Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
laims

staking a weeping Norway spruce

laims
3 years ago

We’d like to replace a bamboo stake that came with our weeping norway spruce with a taller one. Do we just add another bamboo piece to extend or remove the old one and replace entirely with a new stake?

Thanks!

Comments (9)

• gardengal48 (PNW Z8/9)
    3 years ago

Replace with a taller stake. Impossible to get any structural integrity by just tacking on another length of bamboo.......

• ken_adrian Adrian MI cold Z5
    3 years ago

without a pic.. i will guess.. that was just a shipping stake ...

replace it if you must ...

but before you do.. may i ask why it continues to need staking ...???

how about a pic ... and more info.. when planted.. how.. ball and burlap or potted... etc ...

ken

• laims
    Original Author
    3 years ago

Here is a photo - it’s already planted and was potted (no burlap). We’d like to restake to make it a few feet taller. Came with the bamboo stake when purchased. We have a taller metal one we are thinking of using.

3 years ago

staking for stability .... which it doesnt look like you need .. is one way ...

but staking for training.. is another thing ... and sometimes that can be done by splinting two together ...

this should have been done in spring.. when those 3 were soft and pliable.. im thinking you may not be able to bend one back this time of year... i have to mull this.. and possibly wait until someone else chimes in ... so we can argue about it.. lol ...

just thinking out loud right now.. but maybe one of those slightly lower.. thinner ones might be able to be SLIGHTLY bent up to achieve atypical dominance ... do it slowly.. a little at a time .. so you dont break it .. been there.. done that ...

one thing for sure.. next springs buds are right there ... if you cut them off.. it might not bud out.. if you happen to remove all from a given branch ...

as to the new stake ... slide the old one out .. then slide the new one in .. using the same hole.. and tap it in gently ... you want to minimize potential root damage ...

ken

3 years ago

i used to use old fashioned COTTON clothes line ... large stuff .. so my fat fingers could untie and retie it every so often ...

and if i ever forgot about it.. because the tree grew and hid it.. it would rot off ...

not the stuff that had a plastic core ...

ken

• plantkiller_il_5
    3 years ago

And what is the cultivar .. it makes a differencs

ron

• laims
    Original Author
    3 years ago

It’s a weeping gold drift Norway spruce

• bernbecca
    3 years ago

what a pretty tree you have, just about to add new pics of mine to an old thread to maybe help others in the future on what to expect growing wise. Mine also has those branches near the top kind of going up but didn't stake any of them to become a new leader. It had two buds that are green coming from the top but they haven't grown since they opened, guess I'll learn more next year

Sponsored
NME Builders LLC
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars2 Reviews
Industry Leading General Contractors in Franklin County, OH