taken from different distances, but it looks like concrete popouts, some call it pitted concrete.

Google it and look at some images and compare if it's the same thing, if it is, it will tell you the cause of it and how to repair it.