Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
rocknroses

Should I Put a Rambler Here?

I was staring at this sun-blasted wall yesterday, and it hit me: why not plant climbers or even a rambler here? DH wants to retain the lawn, for the dogs ...so I don’t want to take up too much of that...

But seriously, it is so hot here, and that wall is glaring at me like the evil eye. We’re leaving town for a month (to the PNW), but when we return I’d like to get this going.

I’ve never had a rambler and I like them — or are they mostly once-bloomers?

Thornless or close to it would be ideal. Fragrance always good, but not mandatory.

I’m open to non-roses too. O boy! Research time!

thanks,

Sylvia

Comments (25)

• SylviaWW 9a Hot dry SoCal
    Original Author
    3 years ago

The rose on the left is one of my Moonstones. That bed looks like this:

Crummy picture, for comparison purposes. Back row: Moonstone, baby Lavender Crush. Middle row, Love Song, a few old gray-white blooms visible. Front row, Our Lady of Guadalupe, new this year.

What colors would look good next to this?

• Lilyfinch z9a Murrieta Ca
    3 years ago

Sylvia , do you have renea yet ? It is thornless, flexible , vigorous, blooms so super much .. that’s kinda my signature answer for a anything . It is not a rambler but a climber . Oh and it smells so nice too !

SylviaWW 9a Hot dry SoCal thanked Lilyfinch z9a Murrieta Ca
  • dianela7analabama
    3 years ago

I love the idea of renea also 😀. Mel’s heritage is amazing also but it has thorns so it depends what you prefer. That wall is super awesome for roses.

• Ann-SoCalZ10b SunStZ22
    3 years ago

Lilyfinch: Thank you for sharing about Renae Rose... I never knew this rose existed. Is it really a thornless rose?!? I didn’t know there was really such a thing. Do you grow it in your garden? It sounds like a rose I need in my garden. I just read a blog post that said it makes great cut flowers and was used for a wedding. Here’s the link to the blog post. Do you think this rose would do well grown in open shade with only a few hours of late afternoon sun?

https://www.rosenotes.com/2009/08/rose-of-the-week-renae-part-2.html

• Ann-SoCalZ10b SunStZ22
    3 years ago

Lilyfinch: Where did you purchase your Renae Rose? It’s such a lovely rose... looking at your pictures from an older post... the blooms remind a bit of cherry blossoms.

• roseseek
    3 years ago

Yes, Renae is completely without prickles. It smells marvelously and it tolerates a great deal of shade with ease. You should contact Burlington Roses to inquire if she has it in stock. It will be own root and it will take a little while for it to produce the roots required for it to climb, which is where Annie Laurie McDowell inherited the issue, so get it soon, pot it in a five gallon can of good potting soil and DON'T LET IT FLOWER. Push the growth until it's large and vigorous enough to plant against that wall. You will love her.

3 years ago
    last modified: 3 years ago

Hi Ann !!

Are you on Instagram ( I’m jen.lynn.r or can you turn on messages ? I have been meaning to ask. I feel terrible bc I know you asked me some questions last week but we were on vacation so I missed replying and now I’ve forgotten the questions . Lol I’d love to chat !

I did get my renea from Burlington. I recommend the full gallon . Mine came last summer , probably July . I pitted it up for a bit , and planted it in the fall . It gets some shade , but a lot of sun . It’s already at the top of my arbor . I also grew it on a pergola in Tennessee. It’s one of my absolute favorite roses! I recommend this rose and flamenco rosita all the time .

The fragrance is hard to beat . This is my tennesee one . :)

my renea here is climbing and not blooming quite as much yet but I bet the fall will be awesome!

Mels heritage is so beautiful. It is very thorny . Well not super armed but snag ya quite a bit . I just recently saw Lisa’s and it was spectacular as usual .

I took this pic last year . I hope she dosnt mind me sharing it :)

Don’t be decieved , it’s huge !!

sSylvia , can I ask you .. how do you feel about your moonstone ? Mine is in a pot . It’s just fine , but I’m clearing my inventory and I love my Biedermeier so much more . They are so similar I wasn’t sure if I should maybe make the cut at that one :)

Original Author
    3 years ago

Responding in reverse order:

Embothrium, banksae do very well here. The HOA has them planted along various walks, etc. They are once-bloomers, though.

Lily/Jen: my Moonstones had a terrible first year. After May 15 or so, there weren’t many blooms, and the ones that did show crisped and curled almost at once, before turning into used tissue paper.. I had three and took out one. This year they are blooming more profusely and lasting longer in the garden.

I don’t know Biedermeir.

Roseseek and dianela, Renae sounds perfect. Mel’s Heritage gets a lot of positive comments on this forum, but thorns really are an issue.

Ann, If you are looking for a thornless rose, let me recommend Memorial Day. Very fragrant, light lilac, big flowers.

Original Author
    3 years ago

Just looked up Renae on helpmefind. Very impressive! Love those yellow centers. Can it really take hot afternoon sun? Because that’s what it would be getting. How many would I need for a space that is 10 to 12 feet long?

thanks,

Sylvia

• monarda_gw
    3 years ago

Does anyone grow climbing "Souvenir de la Malmaison", because I think it can take the heat. It is reputedly even more beautiful than the bush form. At least the one time I saw it, in Washington, D.C., it was 105 degrees out, and it and Jaune Despres and Climbing La France, growing trained on a fence, were completely unfazed.

SylviaWW 9a Hot dry SoCal thanked monarda_gw
  • Embothrium
    3 years ago

It was not stated in the original post that repeat bloom was a requirement.

SylviaWW 9a Hot dry SoCal thanked Embothrium
    Original Author
    3 years ago

Embothrium, what I asked was do they [ramblers] rebloom, “or are they mostly once-bloomers?”

kind of implying I would prefer frequent flowers. At least I meant to imply that.

I think there have been several great suggestions in this thread about roses that bloom through the season.

3 years ago

Sylvia , thank you for the moonstone info. I’ve always wanted this rose so I’ve talked myself back into it. It’s in one of my nicer pots and I was trying to free one up for Abraham Darby but I think I’ll let it go . Maybe Nicole carol miller will get the ax . I’m horrible!! All winter I bought and hoarded but now I spend an hour or more watering a day and I’m starting to be over it . So the proverbial ax is swinging.

Original Author
    3 years ago

Well, I’m back after a glorious month in the cool, green, wet PacNW .. and it’s still hot

here, and I’m still staring at that wall.

i was about to ask Burling if she in fact has Renae, when it occurred to me: I have two mature tea roses that are bursting out of their space. They would work well in that blank space.

How hard is it to transplant a tea? These have been where they are for over two years.

General Schablikine

Dr. Grill

I’ve been trying to train them as climbers, and would want to do that on the wall where they would go as well. I’d probably get stronger trellises, too.

Good idea or bad? They get mostly late morning/early afternoon sun now. Against that wall, there would be hours of unshaded sun.

Thanks,

Sylvia

Original Author
    3 years ago

Bump

• Sheila z8a Rogue Valley OR
    3 years ago

They look so happy where they are, Sylvia. I'm sure you could transplant them if you'd rather they move.

SylviaWW 9a Hot dry SoCal thanked Sheila z8a Rogue Valley OR
    Original Author
    3 years ago

Thanks, Sheila. I think I will just get Renae. In addition to all the other good reasons for having her, I realize I have nothing even remotely resembling a single (whIch Renae resembles even though she is a double).

• Stephanie, 9b inland SoCal
    3 years ago

About Teas as climbers, You wouldn’t be able to treat them like a classic climber that sends up those huge canes. They grow into freestanding shrubs that don’t like to be pruned down. But I think you could definitely train them to be narrower against a wall by trimming out anything that grows away from the wall too much. I have two teas along a plastic fence that I cannot train onto the fence itself. The space is narrow so my plan is to keep them no more than 3 feet from the fence, but I will let them grow sideways. It might be hard to see but that is Rosette Delizy from the side with Monsieur Tiller beyond her. Second pic is MT from the front.

SylviaWW 9a Hot dry SoCal thanked Stephanie, 9b inland SoCal
  • rifis (zone 6b-7a NJ)
    3 years ago

... sun-blasted wall ...

Mannerly fig trees.

No fragrance. No thorns. Edibles.

SylviaWW 9a Hot dry SoCal thanked rifis (zone 6b-7a NJ)
    Original Author
    3 years ago

rfls, thinking outside the box! Fig trees here become giants, however, 20-30 feet high according to UC Riverside’s garden web site, ”but can be pruned to a smaller size.” I am not fond of ladders and can’t see myself trying to keep something that wants to be 30 feet at 8 to 10 feet.

Too bad, because figs are delicious,

3 years ago

When I was planning my yard I researched dwarf figs. I didn’t get it but this was my top choice.
    https://www.monrovia.com/plant-catalog/plants/3459/corkys-honey-delight-fig/

SylviaWW 9a Hot dry SoCal thanked Stephanie, 9b inland SoCal
    Original Author
    3 years ago

Well, I‘ve just ordered three Renaes from Burlington— that is, I emailed her to confirm availability. Exciting!

Digging up the lawn for these will be fun ... maybe. When it cools off.

thanks for your help, lilyfinch and all!

• Vaporvac Z6-OhioRiverValley
    3 years ago

Sylvia, there are many varieties of figs. I'm sure you could find some that would fit! :-) or at least one!

SylviaWW 9a Hot dry SoCal thanked Vaporvac Z6-OhioRiverValley
    3 years ago

Renae looks lovely. Keep us updated when they start to fill in!